Checking in

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wweir

Wanted to check in with you all since I have not posted in a while.

First off my wife and I found out last week that we will become grandparents for the first time in June. We were in California last week visiting the kids when we found out. It is our eldest child Amanda and her husband Elliott and we are all quite excited. Linda already has the trips planned out and gifts on order. If it is a boy I suggested they use Walter as the name, no luck. My second choice was Dude, since it is California. Again no dice.

In other news, I had my fourteen month check up last week and pleased to report that everything is A-OK. I had an EKG and ECHO taken and the Cardiologist told me, no change since last year and the results are all excellent. So I will see him same time next year. Good for another 12,000 miles they say.

I did find it rather interesting that he said to me, just prior to the tests, that ?you know these valves don?t last forever and we need to check things out just in case there is a problem so we can take care of it.? Luckily ? no problems. Moral of the story is for everyone to keep up with their regular Dr. visits, don?t put them off.

I also had a discussion with him about diets. I was asking about the Adkins diet. He was very opposed to it. While he agrees it works, he said it is not a diet that you can stay on long time. He also stated that most folks who do the diet gain back the weight lost within a year. The scary part was when he stated that the body, deprived of carbohydrates, starts to consume muscle tissue and that activity has a side affect that creates ammonia in the system which is quite toxic and can eventually cause problems with your kidneys and liver. I guess I have to wait for the magic pill.

Anyway, I think my key to success has been keeping a regular exercise plan in effect. At least 4 days a week I do the gym thing for an hour. Got to keep it up.

Trust everyone is doing well and wanted to know all of you are never far from my mind.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Walter
:)

Hi Walter,

Glad to hear that everything is going well with your heart!

I am a big opponent to the Atkins diet. As your doc said, it works by consuming muscle tissue and produces ketones as a side effect. Ketones are the same thing diabetics worry and watch, as they cause the blood to become acidic. If I am remembering correctly, it is this acidic blood (resulting from recurrent high blood sugars), that causes much of the damage (eye, blood vessel, heart) that diabetics experience. My mother and good friend were both diabetic, but it has been a while since I actively studied this phenomenon.

For me, the bottom line is, why go down that route and take such risks when lifestyle changes, diet and exercise are available?

Congratulations Grandpa Walter! Did that visit have anything to do with stirring things up a bit?

I wonder if Doctors know about valves like they do about Coumadin, some know alot, some know nothing at all. I've heard a variety of them say that the mechanicals will last a lifetime and I've also heard others say only 20 years or so. I say flip a coin for the true answer.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. You have much to celebrate my friend. ;)

Hi Walter-

Nice to hear from you and congratulations on both fronts, your great heart news, and a new grandchild in the future.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Gramps

What a thrill.....CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOU ALL!!!

Glad to hear you're doing so well. We're all ok here. Miss seeing your posts......Doesn't it seem like ancient history since you first posted??

So, Dude's Grampa, are you moving to California?

Evelyn

Hey Walter,
Congratulations! Glad to your checkup went Well and isn't it a Great feeling to hear you are going to be Grandparents.
Now get ready to spoil those grandkids rotten.;)
I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Take Care

Dave

hi walter!
great to see you again!
congratulations on the upcoming grandchild_ what wonderful news!!!
also, i was thrilled to hear that you are doing so well.
don't you just love good news???
stay well. all the best, sylvia

Latest posts

Back