CardioMEMS Sensor for aneurysms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

djexec

I was reading yesterday in the Atlanta Business Chronicle about a newly approved sensor that can be permanently implanted in patients treated for aortic aneurysms. Presently it has only been approved for abdominal aneurysms but yesterday I spoke with Dr. Sandeep Yadav at the Cleveland Clinic & he indicated that they were beginning trials on ascending aortic implants. The implant is used to make sure the stent is working properly and that the pressure has been reduced. Anyway, it was interesting to me and since so many of us on this site either have aortic aneurysms or have had aneurysm repairs I thought it was worth posting. If you would like to read more, you may visit their web site www.cardiomems.com

Several years ago my husband worked on developing MEMS technology at a non-medical Fortune 500 company. I remember when wireless sensors were the size of a pair of D batteries and what a big deal it was when they were able to reduce them to the size of a quarter. And now they're being implanted in human beings to help safeguard their lives. This is a great example of why it's so important that our government, along with the private sector, supports education and basic research.

Latest posts

Back