Cath scheduled for tomorrow!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorimacm

My cath is scheduled for tomorrow very early am. I am first on the schedule so good thing --- no delays.

I am a bit nervous but thanks to everyone here I do feel better. I have had excruciating headaches this week though and wondering if that will effect me tomorrow. I did not think they were migraines so I was trying to treat with just tylenol. When tylenol didn't work the migraine meds do help. I want to be alert tomorrow, but if I don't get enough meds to knock the headache I won't be able to hold still. Keep your fingers crossed I wake up in the am headache free.

I'm hoping tomorrow brings answers on when I can expect surgery and get the anxiety of not knowing under control.

:p

I think they will give you enough meds that you won't have to worry about moving during the procedure. One time I was shaking for some reason, and they upped the dose to stop it. It worked!
Cath's aren't pleasant, but they are necessary and relatively easy to undergo. Please let us know what the opinion is regarding possible surgery scheduling.

its not a big deal honestly. I was awake during my last 3 (age 11, 12 & 2 months ago) previously they would completely knock you out...ah the good ole days.

anyway, they will give you some good stuff to relax you. I was pretty wacked outed :p but the only real discomfort is when they inject the dye which will make you feel flushed. when you get back to your room you have to lay flat and chill. don't make the mistake I did (im a terrible patient) and try to get going too quickly...nurses let me get up too soon and I got sick. anyway, take it slow when your in recovery and you.ll be fine and should be on your way home that afternoon.

good luck!

I think what ever meds they give you will take care of everything. I get migranes when under stress, so wouldn't you know it. Just as my heart cath began I started getting an aura. I told my cardiologist who just upped the happy juice and yippee aura and headache gone. Just relax, all will turn out well for you. :)

Hey I had a cath done on Monday this week. It was a piece of cake. It was my first cath ever too. I have some posts in the pre-surgery section titled heart cath. they did not put me to sleep. they did give me a pretty nice cocktail through the IV and made the room spin a little bit. The heart cath was a very easy procedure, i did not feel anything, it lasted about 45min and i stayed a few hours after for observation. My cath was scheduled for 11 and i was out the door on my way home by 230. let me know if you have any questions.

Lori,

Good luck with your cath tomorrow - I will be thinking of you! And thank you for your good wishes for David's surgery on Friday.

David had his cath on Friday and it went smoothly but he still had to wait six hours before he could go home.

scuba_898...wow, in and out in 3.5 hours! That sounds like a record. From what I've read on here it seems that most people had to wait closer to six hours before going home.

David was pretty loopy for the first hour and then he was just going crazy from boredom. He is a real Type A and is not going to have an easy time being in the hospital for 7 days and then home without being able to drive for 4 weeks. I think I'm going to be the one going crazy then (and not from boredom!).

Nadine

Hi Lori, I dont know anything about caths yet, but its coming for me too. Let me know how it goes. Ill say an extra prayer for you tonight. Good luck!

I have only had the one cath presurgery. I had no meds other than a local at the site of entry. Ther was no pain or discomfort.

Leaving in about 30 minutes for the hospital - had to log in here to get my dose of courage. Thanks so much everyone, I will let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back