Celebrity valve replacements

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mara

I read in the paper that Garrison Keillor, who hosts " A Prairie Home Companion" on NPR radio had a valve replaced at Mayo last week. It did not say what valve...any Minnesotans out there who know?

Schwartzenagger had the Ross Procedure a few years back.

I am sure there are others we don't know about.
Is there a stigma to valve replacement that I didn't know about?

I thought we are supposed to wear our scars with pride?

-Mara

Hey Mara,

I heard about Garrison Keillor on the Morning show before I went into work the other day and was wondering what he got as well.

Also, I think I heard from this group about Arnold getting the Ross Procedure. Apparently it didn't last long because he did some strenuous exercises a couple of days after the surgery and blew his Aortic Valve out. I have heard different stories about what he received in the second surgery. One source told me a mechanical and another mentioned a tissue valve.

Thought I would share with you what I know. It would be interesting to find out more.

Jim

Stephen King

Stephen King

I think I saw something about him having heart valve surgery in the paper today, but it may have been repair rather than replacement...also would be interesting to know.

some info on Arnold

some info on Arnold

I'm a little late to this discussion, and I've heard nothing about Garrison Keillor having an operation, but I was intrigued to hear about Arnold Schwartzenegger (I knew he had had an AVR, but I had not known what type or any of the details).

Given that I'm currently weighing the benefits of the Ross Procedure versus a mecanical valve, I went out on the Web and found some more detailed info about Arnold's surgery at http://www.vigormagazine.com/lib/Hrt/Hrt-Arnold.htm

Thought I'd share it with the group, but it sounds like he had the Ross Procedure, exercised too vigorously too soon, blew out his new aortic valve, and had a homograph put in.

Arnold

Arnold

Guess it shows that everyone needs to follow doctors orders. Maybe Arnold blew it because he was on the outside edge of RP age...he just turned 53 according to today's paper. Hmmm. maybe all those years of steroids didn't help any either...don't steroids mess up connective tissue? Plus I bet he was back liftin heavy weighs.
So far my RP seems okay, but hen I am following the doc's orders and doing my walking,etc....

Yes Mara, please stay away from benching your weight. At least for a little while, ok?
Kev:p

There's an extensive discussion about Arnold's surgery and associated foolishness (or should I say, stupidity) in the old forum sometime last spring, probably March or April when I first found this site. Seems he snuck out of his hospital bed and jumped on a hospital Life Cycle machine shortly after surgery to show how macho he was, or something like that. I used to be a macho weight lifter too (not quite on his level, of course!) when I was young but gave it up long before my 50's, settling for much less weight and much less 'impacting' exercise. There's got to be an age when we abandon the extremist indiscretions of youth and settle down into the reality that our heart valves and other essential organs shouldn't be put under excessive pressure.

Oh well, that's my rationalization. Of course, I don't have the money or fame that he does, either!

Well said Steve in FL

Well said Steve in FL

I agree Steve--
Arnold should have known better. Amybe now he realizes he's not invincible and that movies are not like real life.

-Mara

Buchanan, Pat

Buchanan, Pat

Regardless of your political beliefs (and believe me I am not a fan of his at all) we have an arch-consrvative celeb in our midst--Pat Buchanan had AVR as well a few years back.

celebrity

celebrity

Anyone remember Bobby Darrin?? I believe he had a Starr Edward ball and cage valve, a real oldie! It did not do well, and he died as a result of the implant. I dont know what the complication was, but heavens, that was like in the very early 60's I think.

Bobby - so young - so talented - a great loss to us all. I recall it very well but did not know he had an implant. Was too young and unworried about such things then to have paid attention. I just recall what a sad thing it was.

Latest posts

Back