Changing Cardiologists?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shari

Hi Friends,

Here's a question for you all...I want to get your opinions...

My husband's cardiologist was referred to us by the wonderful surgeon who performed the repair on the aneurism and put the heart valve in (the cardiologist and the surgeon used to work together). Since my husband had no prior heart problems and this all happened out-of-state, we had no idea of who to get for a cardiologist when we got home to Ohio so we went ahead with the surgeon's recommendation.

We like our cardiologist and feel comfortable with him because he came recommended by the surgeon who we liked very, very much. But, the cardiologist works out of University Hospitals here in Cleveland and not The Cleveland Clinic. I'm wondering if we should switch cardiologists and get one that is affiliated with The Cleveland Clinic since it's the number one hospital for hearts. God forbid if my husband would need another surgery down the line, I would want it at the best hospital possible. Would you switch? I guess if he would need surgery down the line, we could just go to The Cleveland Clinic anyhow for surgery...but if it would happen to be an emergency situation, like it was the first time, we'd have to go to University Hospitals. Any thoughts?

Hi Shari

Hi Shari

Since my surgery, I have experienced numerous problems that I feel have been related to my replacement of my aorta and my St Jude implant.

My local cardio seems more dismissive of these symptoms and although he sends me for different testings (MRIs, MRAs, echos, dopplers, etc.) I find little follow up or review with me of test results.

Sometimes a cardio's practice is too big, I feel, and we may get pushed by the wayside, although we still feel are problems are not resolved.

So........I have scheduled an appointment with the cardio who handled my case at Columbia pre-op and post-op as I feel he was more concerning to me as a person, meaning he is compassionate and caring.

In retrospect, I feel and BELIEVE that while our "hearts" have been modified (not repaired), we require on-going maintenance. and testing, and meds, etc. for the rest of our lives and need to be in the best hands we can find.

I intend to keep both cardiologists......my local (the dismissive one, for now, who I may fire at some point) and my cardio in New York at Columbia.

When I went for my checkup I was seen by the cardio's nurse practitioner, while my bro was in with the cardio. Bro was out in no time, while the pract spent a long time with me going over EVERYTHING, asked questions, answered questions and then I could see the cardio if I wanted. I find, too, that the cardios are too busy for us and spend as little time as possible with us. I hate it when you feel that you are not the MOST IMPORTANT person in the world while you are with your dr and if I didn't find that, I would seriously think of changing. Our hearts are now so much more important to us than they used to be, so you have to feel confident about your dr. Weigh all the considerations, then make your changes if you like. In the considerations, fear should not be a factor, but often is, unfortunately. God bless

Hi Bob,

I understand where you're coming from. After going through what you (and my husband) went through, it would be downright silly to not seek out the best possible treatment and followup care possible. We like his current cardiologist. I think there's a connection there because, even though he's located in Cleveland, he knows Dr. Risher at Strong Memorial in Rochester, who performed the surgery. He's a likeable fellow and seems to be thorough. It's just that nagging feeling of knowing you have the best heart hospital in your backyard so to speak and we're not there. I guess if my husband would require any type of surgery in the future, if we haven't switched to the Cleveland Clinic at that point, we could always elect to have the surgery done there anyhow.

Again to Shari and to Hensylee

Again to Shari and to Hensylee

Hensylee put it so well saying that "we are the most important person in the world"

I think we all feel that a good/great cardiologist is hard to find. And your level of comfort and trust is as important as your feelings about his/her qualifications.

My cardio's "bedside manner" still sucks, but I know that despite his dismissiveness, I do trust him. But that is not stopping me from getting a second opinion.

Words of Wisdom

Words of Wisdom

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Bob.

I'm sitting here right now with a list of questions, concerns, etc. about my meds and darned near afraid to call my cardiologist about it. I've been contemplating meeting with a second cardiologist and your words just confirm the reasons why I should.

Two _ _ _ _ s are better than one, as they say.

I hope I don't piss off my original cardio? But I gotta do what I gotta do, right?

I just booked my room at the Nashville Embassy. See ya there, right?

PerryA

My bro was afraid he'd piss off his former dr (who kept giving him the amiodarone w/o proper checking) and I told my bro I was not taking him back and if he wanted to go he'd have to figure it out for himself how to get there. That dr was hurting his life. I didn't care who got pissed. It is your life, too and you want it in the best hands possible. Besides, no dr should be insulted if any patient goes for a second opinion. In most cases, I think they are glad to have their diagnosis confirmed. God bless

Latest posts

Back