Chicagoland get together at Fermilab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PapaHappyStar

I am up for surgery soon and leaving the lab for the period -- but before I go I wanted to get together with some of the people who have made such a big difference in my attitude and awareness of whats ahead ( thats all of you ).

I am doing reseach at Fermilab, we have a cozy little center ( Users Center ) which has a bar, a reading room, a game room ( FREE pool and ping pong ) and a small TV lounge. I can also take anyone interested on a tour around the accelerator facility ( the largest active particle accelerator in the world ) and one of the detectors on the ring ( where I work ).

The only catch is the Users Center is open only on weekdays -- so we can do this on a Friday ( the 12th or the 19th ), please let me know if you can come.

Regards,
Burair

Maps

Maps

Fermilab site map:
site.gif

Fermilab Village:
village.gif

A clickable map

If you need directions contact me

Hi Burair,

It would be very nice to meet you. You have planned the most interesting gathering to date :) Did you say pool? Cort did you hear that? :D

Friday the 19th looks good. Hoping we can all match on the dates. Thank you for planning the next VR.com Chicago gathering. We have been meaning to get something going!

Friday the 19th sounds like it would be good for us too. I'll have to double check with my other half tho. Sounds like a wonderful idea.

Gina and Karlynn

Thanks for your replies -- it would be nice to meet you as well :)

Cort was the one who put me up to this -- so he has to come ( and besides pool there is a definite chance of meeting some unattached members of the opposite sex :) )

Burair

Burair,
My significant other (Chris) and I would love to come if there is still space for us. His eyes lit up when I mentioned a particle accelerator and, since I mentioned the Chicago area, he said "is it at Fermilab"? Clueless as I am, I have never heard of Fermilab before tonight but, being the engineer, he knows.
Let me know if you can fit us in too.
Smiles, :) :)
Gina (also)

Gina M said:
Did you say pool? Cort did you hear that? :D

*grins*

Who did you think suggested the idea in the first place? ;)

As Burair wrote, I did hint that this might be a good gathering. He and I have already met (about a month ago, eh?) and then saw each other at NW Memorial Hospital this past Thursday for our appointments. He and I have been meaning to get together again...so he can take me on a Fermilab tour. Out of that discussion, I had the "bright idea" of making it an entire Chicagoland area VR.com gathering ;). So, when I talked to him earlier this afternoon on the phone, he told me about the pool....and it was all set for me :).

*grins*

The 19th looks good to me, too! What time shall we meet?! I could be there as early as...6pm, I believe.

*pauses*

Now, about those single females................... ;)

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
'72/'6/'9/'81/'7, train/models = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html

geebee said:
Burair,
My significant other (Chris) and I would love to come if there is still space for us. His eyes lit up when I mentioned a particle accelerator and, since I mentioned the Chicago area, he said "is it at Fermilab"? Clueless as I am, I have never heard of Fermilab before tonight but, being the engineer, he knows.
Let me know if you can fit us in too.
Smiles, :) :)
Gina (also)

Hi Gina -- It would be a great pleasure to have you over -- if friday the 19th dosent work for you I can take you and Chris for a tour anytime. Let me know. Burair

The 19th would work great for us. I forgot to mention that in my post. I told you I was clueless. :)
Smiles again, :)
Gina

geebee. Hope we get to meet on the 19th! Double checking.....I have oral surgery scheduled early in the week. Hoping to be fully healed and back on track by the 19th! We finally came to the conclusion that the tooth has to go. Such a shame after extensive measures to save it. It was cracked when my wisdoms were removed a number of years ago. That tooth has cost me more grief and money than it's worth!

PS. Maybe you could smuggle Ross in your suitcase Gina :D

knightfan2691 said:
The 19th looks good to me, too! What time shall we meet?! I could be there as early as...6pm, I believe.

*pauses*

Now, about those single females................... ;)

If you want a tour we can have one while there is daylight or afterwards of one of the experimental facilities and the high rise.

The Users Center is open at 5:00 p.m. There is a security checkpoint at each entrance to the lab, I will sign all of you in, there is plenty of space at the Users Center ( as I am sure you will see ) so no worries about how many of you want to come. The bar is well stocked ( even has soft drinks :) ) and we will have munchies.

You do need to bring a picture ID to get in for each person coming and they will give you a temporary pass into the lab, send me e-mail and I will send you directions from wherever you are coming and how to contact me.

Burair

Gina,
Sorry about your tooth. I would be very depressed to have to say goodbye to one of mine. I hope everything is better by the 19th as I will love to meet you and everyone else I have been "meeting" on this site.

Burair - I am off that day so I can make it there at the time everyone else deems best. Obviously I have a 5 hour drive but I can start as early as necessary.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Smiles, :)
Gina

geebee said:
Gina,

Burair - I am off that day so I can make it there at the time everyone else deems best. Obviously I have a 5 hour drive but I can start as early as necessary.

Great! Come as early as you like -- we live in the village, you and Chris can spend some time touring the lab, it is an extremely interesting place for an engineer. What is his speciality?

Burair

will try!

will try!

Hi Burair, I am here in WI about 3-4 hours from Chicago area - I definetly would like to come to the mini reunion on the 19th although at this pt. I am not sure if I can or not as I am car-less. With defiently try to work it out so I can come!!!!!!!!!! Would love to meet other vr'rs!!

Will try to figure out something!

Erica

Burair, count us in as definates! My husband Glenn gave an enthusiastic thumbs up right after hearing the words "partical excellorator tour". :D

Gina, I hope your surgery goes well.

Burair,
I am sure Chris would love to see as much as possible of the complex. He is an electrical engineer but is into everything (computers, physics, etc.). When I asked him about Fermilab, he started down an explanation road that led me to believe he had been there before (even tho he hasn't). He also was talking about the "super collider" that was never finished. I was lost about 1/4 of the way into the information but he was so excited that I listened intently anyway.
I have to say I am getting very excited also to see the list of people coming growing and Fermilab sounds fascinating as well.
As far as timing goes, is getting there around noon too early? That will give me the chance to sleep in a little on my day off but still deal with Chris who will probably be chomping at the bit to get going.
Thanks for this opportunity.
Gina

Gina and Karlynn

I will try to get access to the Feynmann Computing Center and the beams division head quarters and show the control facilities for the Tevatron will definitely show the D0 detector facility and lab ( where I work ), so come in plenty of time. The non-technical parts of the tour should also hopefully be pretty fun as long as its not too chilly out, there is a prairie trail, multiple lakes and wild life ( lots of Canada geese and sometimes even rare species of birds, there is a bison herd as well and deer, coyote etc. ) -- here are some web sites for reference:

Fermilab For Visitors
Nature/Ecology
Directions and Maps

I am sure we will have lots to talk about and see, no problem whenever you want to come, going to be a lot of fun :)

Burair

ericaj said:
Hi Burair, I am here in WI about 3-4 hours from Chicago area - I definetly would like to come to the mini reunion on the 19th although at this pt. I am not sure if I can or not as I am car-less. With defiently try to work it out so I can come!!!!!!!!!! Would love to meet other vr'rs!!

Will try to figure out something!

Erica

Erica, Hope you can make it. Burair

Burair:

Burair:

We are SO excited. Thanks for planning such a wonderful sounding time.
I will email you to give you more definite time arrangements but I am still thinking around noon. We are considering coming up Thursday night and staying over so we can be nice and rested for Friday. Can you recommend a nearby hotel?
We will also be staying over Friday and maybe Saturday to make this a bit of a holiday so, if anyone else will be around for the weekend maybe we can do something on Saturday as well.
Gina

Hi Burair,

Do we all have to be there by a specific time? I work in Chicago and commute by train to the Loop. I could probably leave a couple of hours early from work( 3 in stead of 5, but I would still have to get back to Cary and get my car before I could get there. Being it would be a Friday I'm sure it would end up taking me 1 1/2 hours so I don;t think I would make it before 7:00pm. I would love to meet you and Geebee (Gina), Chris and Ericaj. I would also like to get together again with the Chicago land members who have met before, Gina, Cort, Karylynn and Glenn.

I was only at Fermilab one time and that was to see Arlo Guthrie in concert about 4 or 5 years ago. Isn't it out near St. Charles? This would be an intersting mini reunion to go on a tour, or if I'm too late for that I could join you all at the Users Center if possible. Let me know.

Back