Carnivore Diet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
For the past 30 days I've been slowly converting over to a carnivore diet. So far I'm consuming about 80% meat and 20% fruit, vegetables, and dairy. My sugar cravings have gone done considerably and so far I'm feeling great. My energy level has increased and my quality of sleep has improved. My INR has been stable. There is so much out there on the pros and cons of doing this. Has any of my heart valve brothers and sisters here gone carnivore?

For the past 30 days I've been slowly converting over to a carnivore diet. So far I'm consuming about 80% meat and 20% fruit, vegetables, and dairy. My sugar cravings have gone done considerably and so far I'm feeling great. My energy level has increased and my quality of sleep has improved. My INR has been stable. There is so much out there on the pros and cons of doing this. Has any of my heart valve brothers and sisters here gone carnivore?
Not everyone can diet the same as you. And I am type 2 diabetic also, but no restrictions on my normal diet. I still nibble a bit but use portion control on sweets and what I eat at mealtime.

Not everyone can diet the same as you. And I am type 2 diabetic also, but no restrictions on my normal diet. I still nibble a bit but use portion control on sweets and what I eat at mealtime.
I've been able to control my diabetes completely with this way of eating....my HbA1c is always in the non-diabetic range and I eat extremely well. I don't feel I've lost out not eating sweets or bready things or processed foods.

For the past 30 days I've been slowly converting over to a carnivore diet. So far I'm consuming about 80% meat and 20% fruit, vegetables, and dairy.
Is your plan to go 100% carvivore and eventually remove all fruit and vegetables from your diet? I'm curious to know your motivation.

I've been able to control my diabetes completely with this way of eating....my HbA1c is always in the non-diabetic range and I eat extremely well. I don't feel I've lost out not eating sweets or bready things or processed foods.
My last blood panel revealed I was pre-diabetic. Processed sugar has been a difficult habit for me to kick. I still eat a few sweets now and then, however I no longer binge on cookies or ice cream like I used too. I don't miss it at all. If I get a bad sugar craving I'll eat one piece of fruit.

Last edited:
Is your plan to go 100% carvivore and eventually remove all fruit and vegetables from your diet? I'm curious to know your motivation.
My goal is to eat 90% carnivore. No processed sugar. I'll eat 1 piece of fruit if I get a sugar craving. Occasional vegetables. My motivation is to avoid diabetes as my last blood panel revealed I'm a pre-diabetic.

I was considering it. I know a guy who was type 2 diabetic and that went away. My friend no longer needs pain medicine for his back injury. I have arthritis of the spine and a couple of injured discs. I was hoping to relieve the pain. But I am high risk for colon cancer so was advised to avoid this diet.

I get the impression that this carnivore diet is all or nothing. It is not about cutting back on something like calories, fat or carbs so just cutting back partially is still beneficial. Instead, you are either 100% doing the diet or you are not doing the diet. There is an adjustment that takes place. It takes time. It also takes consistency. Something has to shift in your metabolism so you are deriving energy from meat instead of various forms of sugar. This doesn't happen if you half-ass this diet. This diet would have been fairly easy for me. I love meat and cheese. But I would miss fresh fruit. I eat oatmeal with fresh fruit almost everyday. I love bread but I could eliminate it.

Last edited:
I was considering it. I know a guy who was type 2 diabetic and that went away. My friend no longer needs pain medicine for his back injury. I have arthritis of the spine and a couple of injured discs. I was hoping to relieve the pain. But I am high risk for colon cancer so was advised to avoid this diet.

I get the impression that this carnivore diet is all or nothing. It is not about cutting back on something like calories, fat or carbs so just cutting back partially is still beneficial. Instead, you are either 100% doing the diet or you are not doing the diet. There is an adjustment that takes place. It takes time. It also takes consistency. Something has to shift in your metabolism so you are deriving energy from meat instead of various forms of sugar. This doesn't happen if you half-ass this diet. This diet would have been fairly easy for me. I love meat and cheese. But I would miss fresh fruit. I eat oatmeal with fresh fruit almost everyday. I love bread but I could eliminate it.
I wouldn't say its all or nothing. Everyone has a variation of Carnivore they live by. Yes there are 100% carnivores, but like you, I don't want to give up fruit and some vegetables however, my serving size would be very minimal. I recommend watching a few Ken D Berry MD videos on YouTube. He recommends trying Carnivore for 90 days. After 90 days make a health assessment. It will of course take your body a few weeks to acclimate to carb withdrawal symptoms but over time it should get easier.

I wouldn't say its all or nothing. Everyone has a variation of Carnivore they live by. Yes there are 100% carnivores, but like you, I don't want to give up fruit and some vegetables however, my serving size would be very minimal. I recommend watching a few Ken D Berry MD videos on YouTube. He recommends trying Carnivore for 90 days. After 90 days make a health assessment. It will of course take your body a few weeks to acclimate to carb withdrawal symptoms but over time it should get easier.
You need to do the diet or you are doing something else. He says try it 90 days. That is not being sloppy about it. Mixing in other things isn't doing the diet. You are free to do whatever you want of course but it isn't The Carnivore Diet if you are not following The Carnivore Diet. That should be obvious.

I see this on Allrecipes constantly. "I loved the recipe but I did this or that instead" Well, that stopped it from being the recipe. Apple Pie is apple pie yet there are hundreds of variations. My Mom's Apple Pie recipe is following her recipe exactly not yours. A carnivore diet can be a variation but The Carnivore Diet is specific. The former is just doing a diet heavy on meat.

The Carnivore Diet is a design based on principles. You undermine the point if you go against the plan. The point isn't merely to eat mostly meat. It is a certain combo in a certain proportion excluding specific things.

But one thing also appealing to me is you can eat as much as you need to feel sated. I know meat and cheese are satisfying and you feel full having eaten them but you are not limited in quantity. However it regulates itself because it is filling so you are not chasing after that. And it is OK to eat more if you want to.

Last edited:
What would you say is your ratio of animal protein to everything else ?
I wouldn't know my ratio as I don't do measuring. A typical day's food: for breakfast I will have a can of sardines or wild salmon, for lunch about 5 ounces lamb or beef (or chicken livers once a week), or 4 eggs scrambled, and some green veggies, ie broccoli, for snack mid afternoon 5 ounces or so of cheese and some almonds, for supper beef or lamb or chicken or eggs with two portions of veggies like cauliflower or cabbage which have been sautéed in coconut or avocado oil - the meat I have is fatty but I will add more fat if necessary - I principally get energy from fat. I'll have a small glass of wine with supper and I have full cream milk in a few cups of tea during the day (🫖not very paleolithic lol).

PS - all the meat I have is organic pasture fed so no added hormones or antibiotics.

Last edited:
My goal is to eat 90% carnivore. No processed sugar. I'll eat 1 piece of fruit if I get a sugar craving. Occasional vegetables. My motivation is to avoid diabetes as my last blood panel revealed I'm a pre-diabetic.
Has your cardiologist given you the green light for going Carnivore? Very controversial diet, for good reason. I have watched several of Ken Berry’s videos and heard the case he makes for the Carvivore diet. He is of the extreme minority view amongst physicians when it comes to the Carnivore diet, although I do find that I agree with him on some things.

Like you, I am pre-diabetic, which was discovered in 2019. At the time it was brought to my attention, I looked back at previous bloodwork and realized that I crossed the line into pre-diabetes about 2012, just that no physician had bothered to point it out to me. Sadly, many don’t even bring up to their patients that they are pre-diabetic. They generally wait until you become diabetic to take it seriously. By that point severe damage has already been done to the pancreatic beta cells and it is harder to reverse. So, good for you for taking action with lifestyle changes for your pre-diabetes, as this is the time when lifestyle changes can have the biggest positive outcome.

Discussing diet can be a bit like discussing religion with some folks, so it is with caution that I weigh into the discussion. However, I would encourage you to discuss with your cardiologist whether they believe that the Carnivore diet is heart healthy. There are other diets that work great for controlling pre-diabetes and diabetes, such as lower carb Mediterranean and Paleo, which you might consider and discuss with your doctor.

When I was officially diagnosed in 2019, the simple instruction from my cardiologist’s assistant was to “try to eat less sugar”. But, reading up on it, I realized that there was a lot more that I can and should do. I’ve been eating low carb Mediterranean for over 4 years now and my bloodwork shows that I no longer have pre-diabetes, both with fasting blood glucose and A1c of 5.1. However, I think the more accurate term would be to say that my pre-diabetes is in “remission”, because if I were to go back to my previous diet, including many high carbohydrate foods, my bloodwork would definitely again present as pre-diabetic.

My journey to the Mediterranean diet did not start out with me setting that as my goal. I bought a blood glucse meter ($25) and tested my post meal blood glucose response after every meal for about 6 months, to understand how each food impacted by BG and by how much. Generally I found the glycemic index for foods to be accurate, but not always. Some foods that were somewhat low or moderate on the index moved my BG higher than desired. I ended up eliminating, or severely limiting, foods that caused my blood glucose to spike. I also tried to incorporate as many highly nutritious foods into my diet as possible, provided I liked them. When I got the diet that was healthy and controlled my blood glucose well, I realized I had arrived at a semi low-carb version of the Mediterranean diet. I recently read up on Paleo and realized that with just a couple of exceptions, my diet fits pretty well into the Paleo diet box as well. I prefer not to call it diet, as it is just my way of life now. Diets are temporary and hard to stick to. So, it is just my way of life and how I eat, rather than a diet, so when I use the term "diet", just know that is what I mean.

Basically, I make a large salad every day. Typically, I would include spinach, cabbage, beans, chia seeds, tomatoes, avocados, bell peppers, onions and olives. For protein, besides the chia seeds, I add wild caught salmon or wild caught sardines and also cheese. For dressing I usually use a low carb dressing, which has olive oil as its base.

For snacks I usually eat nuts and seeds, and sometimes pop a can of wild caught sardines or oysters. I get a big thumbs up from my cardiologist on my diet and the results which it has had on my blood work.

The way I eat is sort of Mediterranean, but a low carb version. Bread is part of the Mediterranean diet, but I cut it out for about 2 years as I know how that spikes my blood sugar. But, I found a high fiber low carb bread that only has 1 gram of net carbs, and eat it daily.

The way I eat is kind of Paleo, but I include beans and other legumes. Paleo eliminates processed foods and typically includes non-processed, wild caught or grass fed meat sources, as well as lots of fruits and vegetables. So, all of that would describe how I eat, except for my inclusion of legumes. As to the legumes, I have seen all the info they claim about lectins and phytic acid, but it just does not hold up against the evidence in my view. Although, I eat beans in small quantities, so as not to bump my blood glucose.

You could also call me a Pescatarian, due to the amount of fish I eat. But, I also eat some beef, chicken and pork, it’s just that I don’t eat them as often as fish. BTW, I choose wild caught fish high in Omega 3.

Things I mostly avoid: Sugar, ultra processed foods, juice (whole fruit is better), most grains, rice and pasta. I do include a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I will avoid or significantly limit some that I know cause my blood glucose to spike, such as grapes, melons and potatoes.

Things I include: Lots of leafy greens, lots of cruciferous, all kinds of fruits and vegetables, with the noted exclusions above, wild caught fatty fish high in Omega 3s, moderate amounts of beef, chicken and pork. Not too much dairy, mostly in the form of cheese.

Many times an elimination diet, such as Carnivore, will make a person feel better, as cutting out sugar and processed foods will reduce inflammation. The current western diet, so high in sugar, high fructose corn syrup and ultra processed foods is so terrible, that any diet that eliminates these foods is probably superior and will make a person feel better. Eliminating these foods will also usually lead to weight loss, which will make you feel better and cause some blood markers to improve. But, I would look into it further and ask your cardiologist if it is a good plan to eliminate the vast majority of fruits, vegetables and fiber from your diet.

You might find this video by Dr. Gil Carvalho interesting. In my view, he does a good job of focusing on the science and cutting through hype and myth. BTW, Dr. Carvalho was also very critical of the claims made by the vegan documentary, Game Changers, for relying so heavily on anecdotes.

Last edited:
Eating death cannot promote long life. You are eating animals who get their nutritional needs met from a vegetarian diet. Skip the animals, eat plant-based.
Mankind relied on meat for generations before any so called balanced diet was available. It takes longer than this to evolve. We are the same animal that we have been since we relied on everything through eating meat.

Last edited:
Eating death cannot promote long life. You are eating animals who get their nutritional needs met from a vegetarian diet. Skip the animals, eat plant-based.
"Eating death" is a new one to me. I don't stay satiated for long just eating a plant based diet. I know companies are making plants taste like meat but then I realized that cows have been doing that forever. I'll stick with steak.

Has your cardiologist given you the green light for going Carnivore?
No. I'll reach out to him. I haven't limited myself on the types of food I eat since my heart surgery with the exception of large amounts of greens containing K2. I've experimented with diet over the years and found that I felt so much healthier with lower carb/high fat diet. I'm curious to see my next blood panel.
Discussing diet can be a bit like discussing religion with some folks,
You ain't kidding.
When I was officially diagnosed in 2019, the simple instruction from my cardiologist’s assistant was to “try to eat less sugar”
Truth. All the health professional would agree with avoiding processed sugar. It wreaks havoc on my skin and causes me joint inflammation, not to mention feeling tired and fatigued. The became so apparent to me when I reintroduced sweet desserts after my meals.
Many times an elimination diet, such as Carnivore, will make a person feel better, as cutting out sugar and processed foods will reduce inflammation. The current western diet, so high in sugar, high fructose corn syrup and ultra processed foods is so terrible, that any diet that eliminates these foods is probably superior and will make a person feel better.
I agree. Going 100% carnivore can be difficult to maintain. Its even harder when your the only one in the family that eats this way.

You need to do the diet or you are doing something else. He says try it 90 days. That is not being sloppy about it. Mixing in other things isn't doing the diet. You are free to do whatever you want of course but it isn't The Carnivore Diet if you are not following The Carnivore Diet. That should be obvious.

I see this on Allrecipes constantly. "I loved the recipe but I did this or that instead" Well, that stopped it from being the recipe. Apple Pie is apple pie yet there are hundreds of variations. My Mom's Apple Pie recipe is following her recipe exactly not yours. A carnivore diet can be a variation but The Carnivore Diet is specific. The former is just doing a diet heavy on meat.

The Carnivore Diet is a design based on principles. You undermine the point if you go against the plan. The point isn't merely to eat mostly meat. It is a certain combo in a certain proportion excluding specific things.

But one thing also appealing to me is you can eat as much as you need to feel sated. I know meat and cheese are satisfying and you feel full having eaten them but you are not limited in quantity. However it regulates itself because it is filling so you are not chasing after that. And it is OK to eat more if you want to.
Dr. Berry is just one example of many that preach Carnivore. Yes, there are so many variations of Carnivore but there isn't a specific carnivore diet. Some don't include fish or dairy. There are so many different "plans" that fall into the Carnivore bucket. You can try his 90 day meal plan if you like. I will pass on Dr. Berry's because I won't be giving up dairy. I've already seen a marked improvement in how I feel with just an elimination (mostly processed sugar) diet.

I wouldn't know my ratio as I don't do measuring. A typical day's food: for breakfast I will have a can of sardines or wild salmon, for lunch about 5 ounces lamb or beef (or chicken livers once a week), or 4 eggs scrambled, and some green veggies, ie broccoli, for snack mid afternoon 5 ounces or so of cheese and some almonds, for supper beef or lamb or chicken or eggs with two portions of veggies like cauliflower or cabbage which have been sautéed in coconut or avocado oil - the meat I have is fatty but I will add more fat if necessary - I principally get energy from fat. I'll have a small glass of wine with supper and I have full cream milk in a few cups of tea during the day (🫖not very paleolithic lol).

PS - all the meat I have is organic pasture fed so no added hormones or antibiotics.
That type of diet/lifestyle sounds wonderful.

Congrats to you. But some think everyone can do the same diet. You are doing great and keep it up.

Back