Career after heart valve replacment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krodgers

Hey everyone I’m a 19y/o with an edwards mitral resilla valve put in last year and I’m currently being medically separated from the military I am a helicopter mechanic in the navy and I plan on doing something similar when I get out of the military I’m really concerned if I will be able to get a job like that or possibly wanting to be a lineman for an electrical company I can’t stand desk work or anything at home I need to be up and busy so that’s out of the picture just concerned I won’t have the opportunity to do these things or if employers would deny me for my condition.

I am a helicopter mechanic
I'm pretty unclear about what it is that would prevent you from being a mechanic?

I've done lots of jobs ranging from Construction through to Sound work (which basically involves lugging heavy stuff and pulling cables around) as well as done a lot of physical activity all my life. Not sure what you are imagining, but OHS doesn't make you into Davros from Dr Who

1703931710439.png

Eg
https://www.newsweek.com/my-turn-climbing-everest-bionic-heart-99749
within a year of OHS you'll be better than before. I like to XC Ski, and this is me back in Finland 2 years after OHS
1703932022086.png

This is a project I completed in stages over a few years, I did all the construction myself.

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2022/01/two-sheds.html
All that happens is they replace a buggad up part in you with a good one and you are then back to normal ... just like I did with the front end rebuild on my motorcycle (forks, brake seals, steering head bearing, wheel bearings).

I also ride and work on my electric scooter

pretty normal sorta stuff for me

Anyway, you don't even ever need to discuss your prior medical history with civilian employers

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Something I wrote back in 2011
https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/11/heart-of-matter.htmlBest Wishes

Last edited:
Hey everyone I’m a 19y/o with an edwards mitral resilla valve put in last year and I’m currently being medically separated from the military I am a helicopter mechanic in the navy and I plan on doing something similar when I get out of the military I’m really concerned if I will be able to get a job like that or possibly wanting to be a lineman for an electrical company I can’t stand desk work or anything at home I need to be up and busy so that’s out of the picture just concerned I won’t have the opportunity to do these things or if employers would deny me for my condition.
Nothing to keep you from your dreams for a career.

There is nothing to prevent you from doing any of those jobs. I am 58 years old and work ordnance cleanup and disposal and have had the same valve you do.

John K

There is no reason why you can't do the jobs that you've described.

I'd be curious to know what is giving you the idea that you will be limited in which career that you want to pursue?

Also, you have a tissue valve. Usually the misinformation out there is informing people, incorrectly, that they can't be active with a mechanical valve. But, you have a tissue valve, so the misinformation about mechanical valves and warfarin would not even apply to you.

Follow whatever dreams you have about your future career. If a physician is telling you that you can't be a mechanic or lineman, get a second opinion. Unless there is some other medical condition, which you have not shared with us, no reason that your resilia mitral valve should keep you from either of those fields. In fact, I can't think of a field from which you would be excluded from.

Live your life as a normal 19 year old would, but continue to get your follow up cardiology appointments.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are imagining, but OHS doesn't make you into Davros from Dr Who

View attachment 889743

Maybe not Davros, but it made me into this:

dalek walking dog.jpg

Dogs love me more than ever before though, when I go out for a walk they think I'm some kind of moving fire hydrant, which can get rather annoying to be honest, despite my being a dog lover at heart.

I wonder if you are thinking about electrical interference as it might affect pacemakers? If you have one of those (as I do, from surgical complication/cock-up), then high voltage work is an issue. But not for a valve, either tissue or mechanical.

Don't sell yourself short! I made that mistake long ago after I had OHS and I thought I needed a "safe" job. You are now "fixed" and should be able to do, pretty much, whatever you wish. After your discharge and being age 19 go for what you want. Complete your education or increase your skill level.....you are very young with a long life ahead of you.

helicopter mechanic in the navy
I don't know what country you live in, so I will write this in the context of the USA. Do you have an FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) Airframe and Powerplant license? The Navy gave you the knowledge, but in the civilian world you also need the license. I'm not sure how long it takes to get the license, but you can do it.

Hi 19 year old!! Look - I have TWO artificial heart valves. In addition I have a debilitating and degrading auto immune disease that is literally destroying my spine. And I'm 61 years old and with BAD respiratory problems. I have just finsihed a 4 month stint working in the desert of Saudi Arabia, and i m feeling fine (although a little tired)!! No reason for you to give up young man - your life is ahead of you. MOST IMPORTANT.... A healthy positive attitude with a DEEP sense of humour.. Good luck - and enjoy your life..

For most jobs it would be illegal for them to even ask about your medical conditions. Your valve condition doesn’t even rise to the level of something that would make you lose consciousness or really affect your work in any respect. It’s fixed! Sorry the Navy doesn’t see it that way. I hope they have some transition services to help you transition successfully to similar work in civilian contexts. Wishing you a fulfilling career doing work you enjoy.

And be sure to do ***all*** your recommended follow - up medical appts and tests and maintain seamless insurance. You can really screw things up by skipping annual echos and appointments. This is the mom in me (can you tell I have 5 kids who are young adults now) saying make sure you see a primary care doctor and a cardiologist right before you separate and ask them to help you establish civilian care. It could be life or death or worse “life or disability” whether you’re getting proper follow-up care or not, you can’t be as casual as your peers as you may well need another valve job in the future and it MUST be done in a timely manner. Ask us here if you need help navigating any of that.

I am a helicopter mechanic in the navy and I plan on doing something similar when I get out of the military
I would imagine there are several jobs in civil life, which are similar enough. For example, there are many car mechanics. And civil helicopters that also need maintenance.

And be sure to do ***all*** your recommended follow - up medical appts and tests and maintain seamless insurance.
IHMO it's a very important point from @dornole . Many people don't know of their health conditions. You do, which is an advantage. Just need to maintain regular checkups.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and I’m glad to hear that I shouldn’t have any problems I was more concerned if an employer would find out about my condition and say no way your working for me things along those lines but I think it will all work out thanks everyone.

Your health journey is unique, and it's awesome that the responses have been reassuring. Employers should focus on your skills and talents, not your medical history.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and I’m glad to hear that I shouldn’t have any problems I was more concerned if an employer would find out about my condition and say no way your working for me things along those lines but I think it will all work out thanks everyone.
They’re not allowed to ask beyond things like setting minimum lifting requirements and fire fighters will have to pass physical tests.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people you work with have nice chest scars like you have.

I embarrassed my daughter years ago at a Father/Daughter event when I started comparing my chest incision scar with a few fathers who had similar scars. The number of people who've had OHS surgeries continues to increase - and good survival times add to the number of people with these scars.

I'm not suggesting that you bare your chest during a job interview, but you shouldn't be surprised to learn that you're not the only one at the organization that's lucky to hire you with a history of OHS.

Back