Cardio Appt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well, I just had my yearly cardio appt yesterday. I had to start all over again with a new cardio this year. Last year I had a new cardio too. In the last 4 1/2 to five years I have had three cardios. I hope I keep this one awhile. They all seem to leave UVA and go somewhere else.
Well here is how things went. He started off by telling me that I have already beat the odds and he finds my story to be very very interesting. I have my aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude and I had my ascending aorta replaced with dacron. He said that what happened to me usually happens to people with Marfan's and I do not have that. He told me that everything sounds just fine to him and that I am doing well. The only thing he wanted to do was an echo. I haven't had one since November of 2002. My surgery was September of 2002. My previous cardio didn't think it was necessary to do echos every year because he would be able to hear a change before I would even notice any symptoms. My new cardio agrees with that but he says he wants to do an echo every few years. He doesn't feel an echo every year would be beneficial in my case other than to cause me anxiety. He said what he is looking for is any leaking around the sutures of the new valve and any clots that may be on the valve. He actually had me leave my appointment and have the echo done right away so I wouldn't have to drive an hour again on another day.
The only thing now is waiting for the echo results. I am a mess now. I keep thinking they are going to find something wrong since I haven't had an echo in so long. They told me I would have the results today or Monday. I just feel like a bomb is going to be dropped.
My echo seemed to take awhile to do. The tech told me she couldn't tell me anything. She seemed to be having trouble when she was looking around the mitral valve area. That is the area under the breast isn't it? She told me to hold my breath a couple of times and then she really had to push hard on the underneath area of my breast to get what she was looking for. This is what has me thinking something is wrong. Then again it could just be my BIG BOOBS were just making it difficult to get a good picture!!;) I just wanted to run this by you guys to see what you think. I'll let you all know how things go.

Take Care!
Gail

I had my mitral valve repair Feb 2005 and my last Card visit and echo Sept 2005. I am scheduled for my next Card visit and Echo Sept 2006, my first "annual" visit since my surgery. After this visit, depending on what he sees, since I had a repair he thinks I can may be able to reduce my visits to less than annually, perhaps every other year or so providing I am still seeing my GP annually. In any event, I think getting an echo peridoically makes good preventative sense, it doesn't mean anything will be wrong. If you are worried about what they'll find because it's been so long since the last echo, then perhaps its time you had one. Better to be safe than sorry.

As far as they're having trouble getting a good picture around the mitral valve area, I'm a skinny guy (i.e. no boobs :D ) and whenever I've gotten echos, they always seem to be searching around to get a good picture. I don't think I'd read too much into that.

Best wishes for good echo results.

threadworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Gail

I am new to this board and new to heart disease too. I live in Culpeper and decided to see a cardiologist at UVA. Had an Echo there on Wed. and I am now waiting to hear from Dr. Ragosta. Next step will be a cath and then likely surgery for Mitral Stenosis and Regurg. Anyway, just wondering what Card you are seeing and your overall thoughts on UVA's cardiology unit.

Thanks

Amy

Just want to say Good Luck to you and hope your echo report shows everything looks good.

Don't read anything into the tech or how long it took them or what they appeared to be studying. We can read all sorts of things into body language etc that simply is not true.

I understand your stress waiting for the echo results. Try your best to compartmentalize it until you hear from your cardio.

Don't let it wreck your weekend if you don't hear until next week.

Thanks

Thanks

to everyone for your replies. They really helped me quite a bit.

Ross,
My oh my what a picture that would be. It seems like my boobs have ballooned up since having my two girls and also after my OHS. I think they have grown two whole cup sizes since pre-pregnancy. :D

Amy,
I really like the cardios I have had at UVA. The only thing I would suggest would be that you don't get seen at the clinic. One time before my surgery I had to be seen in the clinic because that was the earliest appointment I could get. My experience was not a good one. Didn't really listen to me and didn't diagnose me correctly. Since my surgery I have gone back to UVA but I am seen as a private patient of the cardiologists on staff. I will not see an fellows or residents etc....
My first doc was Dr. Powers. He moved to SC. My second doc was Dr. Sarembach. He moved to Ohio. I am now seeing a Dr. by the name of Akosah. I have liked all of them very very much. They take their time and listen to you and answer your questions thoroughly. You feel like a person and not a number.

Wayne & Jkm7,
Thank you so much for the responses. Hearing from others really helps get through those times of worry.
I have heard back from the nurse today and she told me that my doc was the one that read my echo. She said he will probably use this echo as my base echo from now on. My aortic valve is working properly and my heart is working efficiently. I asked about my other valves and she told me that everything was working normally. She also told me that the doc will most likely not want to do another echo for about three years unless he suspects something wrong is going on. The nurse said she wanted me to get the results before the weekend so I could enjoy Mother's Day.

Thanks again to all of you!
Gail
:D

Cardiologists in Charlottesville

Cardiologists in Charlottesville

Amy-

My father has a blocked descending ventricular which they discovered after they realized he had 2 heart attacks. He was seen at Martha Washington. We went down a month ago and I posted on this site to see if any one had recommendations for cardiologist in the area so he could get a second opinion. Here is the thread: http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20360

Gail -

Good luck with the results. The waiting is the hardest part!

Caroline

What good news, Gail. I'm so happy for you that the report is so good and that your doctor's office has compassion and didn't want you worrying all weekend. I love when I hear some sensitivity eminating from doctor's offices. That is not always the case.

Have a GREAT weekend.

GAIL!

Good to see you posting again :).

And, glad to read that things are going well for you!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I missed a million miles of fun" ... Len ... 'Steal My Sunshine'

Latest posts

Back