Choosing valve with active lifestyle and being 21

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some issues have been hashed over so much it is almost a waste of time to continue to debate. Humans will believe what they want to believe and find the statistics that fit those beliefs. I am not necessarily criticizing that because we all have to be content (or should be) with the choices we make.

The important thing is always to post facts. Many members have done so and been accused of presenting their personal experiences as facts when we have been told we should tag them as opinions. However, something that actually happens is a fact. My facts might be different from someone else in a similar situation but fact nonetheless.

Having been through 3 surgeries, I have a LOT of experience with the dangers and problems associated with OHS. The one thing I know is I will always choose the path that could prevent future surgery. Whether I succeed in the future is still to be determined but things look good so far. I think it is important to remember that long-term survival is only that - survival. Quality of life, monetary costs, recovery time all need to be considered when making decisions that will lead to repeat surgeries.

devil's advocate?

devil's advocate?

I only read the first and last page of entries so I'm sorry if I repeat something, but one thing to consider is that technology is always improving. The tissue valve that was stuck into my chest 15 months ago or so was an improvement over the bio-valves of a few years earlier and can be expected to last longer. I'm now 57 and my cardio-guy thinks it might keep me going for 25 years or so, so I might just squeak by without going under the knife again. But even if I do have to get another replacement, surgical techniques will definitely be improved by that time and maybe a sternotomy won't be required. In terms of what one has to go through as a patient, maybe getting a valve job will be similar to getting an angiogram now.

When I was faced with this, my priority was to continue living my life with minimal changes. I don't want to get into the argument about whether anti-coagulation therapy prevents or does not prevent athletic activities. I chose a bio-valve because it is closer to the composition of what I'm made of than a steel valve and might therefore be expected to have less of an impact on the physical character of my life. That was my first priority. After that, I had to consider whether I could go through the ordeal again, and I decided that I could -- though again I was lucky compared to some others on this list who have been through much more difficult ordeals.

Of course the outlook is entirely different for a young man in his early twenties and I can't presume to know what I would do in that case, but I might very well go the same route or ask for the On-X valve as a compromise. If you go with a bio-valve, the prospect of a second operation is a virtual certainty, but with any luck a third operation might be avoided due to technological advance. (Just my own opinion and I'm not an expert.) Apart from the continuous improvements in porcine and bovine valves, we are likely on the verge of the era when replacement valves will be cultured from our own tissue, obviating the difficult decision altogether. Nobody knows for sure but my own guess is that we are less than a decade from having that perfect option available.

dlangton said:
we are likely on the verge of the era when replacement valves will be cultured from our own tissue, obviating the difficult decision altogether. Nobody knows for sure but my own guess is that we are less than a decade from having that perfect option available.

I think this is my biggest hope for the future. But I just happened to have a quick thought: what would people do that are diagnosed and must have surgery ASAP? I don't know how long it would take to grow a valve. I wonder if there would be an interim procedure that could be done to stall a bit in order to have the valve grown?

hey

hey

hey,

Yeah i didnt have my surgery yet, my surgeon "wanted" to do it last week but because of school i was unable to and i am scheduled for June 6th right now. All i know is waiting is a complete and utter, excuse my french, bitch. Everyday i get the pleasure of not lifting anything and limiting myself. I wish i could have had it done last week but oh well.

I see the discussion got heated back up again and thats always good to hear both sides but I have to go with the porcine valve because as the one member quoted, this is my investment in the future of technology. I hope in 15 some odd years when i have to have it replaced they have a valve that is leaps ahead of the ones they have now and the procedure will be much less invasive. I play soccer three times a week now, coming out of my surgeons mouth, if i go for a head ball too hard or get smacked against the boards, i play indoor also, i could easily have a hematoma in my knee or head or somewhere in my body real quick and yeah, im not down for that right now. I am still living my life in the fast lane and not ready to put my blinker on and get over quite yet.

Again i cannot thank everyone enough for all their support and opinions and facts this site has truley made the difference for me and helped put everything in persepctive.....now i just get to sit back and wait.

Plus side being UPS has awesome insurance and this might cost me......$10:D

Cool Kid,
I know your thread has garnered a lot of attention, but I just wanted to say again that we all wish you the best with your surgery and recovery. The waiting is really hard but please don't overdo it! OK, mom lecture is over :D

Nah, it's not heated and don't worry about it. I just want to make sure others reading the threads don't get the wild "Coumadin will cause me to spurt blood everywhere everytime I turn around" simplex. It's not true. In fact most everything you hear about it is false.

I don't care what valve you get, so long as you get one and get it done before damage sets in. That's all that matters.

I'm putting you on the Calendar for June 6th, so if it changes, let me know and I'll change it again. Yes, waiting is the hardest part, so feel free to stick around if you've got nothing better to do until then. ;)

Hey - Cool Kid - you ain't seen heated. ;) :D ;)

Happy that you made a decision and will get things fixed. As Ross said, that is all that really matters.

Best of luck to you.

Coumadin (the clotter)

Coumadin (the clotter)

Ive been on coumadin for a carbomedics valve for 16 years,
Been cut with a huge fishing hook in the head 8 stitches,
Been stabbed in the hiney with a knife 8 stitches...........apply
pressure and the clotting takes effect immediately ...couldnt ask
for more. GOOD LUCK

zipper2:eek:

thecoolkid17 said:
hey,

Yeah i didnt have my surgery yet, my surgeon "wanted" to do it last week but because of school i was unable to and i am scheduled for June 6th right now. All i know is waiting is a complete and utter, excuse my french, bitch. Everyday i get the pleasure of not lifting anything and limiting myself. I wish i could have had it done last week but oh well.

I see the discussion got heated back up again and thats always good to hear both sides but I have to go with the porcine valve because as the one member quoted, this is my investment in the future of technology. I hope in 15 some odd years when i have to have it replaced they have a valve that is leaps ahead of the ones they have now and the procedure will be much less invasive. I play soccer three times a week now, coming out of my surgeons mouth, if i go for a head ball too hard or get smacked against the boards, i play indoor also, i could easily have a hematoma in my knee or head or somewhere in my body real quick and yeah, im not down for that right now. I am still living my life in the fast lane and not ready to put my blinker on and get over quite yet.

Again i cannot thank everyone enough for all their support and opinions and facts this site has truley made the difference for me and helped put everything in persepctive.....now i just get to sit back and wait.

Plus side being UPS has awesome insurance and this might cost me......$10:D

CoolKid

Does your cardio think you are heading a medicine balll on the soccer field?! :D
I would be very surprised if one got a bleed from heading a ball (within range).

I play 5 aside indoor and outdoor recreationally. Got a few bumps, scrathces, head the ball etc. to no effect. Did a bit off paintballing last week as well, with a little chest pad ( and helmet of course).

Hey Luke,
I was in the same situation only 8 months ago. Like Morten I was 23 and needed a MVR. The surgeon told me that he recommended the mechanical at my age. I decided on the Mechanical valve to keep me out of the OR for a longer time. I am very athletic, basketball, baseball, hiking, hunting. I do it all. The thing you have to do is wear a helmet when you snowboard and waterski, or other sports like that. At first I thought the coumadin was going to suck, but it really is not all that bad. Good luck on making your decision and the surgery. Someone wrote that we need to start a young bucks club, I agree.
Mike (bodman25)

netrom said:
Hi Luke,

I'm new here aswell! I found this forum yesterday, and I must say it's an exellent resource! :)

Anyway, I'm 25 years old, and I got a mechanical st.jude valve at the age of 23.
The reason i chose a mechanical valve was mainly because a pig valve only has a lifespan of about 10-15 years. After that you have to change it for a new one.

My surgeon recommended that I choose the mechanical valve, because it gets harder to change the valves for each time. (because of scar tissue, and so on, etc.) Anyway, my experience so far is good. I cant say that I have a super active lifestyle as you obviously have, but im not a lazy guy either.

I wish you good luck, and hope everything goes well :)

Best Regards
Morten

Hey Luke!

Just wanted to say good luck on surgery june 6th! :)

Oh, and I agree on the "young bucks" club aswell ;)

Morten

Latest posts

Back