Cardiac Devices & Infections

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RonP

I've recently read that those with cardiac devices have a great risk of getting infections around those devices which can be either dangereous or fatal and that chance is around 50% within 6 years. Since I have both the St. Jude aortic valve and a Guidant Pacemaker/Defibrillator, this really concerned me. Has anyone else been following this?

Hi Ron-

My husband Joe has an aortic Bjork Shiley mechanical valve (24 years old), a mitral St. Jude mechanical valve (2+ years old), and a Guidant pacemaker about 1 year old. He hasn't had any infections around his heart. We haven't heard anything about it, but when he has dental procedures he always takes his antibiotics. That's a major source of infections with heart patients.

I wouldn't worry about it, but what does your cardiologist have to say about it?

Hi RonP

I have a mechanical mitral valve and am waiting for surgery
on my aortic valve.

This risk is there for infection but you learn to live a new
life style to protect yourself. The reason I have a mital valve is
due to the disease endocarditis.

I take antibiotics before I go to the dentist. I also recieve
a flu shot in the fall. If I get a sore throat I go to my Dr. and
he does a throat swab to check for strep throat.

Other than my leaky aortic valve I feel great. I was
sick more often before my replacement than I am now.

:p Judy

Last edited:
Ron,

They may be talking about bacterial endocarditis. Just make sure you take antibiotics before/after dental procedures or any ear/nose/throat procedures and you should be fine. I agree with the other poster who said to get sore throats checked out as well to make sure it isn't strep.

Cardiac Devices & Infection

Sheri:

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand what to watch for now. They try to make it more confusing than it needs to be.

Thanks,
RON

Nancy said:
Hi Ron-

My husband Joe has an aortic Bjork Shiley mechanical valve (24 years old), a mitral St. Jude mechanical valve (2+ years old), and a Guidant pacemaker about 1 year old. He hasn't had any infections around his heart. We haven't heard anything about it, but when he has dental procedures he always takes his antibiotics. That's a major source of infections with heart patients.

I wouldn't worry about it, but what does your cardiologist have to say about it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nancy:

:) I've not asked my cardiologist about it yet as I was just reading on it this week. I know it's on the top of my list. It sounds like your husband and I have basically the same type of problems. So far all is well here. I hope it is tehre as well.
Thanks for the advice.

RON

Latest posts

Back