Coagucheck

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sutro

Just received in the mail info from Roche on the Coagucheck system. It's decribed as a "Simple 4-step system", but they then go on to require $300 for patient training in use of the device. This makes no sense at all to me: Either it's a simple user-friendly system as they say it is, or appropriate use of the system requires $300 worth of training. Pick one, can't have both.

Anyone know what the scoop on this is? Seems to me that the system is more difficult to use than they say, or that the $300 for training is a blatant ripoff.

Re; Coaguchek Training

Re; Coaguchek Training

Hi Sutro, One of the reasons Roche went out of the Coaguchek business for individuals was the cost of training. They told me it cost about $400 bucks for each $1200 dollar unit they sold and I believe it. I've had my Coaguchek now for over three years and love it. I am an MD with lots of lab experience but I needed the trainer. She came to my house one Sunday afternoon and spent about three hours training me and my wife!She was a skilled smart lab tech and they don't work cheap. Since then I've gotten pretty good but still screw up occasionally if I don't keep my mind on what I'm doing. I've helped train two pretty smart people who needed more than one training session. No - self testing is one of those things that are easy when you know how but not so easy before. I was lucky in that I got my Coaguchek and the training for free but knowing what I do now, the accuracy ( when its working right and I've never had any trouble, poor Gina) and the great convenience of testing when and where I wish: I would gladly pay full price for the unit and then pay for the training in addition. Where do you live? I'd be glad to help you if you're in 50 miles of Washington or if not I will help by Email like I did Dick Vincent in Houston. (he was a sharp pupil!)

Last edited:
Home testing/easy? hmmm

Home testing/easy? hmmm

Hi Marty,

I found your info interesting...so it's not as easy as I 1st believed, evidently. Your being a doctor and still needing the training says alot.

I'm wondering if this may be why my insurance denied coverage. I haven't spoken to my Cardiologist about it, but have plans to in the future. Gathering information here has been an important part of why I've held off speaking with him and also contesting my insurance company's decision. Will ponder on it more. Thank you.

Salud,

Joan *~*

Marty was a big help. I travel and spend much time overseas so I bought my "S" in the UK and brought it back to the states. I did not even try to claim it on insurance. Mine came with a viedeo and very exact and specific instructions.

My problem was never figuring out to use the machine. I believe it is easy. It was figuring out to extract enough blood. Gina and Marty were both a big help with their suggestions.

I am very glad I sprung for the machine even though it was out of my own pocket. Well worth the money. Go for it if you can.

Home Testing

Home Testing

Whatever brand of machine you decide on (I have the ProTime and love it), the important thing is that you will be taking charge of your healthcare in way. You decide when you test. You learn how your body reacts to external influences (diet, environment, other meds). You begin to take an active part in your life and I feel this is vital in the big picture. Of course you will do all this under the direction of a physician. And if your Dr. thinks it's a bad idea - drop him like a bad valve!

THANKS!

THANKS!

You guys and gals are great! When I do purchase the unit I'm sure I will feel that I am more in control and can experiment a bit and test more often.

Since I work in a hospital and walk down the hall for my test and get a break in billing..I do not meet any of the criteria for insurance to cover. I plan on taking the time to talk to my Doc to obtain a script, but somehow I haven't found the right time as yet!

Thank you Dick, Hank and all for reassuring me that it's not all THAT difficult..got me worried for a bit. I'll get myself in gear one of these days and get that script...I hope!

Sincerely,

Joan *~*

In about a week I will be going to a doctor's office to get a INR test with one of those pin prick devices. I am not sure what device they have (I have been getting the test in a lab drawing blood for 13 years). How will I know if the technician on this new machine is properly trained and making the measurement correctly? What do I look for?

I agree with Marty. I, too, got my machine when they were not charging for the trainer to come to my home. We spent 3 hours working together and it took me about 3 months to become both confident using it. It is not difficult, and there is a book that is easy to follow, but I did make several mistakes. However, I, too, agree that being in charge of this has meant a lot to me. My insurance refused to pay for it, but I did my homework and protested and eventually, they did pay for it. The research that I found says that those of us who check our own INR have fewer incidences of bleeding or clotting than those who are checked in clinics or labs. Good luck. Arlene

Love my CoaguChek 'S'

Love my CoaguChek 'S'

I've had my CoaguChek 'S' since November and whilst I did have some teething problems in the begining, but I love it now! It's great!!

Personally I didn't find it too difficult to use. I had a video with mine and a pretty good booklet. Also, the Roche Nurse met me at my local hospital to check I was using the system correctly. There is no charge for training here in the UK. I just called Roche and they arranged for their nurse to meet me.

I hope it all works out well for you.

Take care,

Jonathan (aged 34)
Complex Congenital Heart Disease
Aortic Valve & Root replacement - Oct. 98
CarboMedics CarboSeal prosthesis (27mm)

I use a CoaguChek in my clinic and have done about 12,000 tests with it. I have found them to be very reliable.

The errors usually involve mental concentration. The patient tells a good joke and the next thing you know I've got a drop of blood hanging from a finger and no test strip in the machine!!!

The training involves mainly doing the proper steps in the proper order. I was told that Roche got out of the individual sales for a similar reason to what Marty wrote. The help line was costing them too much money. This is probably why they went to charging for the training.

If you can use a computer, you can use a CoaguChek. They key to both is doing the proper operations.

I have been talking with a sales rep from Roche Diagnostics. I'm hoping to be able to bring a CoaguChek to Las Vegas.

I think that I may be the person in the US, if not the world, who has done the most tests on a CoaguChek, I estimate that it is about 13,000.

Roche

Roche

The pharmacists that does my INR at the anti-coagulation clinic also uses a Coaguchek and it looks really simple. I am going to look into it for myself. I can use a computer so what the heck! I do like the idea of having a little more control over my INR. :)

Allodwick

Have you seen or used an "S" and if so, what is your take on it?

Dick

I think that the only model they are selling now is the S (or at least pushing). I've read about it. Right now I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode.

This is from someone I know at Roche.

In regards to Patient-Self-Testing: Roche (unless a surprise announcement from Medicare is made) for 2002 will to be, to accept limited number of new patients for PST, and not aggressively seek new patients.

I used the ProTime unit about an hour after receiving it and reviewing the videotape and instructional material that accompanied it. I got perfect results on that first test. I was called twice by an RN training nurse who was to walk me through the procedure that I had already completed. It was not a problem at all. I don't know how the CoaguCheck works since it was not available for home testing last December, but the ProTime does have two critical time components - you must collect the sample within a fixed time (about 2 minutes) and you must remove the collection cup within 6 seconds of the blood being drawn into the unit. A two minute collection time seemed short when you were not used to using the unit so I was always afraid of not having enough time. As I used the unit more and more, I'm easily able to complete the blood collection process with nearly a minute to spare. Good luck with your choice - I'm sure either one will work out well. Home testing is the only way to go.

I was just reading the different posts about Coaguchek & training . This is true that the patient pays $300. for this service. But what no body said is ,you cannot buy supplies till the trainer has certified you. So this could put a damper on the idea of someone else helping you other than their trainer.
Another statement made by Allodwick mentioned the hanging drop with no test strip in machine, even with a test strip in the machine you need to drop that sample in a certain spot to make the test, if you miss that spot then that test strip is blown ($8.00 wasted).So even with professionals using this machine they have failed tests, due to operator error.
Since we are a sponsor of this page I just want to tell you that the ease of use on the ProTime Instrument is much more user friendly. It's the KISS method. Q.A.S. has never charged anyone for training, although we do pay our trainers well.
If cost is a concern, & insurance is not involved we try to help each of our patients acquire a monitor with a payment plan or work with them the best we can to help them. Even as we have grown, we still try tohelp those on medicare or that have no insurance coverage. Thank you for reading.

Capillary Tubes,etc.

Capillary Tubes,etc.

Woody, I think you guys at QAS are great and I tell everybody who asks you give great follow up support to your customers.

Now I started with the Coaguchek because it was prescribed by my doctor and I have grown to love the little monitor.After I got it and went through training I did have touble getting the blood sample on the spot on the test strip. I complained to Roche 24/7 help line about this and lo...they solved my problem.
They sent me capillary tubes with little rubber bulbs..With these you can draw up from a tiny drop of blood on your finger enough to squirt right on the test strip spot and I haven't wasted a test strip since.

Also I get 15 test strips for $90.00, which comes out to $6.00 a test strip.

Woody I still thank you for the Tenderletts you sent me. It is a much better way to draw blood from a finger than the Roche Softclix Lancet.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I asked my internist why the Medical Center did not have a Coagucheck or Protime device. He thought they were not accurate. I told him that they are accurate. He went to the invasive cardiologist in the next office to check. Lo and behold he had a Coagucheck and said they were accurate. I was told I could show up anytime for an INR test. I showed up today and I got the test quickly and it was in line with previous results via the blood draw.

When I got home I received a phone call from my internist's nurse who told me the cardiologist, who by the way is my cardiologist, was not taking any more protime patients and that I need to use the Lab for the tests. The Lab is located in the Medical Center but is actually part of the nearby hospital. They do the tests the "old fashioned way". Sounds like some bureaucratic politics is going on to force patients to use the Lab. I guess I will have to make some noise to get the Lab to modernize.

Latest posts

Back