Cardiac Ablation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braveheart

Apparently, I have had three bouts of atrial fibrillation since my AVR on 6/30/09. Once was right after the procedure, once five days after I had stopped the amiodarone (as per my MD's instruction), and one other time, while I was taking the medication.

I have looked up the side effects of this drug, and am horrified. In addition, since I am taking the drug, I have had a cough, sometimes better, sometimes worse, and an occasional wheezing spell. I find that I am often short of breath, and tend to be tired.

I spoke with my cardiologist, and asked him why I can't switch to one of the less problematic substitutes for amiodarone. He said, that since I had a bypass as well as an AVR, that I have heart disease, and he does not think that the amiodarone substitutes are appropriate.

He suggests that I consider a cardiac radiofrequency ablation. According to the doctor, the procedure has had great success in the majority of patients. He gave me the name of a doctor who is on the other side of my state (3-4 hour ride), but who seems to have impressive credentials.

Are any of you familiar with this procedure? If you have had it, were you able to get off the amidarone?

Personally, I am getting tired of cures that are worse than the disease they are supposed to fix. :eek:

I am not sure what “type” of ablation I had but it was done during my AVR ... I suffered with A-Fib for several years prior to surgery ... mine was not constant but would come and go ... I went into A-Fib once about two weeks after the ablation (which they said could happen) ... I was cardioverted and have had no problem with it since that one time in 2006 ... I wish you the best..:)

Cooker- Your experience sounds promising. One of the things that I picked up during my research, was that the more that you let it go, and the more tissue becomes diseased, the less the chance of a favorable outcome. Therefore, I would like the procedure done........yesterday. :)

Are you still taking any meds for the a-fib?

Braveheart, I've had two cardiac ablations this year. Unfortunately for me, neither of them was successful. However, if your a-fib is bothersome and you'd prefer not to have to take drugs for life, I would go for it. It has a low risk of problems and if it works, then your problem is fixed.

On a side note, there is a new drug that is basically amiodarone that hopefully won't have the same terrible side effects of amiodarone. It is called Multaq (Dronedarone) and I started taking it about 1.5 weeks ago. I believe there are two other people on here who take it as well. I'm surprised your cardio didn't mention it as an option.

If you have any specific questions about the ablation, feel free to ask.

Kim

Cooker- Your experience sounds promising. One of the things that I picked up during my research, was that the more that you let it go, and the more tissue becomes diseased, the less the chance of a favorable outcome. Therefore, I would like the procedure done........yesterday. :)
Are you still taking any meds for the a-fib?

Braveheart,
You are only about 4 months from surgery and are still healing, so I strongly urge you to email your surgeon and cardio at Cleveland and see what they suggest.

Probably the worst experience I had after surgery was Atrial flutter that I got a month out of surgery. I too had several bouts of A-Fib and was both cardio-verted and self-converted several times in the hospital. Eventually I settled into atrial flutter about a month after surgery and my local cardio referred me to an EP (electrophysiologist) who suggested an ablation. I emailed my surgeon and cardio at Cleveland and they suggested that I wait for the heart to heal from the surgery and then try less invasive techniques (Amiodarone and cardio-version) before going ahead with the ablation. The surgeon suggested that even at 3 months the heart is still healing and recovering from the shock of surgery.

I had good results from emailing my surgeon (Pettersson) who responded to my email within a day and was very helpful in my decision. I eventually had a cardioversion and have remained in sinus rhythm for the past year and a half. Since then I avoid obvious triggers for arrhythmias especially caffeine in coffee and tea. Best of luck to you- arrhythmias are a major pain...

Take care,
John

I emailed my surgeon and cardio at Cleveland and they suggested that I wait for the heart to heal from the surgery and then try less invasive techniques (Amiodarone and cardio-version) before going ahead with the ablation. The surgeon suggested that even at 3 months the heart is still healing and recovering from the shock of surgery.

Lionheart- I think that I will contact Cleveland. My problem is that I think that the amiodarone is really making a mess of my lungs. There is a part of me that would like to taper off the drug, and cross my fingers, but I don't know if that is practical.

Braveheart, I've had two cardiac ablations this year. Unfortunately for me, neither of them was successful. However, if your a-fib is bothersome and you'd prefer not to have to take drugs for life, I would go for it. It has a low risk of problems and if it works, then your problem is fixed.

On a side note, there is a new drug that is basically amiodarone that hopefully won't have the same terrible side effects of amiodarone. It is called Multaq (Dronedarone) and I started taking it about 1.5 weeks ago. I believe there are two other people on here who take it as well. I'm surprised your cardio didn't mention it as an option.

If you have any specific questions about the ablation, feel free to ask.

Kim

Braveheart,
I am one of those people she is talking about. I have been on Multaq since October 1st with great results. It kicked my A-fib in 2 days. Find another cardio that will prescribe it for you until you have an ablation at least. There are no major side affects, and like others amiodarone was starting to affect my lungs. I was glad to get off of the amiodarone!! :)

Braveheart,
I emailed my surgeon and cardio at Cleveland and they suggested that I wait for the heart to heal from the surgery and then try less invasive techniques (Amiodarone and cardio-version) before going ahead with the ablation. The surgeon suggested that even at 3 months the heart is still healing and recovering from the shock of surgery.

Braveheart, I didn't realize that you were only 4 months post op. No one I saw would even consider me for an ablation until I was at least 6 months post op, but really preferred that I wait 12, which I did. I would definitely push the switch from Amiodarone to Multaq if you feel your lungs are starting to suffer until you can get a little more healing time in before you persue an ablation. It is really still early days for you, who knows, your heart may stop all this on it's own.

Kim

I had an ablation and it was successful. I had rapid HB ever since I can remember. However, I would call CC. I don't think I would want an ablation 4 months out of AVR! Mine was a little over a year after my AVR. Your probably still sore. I know I was on that dag gone drug too and I read the side effects and it really scared me and I told my surgeon to get me off of it and he did. I was on it for about a month after surgery. According to my surgeon, he said that stays in your system for awhile. I know the struggle with A-Fib. I feel for you! Best of luck.

The thing that really annoys me is that I have only had three instances of A-fib. If it were any other kind of drug, I would say, "to hell with the doctor", and taper off it myself. The thing is, I don't want to play around with a-fib.

I called C.C., and sent them some records. I am also going to have a consultation with the electrophysiologist in West Palm. Bottom line, if I am not happy about what I am hearing, I will try to get back to C.C.. The problem is, my husband is not that well, and he wouldn't be able to go with me. My brother and son offered to accompany me.

The thing that really annoys me is that I have only had three instances of A-fib. If it were any other kind of drug, I would say, "to hell with the doctor", and taper off it myself. The thing is, I don't want to play around with a-fib.

Sounds like we have alot in common. But ,I have to agree that arrhythmias
are nothing to try to handle on your own. I had A.Flutter and SVT a few
times and had cardiac ablation twice,it was successful both times. The
first time it held for 2 months, and the 2nd was a couple years ago, so
I know they can be effective in some cases. I wish you all the best - Dina

Dina- Your experiences are reassuring. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I've had two cardiac ablations this year. Unfortunately for me, neither of them was successful. However, if your a-fib is bothersome and you'd prefer not to have to take drugs for life, I would go for it. It has a low risk of problems and if it works, then your problem is fixed.

David-There is one thing of which I am very confused. My understanding is that A-Fib may be a side effect of the AVR that will not happen after the heart has healed. It is not like I have been suffering with chronic a-fib.

Can anyone here clarify the situation for me?

David-There is one thing of which I am very confused. My understanding is that A-Fib may be a side effect of the AVR that will not happen after the heart has healed. It is not like I have been suffering with chronic a-fib.

Can anyone here clarify the situation for me?

You can definitely experience A-fib as a result of surgery. It may resolve on it's own or you can be cardioverted and you may get lucky and it will stay out of a-fib. These are just two other reasons to wait and give your heart more time to heal before you go have another invasive procedure on your heart.

Kim

You can definitely experience A-fib as a result of surgery. It may resolve on it's own or you can be cardioverted and you may get lucky and it will stay out of a-fib. These are just two other reasons to wait and give your heart more time to heal before you go have another invasive procedure on your heart.

That is what I would think is the most logical. Problem is the amiodarone, which is messing up my lungs. I am just wondering if it might be a good thing to look for another cardiologist who has more imagination than the one that I have now.

Central Florida is just not Cleveland!!!:mad:

Braveheart, I personnally did not have a-fib (surgeon did a maze on me to try and avoid me going into it), however, I have noticed several people on here who have had it were cardioverted almost immediately, or so it seemed. If I were in your shoes, and were taking a drug I did not like, and had a cardio who didn't seem to really be willing to present other options, I would most definitely look for a new one. I'm sure you can find a good, up-to-date cardio closer to you than the CC.

As several of us have mentioned, there is a new "form" of Amiodarone that is not supposed to have the terrible side effects of Amiodarone called Multaq. I know that Al is always talking about Soltalol being an option for those who are in a-fib (this is another drug my dr.'s have mentioned for me). I would at least expect my Dr. to be willing to explore these other drug options with me.

You do have options, you just need a Dr. on the other end who is open to them.

Good luck.

Kim

I have an appointment with the electrophysiologist in West Palm on November 11. If I like what he has to say, I will go ahead with the ablation.

I have had a chest X-Ray, a pulmonary function test, and a chest C-T scan. I don't have the results of the c-t, but the other tests show that there are definitely some negative changes in my lungs.

I am really not in the mood to play around with other medications. I want to be OFF the anti-arrythmic drugs, and am willing to try the ablation.

Braveheart,thinking about you and praying as you go
forward with your ablation.

I sure haven't been same since the amiodarone really notice my lungs
are bothering me,not sure whats up with me almost a year since all
my surgery took place,the afibs gone but other things are happening

I too recieved a call from my cardios office to be in edmonton on wed
for another pulmanary and an ultra sound of my heart.
ive had short notice to get over there 5 hr drive and its miserabley
cold here with snow,but its off i go at least ill have results same day
on all tests.

Ill be thinking about you and wishing you all the best...i can understand
your frustration of all the anti fib drugs
keep my fingers crossed for you all goes well...Chin up,know youve too
like many others been struggling with this and isnot fun

Back