Cholines (Lecithin) and Coronary Heart Disease

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobagotwo

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Read an interesting article about coronary heart disaease, and a seeming link to the metabolism of phosphatidyl choline, a substance related to B vitamins most commonly known as lecithin (haven't checked - this may already be posted by someone). The byproducts of choline reportedly can predict heart disease ten times more accurately than cholersterol levels.

The flora in the gut are also a part of the issue, but it's unclear if it's something that could be changed by taking a special probiotic (not likely that simple, of course), or if there's more to the story. Lecithin is used in the metabolism of fats, and I for one used to use it as a supplement (I think it's also the ingredient in Pam, and some other nonstick sprays). Choline is found in a number of supplements and seems only to be bad if you metabolize it badly.

Of course choline helps in the metabolism of homocystienes, which are also linked to heart disease, so there are plainly going to be more twists and turns to this before it gets to anything (if it ever does). If you fix the choline problem, do you then get s homocystiene problem? *sigh*

The more you try to pin something down, the slipperier it gets.

Best wishes,

Don't know all the chemical stuff, but I take Lecithin supplements twice a day. Have been taking these for about a year now. My cardiologist knows and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Also take krill supplements rather than fish oil and again doc doesn't foresee a problem. I don't feel anything different and not likely to be taken off the Lipitor so can't say for sure if this is a plus or not.

Latest posts

Back