Can you identify? Part 4

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mntbiker

Change of pace, rather then a picture here is a quote. Probably too easy.

"Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loathe them."

So who said it?

Edgar Allen Poe originally and then quoted by Count Saknussem in "Journey to the Center of the Earth".

Gina, I am going to have to ban you from all future literary questions. :D I thought you would get this one since you got my obscure Shakespeare quote quite a while ago.

Since that was so easy let's try this one:

"Republics decline into democracies which decay into despotism"

Quotes are too easy to cheat on! You just put the first few words in your search engine and BINGO!

Maka has it right.

Lisa, since this is just for fun I would hope no one is using google or other search engine. But I am not terribly upset if they do either.

Sorry Susan, but when you quoted directly from a website it sort of gave it away. ;) :D

all right, I know I said enough quotes but this was always one of my favorites. Should be easy.

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x"? bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez ?tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev alojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Susan BAV said:
:eek: WHOOPS!!! :eek:

David, sorry for the intrusion but I couldn't resist posting this quote.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - hidden source

Susan this struck me funny; I hope it you find it funny as well. ;)

Wise said:
David, sorry for the intrusion but I couldn't resist posting this quote.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - hidden source

Susan this struck me funny; I hope it you find it funny as well. ;)

< ;) whimper, snort :D >

Thought you might enjoy this one also. One of my dearest friends, a Heidelberg native, loves this piece. For optimal pleasure, take a moment to read it out loud:

"The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, 's' will be used instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard 'c' will be replaced with 'k'. Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome 'ph' will be replaced by 'f''. This will make words like 'fotograf' 20 per sent shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go. By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' by 'z' and 'w' by 'v'. During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil b no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru.
"

Back