Chest pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwm123

Does anyone know how long the chest pain stays around? I had my surgery Nov 16. The only time I have chest pain is when I cough. The pain is intense. Other than that I am doing great. My first OHS was in 2004 and was minimally invasive AVR. This one Nov 16 they had to crack my chest which is more painful. If anyone can share that would be great.

Hello,

you'll probably get a number of different responses however I guess it depends on what you define as 'pain'. I had pain/general discomfort up until around 6-8 weeks ago now the only 'pain' I feel is if I irritate a sternal wire (I have one at the top that really bugs me if I bump it too hard but it only hurts for a minute or so). Otherwise, the worst of it was experienced within the first 4-6 weeks.

Yeah, I understand that. It can get really frustrating, especially when you'll have a day when you feel '100% better' then a day later your in pain again. It's a slow process but you will feel better before you know it.

the intensity should subside after about 8 weeks ... if after that you are still experiencing anything like how it was in hospital then you should discuss this with your Surgeon as soon as possible.

Of course it hangs around but the intensity should fall off in like a log curve ... so compared with ICU you should be feeling much less pain when you cough. I can't recall the point when I felt no pain.

Ryanvs;n870840 said:
Yeah, I understand that. It can get really frustrating, especially when you'll have a day when you feel '100% better' then a day later your in pain again. It's a slow process but you will feel better before you know it.

Like those days that you feel so good, you go back to sleeping on your side like you used too, only to wake up and find that your sternum did not like that prolonged pressure at all.

I'm 7 months post op and my chest still hurts occasionally!

I guess while I was sleeping I turned on my stomach...my sternum didn't like that!

But everyone is different don't compare yourself to anyone else!

Superman;n870847 said:
Like those days that you feel so good, you go back to sleeping on your side like you used too, only to wake up and find that your sternum did not like that prolonged pressure at all.

Haha Absolutely! Or you think it's ok to carry that washing basket out to the clothes line

Trinalovescats;n870851 said:
I'm 7 months post op and my chest still hurts occasionally!

I guess while I was sleeping I turned on my stomach...my sternum didn't like that!

But everyone is different don't compare yourself to anyone else!

yep even at 12 months I've had a few painful awakenings in the middle of the night from rolling the wrong way

Trinalovescats;n870882 said:
Is it normal for the incision to hurt years later?
no its is not

I would suggest its an indicator that something is amiss ... perhaps even just that wires really should be taken out. To my mind they bear no purpose after bone healing.

I believe that you should always bring this up to your cardio. I have not had chest pain since surgery November 1 but have had an all over pain that led me to ER. I ended up having a build up of fluid around my heart that led to to two more heart surgeries. I just got out of hospital yesterday and cannot say enough CALL YOUR DOCTOR! I never would have thought..........

Back