CoaguChek strips Self test INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWyndham

Hiya
Wondering what CoaguChek XS test strips are like for monitoring INR if anyone's used them? I go for tests biweekly and am wondering if this is a good alternative with metallic heart valve or if its not as acurate perhaps as going in weekly

A number of us use them. I find them very close to a lab processed vein draw and have been accordingly monitoring myself and self determining my dose for years now. There are some other members who do the same, others just self test and report.

Well worth it. You'll find ma y posts about this topic here :)

I test weekly as do a number of others here, but biweekly would also be better than monthly

Best Wishes

This spam post thing is frustrating to say the least... save posts before you edit them

I have been self testing/managing with a coaguchek XS since the end of 2015 and have nothing but good things to say about the whole process,

takes a wee bit of getting the hang of and having confidence in your own testing but once you are there you are sprinting.

My hospital lab also uses a coaguchek XS Plus (same machine but records the data to a system),

from what I've seen at the lab they check their 4 machines calibration everyday and from early on when I was gaining confidence with my meter and testing myself as well when I went there, to now the occaisional side by side testing with their meter I have had no reason to doubt the accuracy of my meter at all.

And I haven't had a vein blood draw to check my INR since I was in hospital for my AVR.

There is an immune disorder called Antiphospholid Antibody Syndrome which affects blood clotting hence some sufferers are anticoagulated with warfarin.
The machines cannot be used by these sufferers due to the antibodies in their blood and the reagent used in the strips from what I understand. That is the only condition I’m aware of where the XS machines are not suitable.
So you would be fine with your mechanical- I have a St Jude mechanical.

Here in NZ the strips are around $7 each so not a big outlay to test weekly when you can do it at your convenience and you don't have to travel anywhere.

Theres also some good clips on youtube to learn the process

Back