Coagucheck machine life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do u keep the batteries inside or remove after each test?
I keep the batteries inside because
  • the clock needs to be set (with time and date), which is annoying
  • less risk of damaging the machine by removing the hatch and dropping it
I use Energiser, but Maxell or any well known brand. Only use Alkaline batteries (not carbon). Replace batteries every year even if they seem full. Compared to machine damage a packet of 4AAA batteries isn't even the cost of one strip.

I'm extremely sus

Once something is gone it's gone. When the metal has been corroded away it's gone. The springs are not solid they are typically coated.

Smell like clickbait, but if you've personally tried this and can personally vouch for it that's good.

But it's got this smell about it

clickbait trap.jpg

Just speaking as one who has had to replace battery terminals in the gear I was employed to service as a technician for a couple of years.

I don't work for Eveready. I don't work for any battery company.

Kirkland batteries have leaked in a lot of my devices. I'll have to check devices that have Duraleaks in them,

I just started using Eveready Lithium - I don't have enough history to say whether or not they're better than the Alkaline batteries -- BUT - they use a different chemistry than Alkaline batteries, and Eveready claims that they last longer - so the batteries should be made well enough that it takes them longer to leak. I don't know if the Eveready batteries are Lithium Ion or some other chemistry, so I can't predict anything about life or leakability - but many of our devices (cell phones, for example) have LiIon batteries built in and designed to NOT be user replaceable - failures are usually inability to hold a charge, rather than leakage (but these are well sealed batteries and may not be comparable to AAs).

I have some AA Eveready Alkaline batteries that I bought a few years ago - I haven't used them - but they haven't leaked while they were on the shelf.

FWIW - Walmart currently has Eveready lithium batteries on sale -- but saving a few bucks may not be worth the trouble.

but they haven't leaked while they were on the shelf.
the "so called" leaking is in the main an electrolysis reaction. In the packet there is no circuit and therefore not electrolysis likely.

However I have seen (in our office) a large jar of depleted batteries leak badly after a few years of storage (like 5).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok, so I gave the account an extra click, so right here we can see this is designed to just get clicks on itself

I stopped the video at this early point (not least so he won't get paid) and found this:
1700771224580.png

expanding we can see what I've put arrows at:

1700770822730.png

note at the orange arrows, the corrosion (which is blue, because its in all likelyhood copper sulphate) is a powdery crystal. This can't magically go back to the metal it was in the shape it was; no matter what you use (well ok, a Time Machine will do it). Then note the red arrow. At the place where the battery is actually touching the terminal is clean.

I wonder ... how come this is? 🤔 Its almost like someone put a drop of acid (say vinegar) onto the termainals back where the orange arrows are just to cause this lightly for the purposes of being the "rescue hero" and getting clicks which pay him on his youtube channel.

This will likely clean off without issue and have no effect on the system because its not where the battery is making electrical contact with the spring.

I suggest that if it was simple I'd have been doing it back when I learned how to be a technician.

Lastly:

so yes ... in the main if its on YouTube or tiktok its fake or a scam.

This is actually the most popular (among Australian clicks) post on my blog

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2020/06/fixing-ozito-x-batteries.html
Note that it contains no magic, no ads and no monetisation.

Last edited:
I don't work for Eveready. I don't work for any battery company.

Kirkland batteries have leaked in a lot of my devices. I'll have to check devices that have Duraleaks in them,

I just started using Eveready Lithium - I don't have enough history to say whether or not they're better than the Alkaline batteries -- BUT - they use a different chemistry than Alkaline batteries, and Eveready claims that they last longer - so the batteries should be made well enough that it takes them longer to leak. I don't know if the Eveready batteries are Lithium Ion or some other chemistry, so I can't predict anything about life or leakability - but many of our devices (cell phones, for example) have LiIon batteries built in and designed to NOT be user replaceable - failures are usually inability to hold a charge, rather than leakage (but these are well sealed batteries and may not be comparable to AAs).

I have some AA Eveready Alkaline batteries that I bought a few years ago - I haven't used them - but they haven't leaked while they were on the shelf.

FWIW - Walmart currently has Eveready lithium batteries on sale -- but saving a few bucks may not be worth the trouble.

I don't think the Lithiums give you much of an advantage in the Coagchek but can't really say. Don't think they put that much a draw on the batteries to make good use of the Lithiums (?). I don't think they'll leak though so maybe that is an advantage.

For the times I recorded live concerts with portable DAT decks that used AA batteries the ONLY batteries that would last through a whole show were Lithiums btw, so I used nothing other than those (Everready). Also they're the only ones that one of my old battery eating cameras would last longer than like 20 photos on.

I have some rechargeable NiMH, but haven't used them in that role, either.

What the Lithium batteries probably do is extend the time between battery changes. If they don't leak, it may make thinking about changing them not as big a deal -- my Alkaline batteries lasted at least a year, so I can expect maybe twice that with the Lithium batteries.

If we change the Alkaline batteries every six months or so, they may still have a good charge on them, but replacing them before they leak (at the cost of maybe a few dollars), I suspect that the issue of leakage can be avoided. The main advantage of Lithium batteries is longer time between changes - used weekly, the meters don't eat batteries like other devices (cameras, remote controls, etc.)

I use these Rechargeable EBL batteries, same ones since nov-2015, i do remove them once a year and recharge them that is all i have done, no errors, no issues for me. Not saying they are the best, but they have been inside my Xs since nov-15-2015, same ones. Got them on amazon.

Attachments

• PILAS-COAG.jpg
    PILAS-COAG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I received my coagucheck machine yesterday, INR 2.7. I decided to remove the batteries out after test , setting date may take 2 minutes extra, but I don't want to take risk this time..

I received my coagucheck machine yesterday, INR 2.7. I decided to remove the batteries out after test , setting date may take 2 minutes extra, but I don't want to take risk this time..
My view is that replacing the batteries and setting the clock every week is a bad idea.
Just buy good alkaline batteries and replace them yearly.

I agree with pellicle, just use decent AAA alkalines every year and don't worry about it. If you want to be ultra-cautious, just remove the battery cover every three months and take a look - don't actually take the batteries out. You'll see any signs of battery leakage and at that stage it would be easily scraped off the terminals without permanent damage. I really can't remember the last time I had an alkaline battery leak and I use quite a lot, both at home and in church where the microphones use them (and no, rechargeables are generally unsuitable because of the lower voltage - 1.2V vs 1.5V).

If you want to be ultra-cautious, just remove the battery cover every three months and take a look - don't actually take the batteries out.
you've got me thinking ... what about a smear of vaso on the battery terminals?

Anyway, I've not had any corrosion problems in the 12 years I've used mine, but I change the batteries about every second tube of strips (never wait for the battery warning). I never buy cheapo batteries and I always use alkaline cells (presently varta, but often maxell or energizer. My long standing experience of many digital cameras and PDA's which used AA or AAA has been I won't touch Duracel with your pole).

I'm going to emphasise to always keep the machine in a dry place (so no, not the bathroom) because corrosion is good mates with humidity.

1701074927812.png

HTH
PS: just replace the word freak with geek and you've got it

Awwww .... Geek OUT!!

Pellicle's advice about when to change the batteries is right on -- I suspect this is based on two tubes of 24 and weekly testing (Pellicle probably tests like clockwork). It doesn't make sense to remove batteries after every test. then readjusting the clock and calendar -- too much work, too much possibility of error creeping in when you have to continually have to change date and time.

A year or two ago, I got three Coag-Sense meters - really inexpensive - listed as 'parts' -- and two of the three were destroyed by leaky batteries. I have no idea how long the batteries were in the meters, but it DOES make sense to check every 6 or 12 months to make sure the bateries are good - or just replace them with good new ones as a simple form of insurance.

A new meter costs a lot more than a pair of batteries.

In my experience Duracell have taken a huge quality hit. Always thought they were great but in recent years they've fouled up multiple devices I've had - flashlights, remotes, everything I used them for, with leakage in a year or less. I will never buy a Duracell product ever again. I remember checking reviews on Amazon after my probs and read other folks complaining of same probs. Think someone even called them "Duraleaks".

Am not going to name what batteries I've switched to since am not trying to promote/advertise any brands. Other than to say I use alkaline batteries in my Coaguchek in answer to the OP's question. Also for most of my fouled up remotes etc I was able to clean up the leakage corruded messes inside of most of them thx to instructions on the 'net. Some I had to toss though & replace, which was a major pain for old rare remotes....
I agree, duracells are not what they used to be.

I have the Coagucheck in time 3 years now. I had to call the company to install more tests. They helped me out with no problem except language barrier which we finally worked out. Here in Quebec Canada we speak both English and French. But mostly French... So its tricky sometimes.. But it works great.

Back