Celebrex and Coumadin ??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

M&M

Hi, I was wondering has anyone here taken both these drugs at the same time. Years ago I took Celebrex for pain my hips - but it got better. Now it has come back and I called my PCP and they picked up on that - and said - Now because I'm on Coumadin - it would be riskier. They asked if I wouldn't mind trying tylenol with codeine instead for the pain. The tylenol could effect my INR level as well - just not as bad as the celebrex. They said try it for two weeks and if its not working - we can prescribe celebrex. What they said 'could' happen has scared me to the point that I don't want to take anything. Something about bleeding in my intestines.. YUK.. I'm not going to do anything - not even the tylenol with the codiene - I think I'll just take some hot baths and see if that helps. The pain comes and goes. I'll save those pills for the days that the pain is so bad it puts tears in my eyes then I'll take it.. and only then. Sounds awful. I'm glad my coumadin clinic and PCP office are on top of things. I don't take anything without calling them first. So far, knock on wood - I haven't had any problems..

Has, anybody had any experience with these two drugs?

Marilyn

Hi, I was prescribed Celebrex after I was already on coumadin and it was chosen because it presumedly has a lower chance of causing bleeding than some of the other NAISDs. It however was expensive and my insurance denied coverage for it. I stayed on it for a few months and had no bleeding problems but had a problem with a lot of swelling to my legs and increased shortness of breath. While on it I had to increase my diuretic to compensate and got along fine.

CELECOXIB (in Celebrex) may interact with WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin)

Although the cause of this potential interaction is not clearly understood, celecoxib may increase the anticoagulant effect of warfarin. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When celecoxib and warfarin are used at the same time, your blood may be much less likely to clot and this may increase the risk of excessive bleeding. If these drugs are taken together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with celecoxib is started or stopped, or when the dose of celecoxib is changed. Blood tests can be used to make sure that you are getting the right amount of warfarin. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of warfarin. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: April 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never seen anyone who had a problem with Celebrex. I have given talks for the company that used to market Celebrex. So you have to decide if I had to be sure that I knew what I was talking about because I was giving a presentation to a group of doctors OR am I prejudiced because I was paid well for giving these talks.

Latest posts

Back