Choices!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
I'm not into tricky statements and parsing anything.

*grumbles*

Why can't some certain companies (no names mentioned, of course) follow this same principal? Is it THAT hard to do?

Grrrr....

*pauses to relax*

Statistics are another of my pet peeves...or a doctor saying that you have 2 months to live. Or really? Can you guarantee that...?

*shakes head*

I've had pig's valve in me since 1977. I'm on my 3rd one. I'll probably have to have a fourth. At that point, who knows..... The first lasted 10 years ... 1977-1987; the second lasted a bit longer (1987-2003); this third one...well, lasted 2 years already ;).

But, it is different for everyone...you cannot say for certain that one type will work in a person, just like it did (or did not) for someone else.... It just doesn't work that way....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
'72/'6/'9/'81/'7, train/models = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
MC's Future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks to all who weighed in on this matter. I know that this is pretty much the same question that we all ask at this stage of the game.

I spoke with my surgeon and it is decided. The biological valve if it is just the valve that is to be replaced. If he has to replace the entire aortic root and valve, then he will us a mechanical replacement.

The best of both worlds?!?!!!

Again, thanks.
Joe

It sounds like you've come to a reasonable accommodation with yourself, and that is the only real "end" of the choosing phase. Good for you.

Personally, I think you've made a fine decision. You'll likely find a more unified thread of responses to any follow-up queries you may have about what happens next.

I congratulate you for keeping your equilibrium and making your choice, and I wish you good results as you move forward.

Best wishes,

statistics

statistics

have you asked your surgeon about the EXACT numbers he is referring to? Often Im shocked by the small sample size used in mecial papers, i mean what does it tell you if you e.g. observe 18 people 6 thereof being a control group!

well2allofu
ar bee

ar bee said:
have you asked your surgeon about the EXACT numbers he is referring to? Often Im shocked by the small sample size used in mecial papers, i mean what does it tell you if you e.g. observe 18 people 6 thereof being a control group!

well2allofu
ar bee
Really and it's happened before too!

To me, statistics are as worthless as projections. There are far too many variables that come into play to make a firm decision based solely on numbers.

Joe,
Sounds like you have a plan. One of the hard parts is over - valve choice. Now you're onto the hard part of waiting, although not too long. Do you have someone that can post after your surgery? We tend to get very anxious and testy wondering how one of our members' surgeries go.

24+ hours later and still comfortable w. choice

24+ hours later and still comfortable w. choice

Thanks to all who have provided feedback.

I'm excited that I have lasted a whole 24 hours without second guessing the decision I made with the surgeon yesterday regard valve choice.

Now, I just have to keep busy between today and next Thursday....

a couple days of work, coaching recreation basketball on Saturday, Eagles! on Sunday, and then into the home stretch...

Again, thanks!
Joe

Risk of Repeat Surgeries

Risk of Repeat Surgeries

Actually, Al Lodwick posted this study about eight months ago. It's just a handy citing: please note I am not trying to embroil Al in this. ;)
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7339

Risk of reoperation with tissue valve vs. warfarin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was just published in the journal Heart Surgery Forum
Background: Many patients are advised to have mechanical aortic valve replacement (AVR) because their expected longevity exceeds that of tissue prostheses. This strategy may avoid the risks of reoperation but exposes patients to the risks of long-term anticoagulation therapy. Which risk is greater? Methods: We reviewed the records of 1213 consecutive, unselected AVR patients, 60% of whom had concomitant procedures, who were treated from 1994 through 2002. Of these patients, 887 were first-time AVR patients, and 326 underwent reoperation. Of the reoperation patients, 134 had previously undergone AVR (redo). We constructed a risk model from these 1213 cases to assess the factors that predicted mortality and to examine the extent to which reoperation affected outcome. Results: Multiple logistic regression analysis indicated that factors of reoperation and redo operation did not predict mortality. In fact, the mortality rate was 4.1% for all first AVR operations and 3.1% for all reoperation AVR ( P =.891). Significant predicting factors (with odds ratios) were reoperative dialysis (6.03), preoperative shock (3.68), New York Heart Association class IV (2.20), female sex (1.76), age (1.61), and cardiopulmonary bypass time (1.26). Conclusions: In this series, the risk of reoperation AVR is comparable with the published risks of long-term warfarin sodium (Coumadin) administration after mechanical AVR. Any adult who requires AVR may be well advised to consider tissue prostheses.

This is a highly singificant study of over 1,200 AVRs who were not preselected to brace up a premeditated conclusion.

When deciding on a valve, it is important to distinguish between surgeries for those who have connective tissue disorders or complementary health issues (such as lung or kidney problems) and people who are fortunate enough to be able to respond to surgery in a more normally recuperative way. It's certainly not fair. But it is real.

People who are not handicapped by these things, and have otherwise reasonable health, should make the decision based on the full pallette of options available to them. For them, the mortality odds do not favor either type of valve over time. (Unfortunately, Ross Procedure patients do not figure in this study.)

The use of tissue valves, with their required repeated operations over time, is neither callous nor frivolous: it is accepted medicine. Nor is tissue considered a "second best" option vs. a mechanical valve. It is simply a different option, with a different set of benefits and risks. Ask my surgeon. And many, many others.

There are many thought factors that need to go into a valve decision. When concurrent health problems are a part of your picture, your choice may be short-circuited one way or the other. If those are not in your cards, you can look at your age, your preference for risk-taking, your likely ability to function as a warfarin patient, your probable life events (hopeful pregnancy? work on a ship or away from advanced healthcare?), downstream expectations for your heart (will you need another OHS for something else?), even your personality, including your ability to cope with daily requirements.

Reoperations aren't for everyone. Neither is the stroke/bleeding risk faced by mechanical/ACT patients. That is why it is a debate. That is why each new member who strives to make a choice must learn as much about himself as about these valves in that process.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back