Cipro?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faye

Greetings!

I was perscribed Cipro for a UTI - 500 mg, twice a day. Has anyone had experience with this drug and what affect did it have on your INR?

My PCP said it "might" cause my INR to raise a little but not to worry...I don't worry, I just ask my friends here at VR.com!

Thanks in advance,

Hi Faye I was on Cipro for very bad cold (bronchitas)
was given 7 tablets at 1000mg. one tablet daily for 7 days.
Ive been on cipro once prior to the bronchitas and I went
every three days for my inr till finished the 7 tablets and
cipro can effect my inr, therefore my Dr. and the phamacy suggested with
regards to myself to do an inr in three days of using the cipro and again
when i finished the last tablet.You should check with your doc. when he wants you to do an inr on the cipro as you are taking 500 daily i think i read.
although it was good didn't effect me inr wise but you should check with your Dr to see when he wants you to check your inr levels.all the best.

zipper2

Yeah faye i read your post again and your on 500x2 same
as i was just i took i tab. once daily instead of 500 mg twice.
Just please check with your doctor cus he can tell you better
when he wants your inr and cipro from what ive been told
can effect some peoples inr's so be sure to monitor it for your
own safety.......better to be safe than sorry.......

zipper2:)

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin) may interact with CIPROFLOXACIN (in Cipro)

Although the cause of this potential interaction is not clearly understood, ciprofloxacin may increase the anticoagulant effect of warfarin. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When ciprofloxacin and warfarin are used at the same time, your blood may be much less likely to clot and this may increase the risk of excessive bleeding. If these drugs are taken together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with ciprofloxacin is either started or stopped. Blood tests can be used to make sure that you are getting the right amount of warfarin. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of warfarin. Your doctor may also consider switching to a drug that is similar to ciprofloxacin, but that is less likely to cause problems with warfarin. Ask your healthcare provider about these drugs and this potential interaction as soon as possible.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered major in severity.

Last Updated: February 2007

Latest posts

Back