Celebrate 1 year valvesary with hysterectomy????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faye

Just a few days over a year ago, I had my aortic valve replaced with a remarkable peice of equipment (words straight out of my surgeon's mounth) the On-X valve. I also am the pround owner of a dacron conduit now working as my ascending aorta. The months were rolling along and then POW - my ovaries decide to create large cysts. The one on the left didn't stick around long but the one on my right over is well over 3 inches in diameter. I will be facing a total hyserectomy through the abdomen on Friday the 19th to remove all parts associated with recent bothersome "wome issues"

I am on Coumadin and the medical team has a plan to reverse the anticoagulation, using Lovenox bridging, bringing back in the Coumadin the eveneing of surgery. I'm not too worried about this part.

I am worried about having a short stay of 3-4 days turn into a long stay - weeks, and weeks, and weeks like after my valve replacement.

I'm also worried about the recovery just one short year since my AVR. Does anyone have any advice for the days before, day of, or days after surgery to make things any easier? Are there things I should watch for?

Any advice, tips, or hugs are welcomed!!
Faue

Ok, guy close your eyes, this may be TMI for you.

Before OHS, I had a laproscopic hysterectomy. If your doctors think this is the best way for you, I'd recommend that over the full abdominal route--don't you have enough decorations already? besides, the recovery is faster.

Try to schedule your surgery for early A.M. Since you have to go without food or water from midnighter or so the night before until surgery, if your surgery is midafternoon, the dehydration can be rather rough. (I had a d&c scheduled that way prior to surgery, and it took days to rehydrate). On that line, stock up on gatorade, or crystal light, and sherbet. You may not want to eat much the first few days, but you need to drink.

In my case, we left the ovaries, but it can be done either way. Scarring is minimal. Recovery in hospital was just an overnight stay. 1 week on lortab (which I loathe and will never take again), no pain meds after that. I went back to work after 3 weeks...should have taken 4. Surgery date was Oct 4. I think I really got back to feeling good about Christmas. I tired easily the first 6 weeks, and was susceptible to colds the first 3 months. And when they say don't pick up anything heavier than 5-10 pounds, they mean it. And don't try to exercise for a few weeks, either! Week 3 I did 20 minutes in the garden, and had to lie down for 2 hours! Treat yourself very gently for a while!

And of course intercourse is rather how porcupines do it: "very carefully" for a while-you are quite tender for 2-3 months, as well.

When you go for your post op check ups, take some panty liners. Sometimes they have to snip a bit of scar tissue overgrowth, or the exam irritates the healing wound, and you bleed a tad - you more than someone else, of course.

It is hard on your body, but frankly, after the pain I put up with monthly because of fibroids for years and years, I don't miss not knowing what day of the month it is!

Now, knowing you had heavy duty surgery a year ago, you may indeed take longer to recover than I did. Your doctors may keep you in the hospital a day or so, rather than tossing you out on your ear the next day. Of course, the usual precautions with respect to checking your INR every 3-4 days the first couple weeks as you recover, until you stabilize again, still apply.

Certainly, if your gynecological condition is bad enough to warrant surgery, you will feel better after recovery than if you do nothing. Of course, it's still scary letting someone "slice and dice" after what you've been through already.

Best of luck to you, and Happy Valversary!

Congratulations on your first anniversay. May you have many many more.

I can provide any insights to your question but best wishes and good luck.

Faye:

I had a total hysterectomy (abdominal incision) 23 years ago. Of course, this was pre-MVR & warfarin.
I was in the hospital for 1 full week, standard back then. My surgery was early in the morning, and they started me on hormone shots that day. I took Premarin for several years, then just quit suddenly. (I'm sure going through menopause this way is far easier than the normal way, gradually over a period of time.)

You'll need to hold a pillow over your stomach when you sneeze or laugh for a while -- still got your heart pillow?

My mom came over from Dallas to stay with me for a few days after I came home, so someone would be with me during the day. Didn't stop me from getting on a chair to get something in a high kitchen cabinet. Not a good idea -- I pulled on stitches and bled some. So -- ask your doctors about cervical stitches!!!!!

It took me about 3 months to recover fully. I was off 6 weeks. Two weeks after I went back, my MIL died of Alzheimer's, and we had to go to Stephenville TX for several days. I made the mistake of cleaning my FIL's house, scrubbing bathtub, shower, sinks, vaccuming etc., and wore myself out. It was a setback to my recovery. So -- get some help with heavy-duty housework for a while afterward.

Good luck!

I had a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy 2 years after surgery. Your plan for Lovenox bridging sounds exactly like what I did. After the surgery, I spent 2 nights in the hospital, which is 1 more than normal, but they wanted to keep the leg massaging things on to prevent clots. After I got home, I felt great and was back at school the next week. I took 6 weeks off work, but only because I could, not because I needed it. I was a full-time employee, mom, and taking 12 hours so quite busy.

I had a friend who had an Abdominal Hysterectomy the day after I had my surgery. Unlike what Laurie stated, I think the Abdominal Hysterectomy is a little more difficult to recover from. Like heart surgery, they cut through layers of skin, muscle, and other tissues (fat :eek:). You have to do some type of Hormone Replacement Therapy, which is administered differently by different doctors. My friend had to go 2 weeks without hormones because they wanted her natural hormones out before starting the shots. She had hot flashes, dry mouth, the whole menopause bit for about a week. She had two C-Sections prior and she said the pain was very similar. It was about a week before she could really stand up straight.

Anyway, good luck. I'm sure this won't be as traumatic as heart surgery.

Congratulations on your 1 year, wishing you many more good years. Don't have any advice but wishing you all the best.

Faye, congratulation on the 1 year valversary and I am sorry that you have to face this now, but you've gotten all good advice here. I hope you find that you can have the
Laparoscopic Hysterectomy and I will put you on the calendar so we can all keep abreast of your recovery.

Cooker, Paula, Wayne, and Phyllis,
Thank you for the hugs and well wishes.

Laurie,
Thank you for the great info and "insider tips" - especially about the "Porcupine" and follow up visits. Those are things only one who has gone through it would know. Unfortunately, I have to have abdominal surgery because the docs feel the cyst is too large to get out with a laproscope. I had a C-section and I am planning for the same type of recovery. Pain...for a little while....but great relief in a few weeks.

Marsha,
Good tip on the heart pillow - I do have mine handy and will use it. I am lucky to have my daughter, 2 daughter-in-laws, and 1 soon to be daughter-in-law living within a few miles. They have all offered to help - even to clean toilets!

Lisa,
I wondered about hormone replacement therapy. I'm not sure which route I'll end up going. I'll have to ask my doc about whether I'll start right away or wait. I hadn't thought of asking that question.

As always, the folks on VR.com are the best. Thank you for your continued support.

Faye,

I hope you have as brief and comfortable an experience as possible. I'm sorry you have to go through this so soon, or ever, for that matter.

(It's too late to make a u-turn now, but for anyone else who reads this, I had a nearly 4-inch ovarian cyst removed laparoscopically 4 yrs ago.)

Hugs and good wishes for Friday!

Debby

Yeah, that fibroid must be big! Ouch!
Mine was the size of a peach, and it still came out laparoscopically.

I guess ( should reply all let of you know that I survived! I ended up with a hip to hip incision. The mass measured greater than 4+ inches in diameter, had grown to my left pelvic wall, and the limning surrounding my small intestine. It has been just 3 weeks and I'm pretty much back to normal - except lifting, vacuuming and and afternoon nap.

I am so glad to the my "evil twin" as mu husband called it...out of my stem with out a sign of cancer.

The doc did put me one.25 mg Premiering daily to help with the hot flashes. I'm in interested in how ochers on doing on HR.

Thanks again for you never ending support!

I guess ( should reply all let of you know that I survived! I ended up with a hip to hip incision. The mass measured greater than 4+ inches in diameter, had grown to my left pelvic wall, and the limning surrounding my small intestine. It has been just 3 weeks and I'm pretty much back to normal - except lifting, vacuuming and and afternoon nap.

I am so glad to the my "evil twin" as mu husband called it...out of my stem with out a sign of cancer.

The doc did put me one.25 mg Premiering daily to help with the hot flashes. I'm in interested in how ochers on doing on HR.

Thanks again for you never ending support!

I'm so glad to see your post because I had been wondering how your hysterectomy had gone. So glad to know that you're up & around! :)

I had had symptoms for over two years & had gone thru several doctors until one of them finally pinpointed the problem. And when I finally had the surgery the mass on my right ovary had actually burst & had "fused" some of my lower extremeties together! It was a mess they said when they went in! :eek: I was never put on any hormone drugs however & I just suffered thru the hot flashes. (I think I'm finally over them!) And it was so great NOT having a period anymore!!!! :)

Take care & do try to avoid vacuuming, pushing, pulling, anything that will put a strain on your lower extremities! Besides, it hurts like Hell, doesn't it?!:eek:

Evil Twin, indeed! It must feel great to be rid of that "parasite." That sounds like a great honker of an incision, too.

Take it easy. Even when you think you are up to snuff, you aren't. So get lots of rest between now and the New Year, and try to stay away from sick people. If you haven't gotten your flu shot yet, check with your doctor to see when you can have it.
This has surely been as big a stress to your body as the OHS, and you need to be extra kind to yourself for a good long while.

wow...evil twin for sure...I dont know how I missed the initial post pre-op here but I do wish you well as you continue to recover.

Gentle healing hugs...

PS...I hope instant menopause is kind to you.

Latest posts

Back