Coagucheck machine life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiv

Do you all use coagucheck machine for PT/INR, what is the age of the Machine? Which batteries you use, zinc carbon or alkaline batteries? My machine got bad due to battery leakage. Did anyone face this? Comments/feedback please

I can't find the purchase record for my Coaguchek XS, but it's at least 12 years old. Currently there's Duracell alkalines in it, but I'll use any decent alkaline battery - even Amazon's. I haven't used zinc carbon batteries in anything during this century, I'd strongly advise against them as I remember them being much more prone to leaking corrosive gunge and not lasting long - I'd be surprised if you can still buy them.

~5 yo. Alkaline. Didn't take them out but had leakage and had to clean off the machine's contacts to get it to work right. I may start taking them out. I started tracking when they are replaced.
When did it leak? Leaked with which brand of alkaline cell?

I had a CoaguChek from pre-2010. I've also use the Coag-Sense meters (my latest had an internal rechargeable battery).

The CoaguChek meters are built to run thousands of tests -- 50 or so tests each year shouldn't cause much of a challenge to these meters - or to their accuracy (the code chips take care of that aspect).

As far as leaking batteries go -- the only time my batteries leaked was from non-use. As was already stated, your meter will start giving errors when the power gets low -- probably before the batteries start to leak.

I've used Costco batteries (which HAVE leaked in some devices), but prefer Duracell. I've used the lithium AA from Eveready in some devices (not in my CoaguChek), with no isses.

Maybe we all should get into the habit of checking our batteries whenever we change a code strip (a new set of strips)?

I had a CoaguChek from pre-2010. I've also use the Coag-Sense meters (my latest had an internal rechargeable battery).

The CoaguChek meters are built to run thousands of tests -- 50 or so tests each year shouldn't cause much of a challenge to these meters - or to their accuracy (the code chips take care of that aspect).

As far as leaking batteries go -- the only time my batteries leaked was from non-use. As was already stated, your meter will start giving errors when the power gets low -- probably before the batteries start to leak.

I've used Costco batteries (which HAVE leaked in some devices), but prefer Duracell. I've used the lithium AA from Eveready in some devices (not in my CoaguChek), with no isses.

Maybe we all should get into the habit of checking our batteries whenever we change a code strip (a new set of strips)?
Which batteries you use in coagucheck?

Should we remove the batteries each time after the measurement and add back later and remove again, will that help

Hi Shiv.

I've had my Coaguchek for about 32 months. I changed the batteries for the first time two weeks ago. Like @LondonAndy, I noticed that even though it was not indicating that I needed new batteries, I started getting frequent error messages, for other codes not battery related. I put in new batteries and the error messages seem to have stopped. I do leave my batteries in my device.

When did it leak? Leaked with which brand of alkaline cell?
Duracell. They aren't what they used to be. It leaked a few months ago.

I had Chuck's problem and contacted Roche. They told me to replace the batteries and that fixed it.

Batteries are relatively cheap. The meter will start giving errors when the batteries get low. I'm currently using Duracell, but may spend a few more dollars on the Eveready Lithium -- they should last longer -- especially when they don't get a lot of use. As far as leakage, I don't know.

I used to get 24 or 48 strips at a time - now I get six at a time and am grateful. If you live in a country that switches from Daylight Savings to 'standard' time, it may make sense to switch batteries whenever the time changes - or perhaps just remember to switch at around six month intervals (although batteries can probably go a year or more without leaking). For a few extra dollars a year, this may be a good way to reduce the risk of battery leakage in your meter.

I have some meters that I don't use often and DO remove the batteries, replacing them when I want to start using the meter - or using it to validate results from another meter - it just means setting up the time and date and data you want to see on screen. I'm going to start switching every six months so, out of an abundance of caution.

Duracell. They aren't what they used to be. It leaked a few months ago.

I had Chuck's problem and contacted Roche. They told me to replace the batteries and that f

Batteries are relatively cheap. The meter will start giving errors when the batteries get low. I'm currently using Duracell, but may spend a few more dollars on the Eveready Lithium -- they should last longer -- especially when they don't get a lot of use. As far as leakage, I don't know.

I used to get 24 or 48 strips at a time - now I get six at a time and am grateful. If you live in a country that switches from Daylight Savings to 'standard' time, it may make sense to switch batteries whenever the time changes - or perhaps just remember to switch at around six month intervals (although batteries can probably go a year or more without leaking). For a few extra dollars a year, this may be a good way to reduce the risk of battery leakage in your meter.

I have some meters that I don't use often and DO remove the batteries, replacing them when I want to start using the meter - or using it to validate results from another meter - it just means setting up the time and date and data you want to see on screen. I'm going to start switching every six months so, out of an abundance of caution.
Can we use lithium batteries in coagucheck?

Eveready makes a non-rechargeable AA lithium battery. They have the same voltage as other AA batteries. They're expensive but are supposed to last much longer than Alkaline batteries.

As long as the voltage is the same, I see no reason why you couldn't use them. I don't know about leakage issues, but suspect that you probably won't have to worry about leakage for a long time when you use these batteries.

The brand I use is Duracell. I leave them in the machine. I have noticed that I start to get error messages before the machine shows a "low battery" warning, but changing the batteries stops the errors.

In my experience Duracell have taken a huge quality hit. Always thought they were great but in recent years they've fouled up multiple devices I've had - flashlights, remotes, everything I used them for, with leakage in a year or less. I will never buy a Duracell product ever again. I remember checking reviews on Amazon after my probs and read other folks complaining of same probs. Think someone even called them "Duraleaks".

Am not going to name what batteries I've switched to since am not trying to promote/advertise any brands. Other than to say I use alkaline batteries in my Coaguchek in answer to the OP's question. Also for most of my fouled up remotes etc I was able to clean up the leakage corruded messes inside of most of them thx to instructions on the 'net. Some I had to toss though & replace, which was a major pain for old rare remotes....

In my experience Duracell have taken a huge quality hit. Always thought they were great but in recent years they've fouled up multiple devices I've had - flashlights, remotes, everything I used them for, with leakage in a year or less. I will never buy a Duracell product ever again. I remember checking reviews on Amazon after my probs and read other folks complaining of same probs. Think someone even called them "Duraleaks".

Am not going to name what batteries I've switched to since am not trying to promote/advertise any brands. Other than to say I use alkaline batteries in my Coaguchek in answer to the OP's question. Also for most of my fouled up remotes etc I was able to clean up the leakage corruded messes inside of most of them thx to instructions on the 'net. Some I had to toss though & replace, which was a major pain for old rare remotes....
Which brand u use now

Back