Can't seem to keep Inr above 2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I wonder if my explanations are not easily understood, perhaps they are too technical and so you are fuzzing out ... so DachiesMum I'd like to try something different.

DachsieMom;n857021 said:
...made it to 2.3. ... With increased dose, I then went down to 2.2

this sort of thing is totally normal, for instance, this is my chart of my INR so far this year (bottom is week, starting with a few weeks of the year before (to explain why there is a -1 in there)

19985600681_08fa3580ab_b.jpg

you'll see where I've circled that my INR dropped from 3.1 back to 2.3 with no change in dose. If you ask around here many will say that sort of variation is expectable. In fact when I showed my Dr last week he was impressed my INR is that stable. This is because he is looking at the big picture not micro managing reading to reading.

So if your clinic starts adjusting your dose its like giving a tight rope walker a shove because you think he's falling off balance. You may help but equally you may just push him off.

The point is this: now that you are more or less in range its time to back off the adjustments and see where it sits. Clinics are loath to do that (for many and stupid reasons) but if you print this and show it to them they may just let you sit for a bit.

Lastly the variation of 2.3 to 2.2 is so small that its called clinically insignificant. One reason (of many) for this is that reading INR just is not that accurate. There are variables which will be impossible to tune within 0.2 INR variation. This means if you are (according to God) 2.3 then a test could show 2.5 or 2.1

Any clinic which adjusts you on such a small variation is stupid.

Best Wishes

Now I get it! Thanks everyone. When they called, I did ask if I could stay on the same dose for another week but they said no because I still was not in range. I hate these weekly adjustments. Sounds like I need to be more firm!

It has taken me about 6 mo. to get my INR leveled out. I have been in the hospital 2 times due to my ignorance and warfarin. 1 for nosebleeds that would not stop and 1 for subdural hematoma surgery. Like I said they were due to my hard head doing things that I should not have like smoking and dipping snuff, my numbers were all over the place 2.0-7.0. Once I gave up some bad habits my numbers are 3.1 steady. My range is 2.5-3.5. I take 42.5 mg weekly, 5 mg 4 days and 7.5 mg 3 days a week dosage. Hope this might heip.

Latest posts

Back