Change job after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brookwood

Just accepted a conditional job offer two weeks post op. Now must fill out a pre-employment medical histry form and take a drug test. A little nervous about disclosing my AVR surgery. Will the employer withdraw the offer because of my surgery? I had also taken hydrocodon (containing opiate) and morphine (in ICU) during my hospital stay for pain management. I should be OK to pass the drug test (hair) so long as I can show them my prescription, right?

Anyone has similar experience and wants to share?

BTW, my job is computer programming related and I'll try to negotiate a starting date in mid September or early October.

EJ

Well.. If they do withdraw your offer because of the AVR at least you have a nice lawsuit you can cash in on.

Just explain

Just explain

The truth will set you free;). If you dont need to start until Sept anyway, by then all the drugs should be out of your system and if need be they can double check you. Explain your situation and you should be fine. Similar experiences happen with newley hired, newly pregnant women all the time. The difference is, you are done with your hospital stay. Should be nothing.:):)

I must be missing something because I thought employers could not ask for medical history unless it directly relates to job requirements (like being able to lift a certain weight or stand for a long time, etc.). Can they really ask about your surgical history? Perhaps you are worrying for nothing.

As far as drug tests go, the form usually asks about the meds you are taking. If it can be found that any drugs could impair your job requirements, it might be an issue even if you have a prescription.

They didn't ask about surgical history directly, but the form needs me to provide information about heart or cardiac disease/problem, medication taken in past three months and conditions that cause hospitalization within last year.

Any advice?

They didn't ask about surgical history directly, but the form needs me to provide information about heart or cardiac disease/problem, medication taken in past three months and conditions that cause hospitalization within last year.

Any advice?

I can't imagine any reason you would be rejected for a regular-hour desk job because of heart problems, but your employer could refuse to cover further heart-related medical bills as "prexisting conditions." (That would make me think twice about taking that job, but it's a legal thing to do.)

It is perfect legal to refuse to hire people who will not be able to withstand the physical rigors of a job. So if the job would require long hours of overtime, field testing outdoors in very hot or cold climates or stressful travel, the employer would want to know if your medical condition would stop you from doing that job.

Is this form for health insurance or for the company itself? I used the do all the HR work for my husband's company. This is what we were allowed to ask: if it is for health insurance with this new job, the insurance company can ask those questions depending on the number of employees the company has. The HR person who gets that form is not allowed to share that info with anyone else in the company, including the owners. If it is just general info for the company itself, I don't think they can ask those kinds of questions. They can ask if you know of any condition you might have that would prevent you from doing the job without going into specifics. I don't know if that helps you, but good luck.

Kim

Any advice?

Google the web and see what you find about legalities of having to disclose medical history on an employment form.

In the mid-1970s, I applied for a copy-editing job at the Longview Journal (Longview TX). I was interviewed by the newspaper's owner and several of the editors. One of their questions was what church I attended -- an illegal question.

Latest posts

Back