Coagulation May Be Activated by Prolonged Air Travel

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

I thought this was interesting, so I posted the article abstract as the site is access controlled to members:

March 14, 2006 ? Coagulation factors are activated more during prolonged air travel than in other immobilizing situations, according to the results of a crossover study reported in the March 11 issue of The Lancet. The editorialist recommends appropriate prophylaxis for deep vein thrombosis.

"Activation of coagulation occurs in some individuals after an 8-hour flight, indicating an additional mechanism to immobilization underlying air travel related thrombosis," senior author Frits Rosendaal, MD, from Leiden University Medical Centre in the Netherlands, said in a news release.

To separate the effect of air travel on the coagulation system from those of immobilization and circadian rhythm, the investigators measured markers of activation of coagulation and fibrinolysis in 71 healthy volunteers (15 men, 56 women) before, during, and after an 8-hour flight, and in 2 control exposure situations (8-hour movie marathon and daily life). Of the 71 participants, 30 had no specific risk factors, 11 had the factor V Leiden mutation, 15 took oral contraceptives but did not have the Leiden mutation, and 15 took oral contraceptives and had the Leiden mutation.

Median concentrations of thrombin-antithrombin (TAT) complex increased by 30.1% after the flight (95% confidence interval [CI], 11.2 ? 63.2), but decreased by 2.1% (95% CI, -11.2 to 14) after the movie and by 7.9% (95% CI, -16.2 to -1.2) after the daily life situation. Increase in TAT levels was especially marked in 11 (17%) of 66 participants after air travel, in 2 (3%) of 68 during the movie marathon, and in 1 (1%) of 70 in daily life. These increases were most apparent in participants with the factor V Leiden mutation who used oral contraceptives. After the flight, 4 (6.3%) of 63 volunteers had a high response in all variables (prothrombin fragment 1 and 2, TAT, and D-dimer), but none of the participants had this response after either of the control situations.

"Our findings indicate that flight-associated factors ? e.g., hypobaric hypoxia ? lead to increased thrombin generation after air travel, especially in individuals with the factor V Leiden mutation who also took oral contraceptives," the authors write.

Study limitations include lack of randomization of the order of the 3 exposure situations, lack of blinding of the volunteers, blood drawing more difficult than during a routine blood draw in the clinic, and possible artifacts due to preanalytic activation of coagulation.

The UK Government and the European Commission sponsored this study. The authors have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

In an accompanying editorial, Hans Stricker, MD, from Ospedale La Carità in Locarno, Switzerland, discusses measures to help prevent potentially fatal thromboembolism during flights. These include intermittent calf contraction and avoiding excessive sedation due to alcohol or sedative drugs.

"We do not favor an indiscriminate use of prophylactic heparin because the incidence of mostly asymptomatic and distal deep vein thrombosis is estimated to be less than 4% after long-haul flights and fatal pulmonary embolism is rare, with an estimated death rate of 1 per 2 million passengers of international flights terminating in Australia," Dr. Stricker writes. "Thus medical prevention should be limited to persons at risk, such as those with a history of VTE [venous thromboembolism], active cancer, or recent major surgery or minor surgery of the lower extremities. The study by Schreijer and colleagues shows us that women on oral contraception and individuals with a mutation of factor V should be offered the possibility of extended prophylactic measures, such as low-molecular-weight heparin or compressive stockings."

Dr. Stricker has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Lancet. 2006;367:792-794, 832-838

Jeff, I've read these studies, too. What I find interesting is that the phenomenon of blood clots in the legs was first described in the early 1940s among people who spent the night in London underground bomb shelters. They were probably below sea level in a place with high humidity. Now the researchers say that it is related to altitude and low humidity.

Anyway mechanical valvers don't kave to worry about this because they are already anticoagulated.

Hmmm...my husband takes a lot of long flights and happens to have a resting heartrate as low as 38. Does his bradycardia increase his risk of developing a clot? Would it make sense to take an aspirin during or after long flights?

The clots that occur during flights are in the veins. This is a stagnation problem. Aspirin works in arteries. People do not get arterial clots from long flights. The guidelines used to say that aspirin could be considered if warfarin was not acceptable or tolerated. Now they say that aspirin is not effective in venous clots and should never be used for this purpose. I think that long fligths are usually defined as 10,000 Km or 6,800 miles or more. So any flight that starts and ends in the same country is a short flight. Denver to London non-stop is about the minimum of a long flight. Chicago to Sydney, Australia non-stop is a long flight.

Move around to avoid DVT!

Move around to avoid DVT!

Those of us that do ultrasound exams have known for a long time that many patients after a long flight or automobile trip where they have been immobilized for hours develop a swollen mildly painful leg. Then they are referred for ultrasound exam and all too often we find DVT (deep venous thrombosis). At our Kaiser clinic these patients are started on Lovenox immediately and anticoagulated with warfarin. If they don't throw an embolism and subsequent ultrasounds show that the clot has shrunk and become fibrotic the anticoagulation is stopped. If the clot is unstable , or if it looks like its spreading the patient is referred to an interventional radiologist who puts a filter in the inferior vena cava to catch any emboli before they get to the lungs.So I don't think its altitude or humidity that causes DVT as much as immobilization with legs cramped in extreme flexion for long periods that trigger the clots. Remember the young imbedded newsman in Iraq that died after a long period riding in a I think a tank or maybe a Humvee. He was crammed in for hours they say. When I take a long flight I make sure to get up once every hour and walk up and down the aisle for at least five minutes.

Reactions: Amy
Marty, the study Jeff posted does seem to distinguish a greater risk for long (8 hour) flights versus 8 hours sitting on land.

My husband does take a lot of long flights (yes, 8+ hours), but it sounds like his best defense against DVT (short of ACT) is still movement. Can anyone speak to whether bradycardia poses any additional risk?

Don't know that anyone ever studied bradycardia. It does seem that a heart rate that low would be a risk for causing stagnation. I assume with your screen name that he is a runner. If he is not, then he is a candidate for a pacemaker.

The other thing that makes me wonder about differentiating the types of trips is that I see people all the time who get them from driving long distances. Out here you can put the cruise control on 80 and never even have to touch the brake but maybe once or twice for a whole tank of gas. Many of the people who come to my clinic will drive 80 miles to get a Big Mac. Once I drove 240 miles (round trip) after work to go to a Dairy Queen -- that was before diabetes!!!

PJmomrunner said:
Marty, the study Jeff posted does seem to distinguish a greater risk for long (8 hour) flights versus 8 hours sitting on land.

My husband does take a lot of long flights (yes, 8+ hours), but it sounds like his best defense against DVT (short of ACT) is still movement. Can anyone speak to whether bradycardia poses any additional risk?

I guess this is the point the article was trying to make. However in my practise I see more DVT after long auto trips.(small Japanese cars?). My advice- on a long air trip, get up and walk the aisle every hour ( no matter how much it might inconvenience your seat mates). On long auto trips, stop every 200 miles , get out and take a little walk. In your husbands case I would say walk fast and get that heart rate up a little.

PJ. Not understanding the dynamics at all, really, would upping the blood pressure bring up the bradychardia? Maybe a little caffeine and some salty snack? My daughter has bradychardia (which I just noticed recently on her echo report and thought to look it up) but I believe her athleticism (NCAA volleyball player) is the reason. I am interested in responses here. I'm sure sometime in the next few years she will become interested in birth control and I want to be ready.

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back