Clip instead of mitral valve surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3546149.stm

<< Scientists have developed a device which they say could help patients who would otherwise need heart surgery.

Researchers told the American Cardiology Conference a tiny metal clip could help patients with a faulty heart valve.

Patients currently have invasive surgery to replace the valve, so their heart can work properly.

But the researchers said the clip, fed to the heart via a vein, repaired the valve so patients did not need surgery.

Doctors in the US have so far used the clip to treat 10 patients with mitral regurgitation, where the mitral valve, which regulates the flow of blood from the left atrium to the left ventricle, has failed.

If the valve is not working as it should, blood leaks backwards into the heart as it beats - a condition known as mitral regurgitation.

The heart then has to work harder to try to pump blood through normally.

All the patients had moderate or severe mitral regurgitation which caused them fatigue, chest pain or shortness of breath, or they had a weakened heart muscle.

The tiny metallic clip is inserted through the skin into vein in the thigh inside a catheter, while the patient is under a general anaesthetic.

Doctors then guide the clip to the affected area of the heart.

It is then precisely steered into place, and attached to the mitral valve, helping it to close properly.

Once the clip is securely attached, the catheter is removed.

Dr Ted Feldman, of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Illinois, said: "We have used the clip in 10 patients without complications during the procedure.

"Prior to the catheter procedure all 10 patients had mitral regurgitation serious enough to require surgery."

He added: "The majority of the patients treated with the device had their mitral regurgitation significantly reduced so as to no longer need surgery.

"The patients who did not receive optimal MR control with the clip were able to have routine, successful mitral valve surgery as previously indicated."

Dr Feldman added: "This new clip is one of the interventional cardiology devices in the pipeline that will change the face of cardiology in the coming years.

"We are beginning to see an array of devices that are intended to repair or replace malfunctioning structures of the heart without surgical intervention. Recovery times will be reduced from weeks to just days."

Belinda Linden, head of medical information at the British Heart Foundation, said other scientists had been attempting to develop non-invasive ways of treating patients with valve failure.

She said: "These treatments have proved successful in treating some cases, although replacement of the valve using open heart surgery is still necessary for a large number of patients."

She added: "Recent studies suggest that using a clip may be an improvement on existing methods of mitral valve repair.

"We welcome this research as a potential alternative option for the cardiologist."

But she added: "Such treatment needs to be carefully monitored in controlled studies to determine which patients would most benefit and to establish the long-term effects on the valve's function." >>

Metal Clip Surgery

Metal Clip Surgery

Hi,

I read this article that you mentioned, and gave them a call. Since I am looking at mitral valve repair here in about 13 days, I was very interested in hearing more about this procedure. They have 7 different sites that are participating in this study, mostly out east. They have now performed 17 surgeries. The FDA is requiring at least 20 before approval. The very first person to have this done is coming up on his/her 1st anniversary. After talking with them I was ready to have my test results sent to them for review to see if I would be a good candidate for this procedure, but my husband wasn't to keen on it all. I'm sure we will hear more about this procedure in the near future. No open-heart surgery required. Only a 2-3 day hospital stay, and a few days at home and then back to work.

Thank you for posting the article.

Carol

sigh

sigh

I hope this pans out for all of you out there it'd benefit. It sounds wonderful.

I sure wish it'd been around 18 mos. ago. :(

Hi Everyone,

Very interesting article. I feel I do have to put in my two cents though, since I know this doctor personally.

Dr Ted Feldman, of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare use to be at University of Chicago Hospital. In January of 2001 he attempted to perform the non-invasive procedure Balloon Valvuloplasty on me. He nicked my heart and had to stop the procedure. He was afraid I'd bleed to death. I was charged for that incident too.

I was suppose to go again in February of 2001 and I caught the flu. On March 5th he went in again and blew the valve wide open on the first try. Not enoguh sleep, too many surgies, I don't know, but he definitely doesn't have steady hands!

Three days later I had to have OHS (which, he did not do, Thank God!) Dr. Jee the surgeon did it. So though the procedure may work, I certainly wouldn't recommend him to do it.

Gina, I hope you're reading this. Aren't you going to a cardio from that hospital?

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Latest posts

Back