chronic chostocondritis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen

I've been interested that costochondritis has come up so much in various posts lately. Several weeks ago I searched for "costochondritis" in these forums and was amazed at how many of you have had diagnosed episodes of this. But I don't read that it has been an ongoing issue with most of you. I know that this can be a chronic, or on-going, situation, but what I read about it, most of the time it resolves within a matter of weeks. I would be interested in knowing of others who continue to experience persistent, even daily, symptoms of this form of arthritis. My own experience was much like several of yours. I had a few, sharp pains in my chest over a matter of weeks. And then one Saturday morning, the pain was very intense and very precisely in one location. For almost an hour, it hurt very much to take in even shallow breaths; as it finally subsided, I felt the pain more when drawing in only deeper breaths. The next Monday I saw my PCP and his quick conclusion was costochondritis. (However, this was also the event that prompted him to send me for heart tests -- just to be sure -- and the BAV was discovered and diagnosed).

That was 3 years ago. I'm resigned, and even relieved, to have reassurance that the valve doesn't require any action right now. A heart cath 2 months ago satisfied questions I had about that. And my experience now is quite different. No more intense, stabbing pains in my chest -- just a general feeling of pressure and "wheeziness." But it's something I deal with every single day... In recent weeks, I've wondered what lies in store for me AFTER having my sternum cracked open. My cardio suspects that my coarcatation surgery (40 years ago!) might factor in somewhat to the discomfort I have. Even though the surgery was through my side, there is a lot of movement in those costal areas.

I suspect that most of you who have had costochondritis symptoms had these as a RESULT of your surgeries? Do you continue to have discomfort/pain? Vioxx was a wonderful drug... Voltaren and Mobic were equally effective, but cause me to have stomach ulcers. So now I take Celebrex, which works well. However, the co-pay is pricey, and I'm trying to take as little as I can, just to eliminate long term heart risks. That means, I take Celebrex for special occasions! Like Christmas and other times when I want to feel especially perky... :)

How many of you are in this "club"? Given all the scenarios that many of you are dealing with, I won't complain. However, it still is something I wish I didn't have to deal with. Especially when I continue to "watch for" heart symptoms that so closely resemble the ones that are part of the arthritis. I'm strictly playing the "numbers game." The measurements on the annual echos are important -- 'can't trust myself to distinguish one "symptom" from the next. :)

I have learned so much from this forum in the past 7-8 months. Thanks for your willingness to share your experiences and your support to everyone who drops in. It's very "heartening!" I'll continue to look for posts reporting good outcomes for all of you approaching your surgeries...

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all...
Karen

Hi Karen,

Very interesting post! I have had costochondritis flares on and off so I guess it would be considered chronic. I remeber once I could not stand the weight of a shirt even, my whole sternum area hurt. One rib really affected is my lowest attached rib, which springs spontaenously out of place and then slowly reduces, and is painful for days. One time it happened during a long drive and I had to pull over and stretch backward. I often wondered if the PDA susrgery I had 36 years ago caused it, so I'm interested to see you post the same thought... Am I right that your CoA incision goes around the side? That's how mine is.

I've learned to limit the way I do certain things like scrunching, crunching, etc to keep my rib in place but I still get flares of soreness in all the ribs from time to time.

Take care!

I've not had my surgery yet, but I already get problems on and off with rib/sternum pain. I've had it for years and I think it started after my pregnancies - I'm very small and my babies were very big and active! The pain hits me sometimes when I do particular movements - just slight ones, such as bending down to push something or twisting round in a certain way - suddenly, hey presto I'm in agony. It can last minutes or hours or sometimes days. It can sometimes feel as though my lower ribs have moved and locked in an awkward position. I had some physiotherapy years ago which helped me to be more aware of good posture, but other than that I've never done anything about it and just take painkillers to get me through the initial agony!

Karen, I've dealt with this for years now. My left shoulder area (scapula) is in constant pain. I can always feel it when I twist to the right. My sternum still bothers me at times too. The ortho I visited a few months ago called it snapping scapula syndrome (Odd name, isn't it?). In fact, tomorrow, I'm scheduled to have some shots in that area. We'll see how that works, and I'll certainly post and let you know. I'm just as befuddled by it as you are.

yep...i am another with arthritis from top to toe...well feels like it....lol...

and that spine and facet joints and dried up worn-out discs are not helping me distinguish the same kinds of pains...i get constant spams from these aLL over my backl and h=it does worry me...change of position fixes it instantly...

wonder if its a BAV/cnnective tissue disorder thing...I'd even bet many bav'ers have this...and I dont even buy LOTTO !....lol

aussigal said:
wonder if its a BAV/cnnective tissue disorder thing...

Aussie Gal: The other theory about my misbehaving rib is a connective tissue "thing" I have multiple floppy valves and my cardio feels it's systemic since I'm hyperflexible, have a dent in my sternum, a waward rib, a kidney that falls down, and kneecaps that pop out of place. I don't have any diagnosed connective tisse disorder but I'll bet it's all related. Oh, and a bone in my feet keeps popping out of place, causing pain.

Latest posts

Back