chest pain post avr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

michellep

Ok, I know I should call my cardio but I don't want to appear to be a scardy cat whiner.
Today my bloodpressure went up (fight with the ex-husband. Oh yea, I though I said in another thread that he doesn't bug me anymore. Wrong.) Anyway, after our arguement my bloodpressure went up about 25 points(lately it's been about 88/66 now it's 119/88). I also began to experience chest pain. I shouldn't have chest pain now that I have had an AVR, right? Or is this part of the healing? This has happened once or twice since surgery.
I am only on aspirin. I'm going on the 20th for a followup echo.
Has any one else had post op chest pain?

Hi Michelle,

So sorry about your argument with your ex-husband, so difficult to deal with other issues while in this healing process.

It is interesting you are asking about this as I too had been having some Pain that I am unsure is normal post-op or not.. The pain I have occurs randomly and I cannot tell if decreases with pain medication or not... It is worse with inspiration, and not necessarily with exertion... I was planning to call the nurse at the cardiology clinic tmw AM, I think you should also,as you pointed out already, call the cardiologist to check....

I would check with them what range they want your heart rate and BP at. I was placed on a Beta Blocker to keep my HR and BP low for the heart to heal but when my BP ran that low, I had VERY BAD vertigo and hypotension.... Obviously each individual has different ranges..

It is good you are already scheduled for your postop echo, but I would call the office anyhow, to verify your symptoms are benign in nature or if they would want to see you..

Wish you the best, try to take it easy. <<hugs>>

Leah

Thanks for your good thoughts Leah. I naturally have very low blood pressure. My elevated blood pressure, prior to surgery, was actually one of the indicators. I do not have any symptoms with low BP, so my cardio wasn't concerned.
I'll definately call tomorrow. I was just trying not to be a bother.

michellep said:
Today my bloodpressure went up (fight with the ex-husband. Oh yea, I though I said in another thread that he doesn't bug me anymore. Wrong.)

When I first read this, I *thought* that was quite an accomplishment, if it were indeed true!

michellep said:
Anyway, after our arguement my bloodpressure went up about 25 points(lately it's been about 88/66 now it's 119/88). I also began to experience chest pain. I shouldn't have chest pain now that I have had an AVR, right? Or is this part of the healing? This has happened once or twice since surgery.
I am only on aspirin. I'm going on the 20th for a followup echo.
Has any one else had post op chest pain?

Other than soreness in the ribs/sternal area, I've never read that chest pain is a normal part of recovery. Especially since yours accompanied the increase in BP, I, personally, would call the doc, at the very least.

From what I understand, 119/88 is not terribly high for the general population, but does sound high if yours usually runs low. But the chest pain would cause me concern.

Hope this clears up soonest-

Fights with my ex always have to do with the kids. Being a teacher, I have to be their biggest advocate, even when they don't think so. Details are very uninteresting (I'd rather forget them). I am mad at myself for letting him get under my skin.
Oh well...it is what it is...or, he is what he is. :)

michellep said:
Fights with my ex always have to do with the kids. Being a teacher, I have to be their biggest advocate, even when they don't think so. Details are very uninteresting (I'd rather forget them). I am mad at myself for letting him get under my skin.
Oh well...it is what it is...or, he is what he is. :)

Hey! LOL! I was just kidding... I'm sorry I made you dredge it back up...

That's ok. Sorry for airing my dirty laundry in public. Now, back to heart issues!

I could not possibly say that my experience is similar to what you are describing. But I recall that several weeks post-op, I had an enormous blow-up at [somebody] and I realized from the bad feeling in my chest that it was not a healthy thing to do. I was afraid that I was going to blow my valve, which I hope is impossible to do. But your heart still has a lot of healing left to do, Michelle.

I saw a funny Candid Camera a few years ago. The gag was a candy store with signs displayed that said, "We do not give change." So each person who gave them some amount of money for some candy was told they would not receive their change. One clip was especially "candid," because the male customer seemed to be on the dangerous edge of a massive explosion after he was told he would not be receiving his change. He seemed to be internally counting to pace himself and he finally, darkly and ominously said, "I don't let nobody rent space in my head!"

So, Michelle, don't let anybody rent space in your head! A calm heart is a healthy heart (That's a paraphrase from the Book of Proverbs). Let it heal. Take care. And be sure and call your doctor tomorrow.

Hi Michelle - Is no news good news? Hope you are doing okay. Post when you can and take care.

Back