Can overeating cause a rise in INR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipkid

OK this is weird regarding my INR. Doesn't make much sense to me although I have a guess that might explain it..

Last Saturday June 8th I went out with some relatives to a "world famous" smorgasbord place in Pennsylvania Dutch country (a little east of Lancaster, PA), about 45 mins from here.

I had never heard of the place but it is supposed to be famous, perhaps the biggest smorgasbord in the world (or at least the US) with an incredible array of fresh foods from the area. We went primarily for the beef brisket which is something I love but have not had since my sister cooked it for me about 9 years ago when I was recovering from OHS. Prior to that I've only ever had it when I was young, cooked by my Mom. Cooking it myself has always seemed way too involved/difficult and I've never tried it. And I know of no restaurants that serve it (aside from this one place I was at last weekend).

My cousin & his wife who I went with told me that when they go they eat so much that they do not even need dinner. And to not eat b4 getting there etc. So that is what I did - didn't get there until around 2pm and didn't start feasting until around 2:30. The food there was out of this world, with some main dishes cooked to order right in front of you (or at least sliced for you); fresh brisket (wow!!!!!), roast beef, multiple types of fish, burgers, fried shrimp (amazingly good). Tons of veggies/sides.

I ate like 5-6 platefuls. Felt and looked like Paul Newman (or at least his stomach) in Cool Hand Luke after he ate 50 eggs in one hour (we ate for 2 hours though, didn't finish until about 4:30). As my cousin said I did not need to eat a dinner or anything later. In fact the next day (Sunday) hardly ate anything at all.

I then tested my INR on Monday around dinner time. I did eat a normal lunch on Monday. I had not yet taken my daily dose of warfarin (which I usually take around dinner or after dinner). And my INR was the highest it has been in over a year (3.2). I'm usually around 2 to 2.6 or so. Highest I've been this year was 2.9 in March when I was sick with covid/flu again. Highest I've ever been was around 3 over a year ago when also sick with covid followed by a sinus infection and going on antibiotics.

I've since gone back to normal #s in last test (2.3 yesterday).

Am wondering...

- Can feasting like that raise your INR?

- Or maybe - maybe the meat I ate - totally pigged out on the brisket and sampled like everything else - maybe those cows (or fish or shrimp) were raised on antibiotics. And the antiobiotics survived in their tissue post cooking (is that even possible?). And that is what caused my INR to increase???

Any comments??? I wasn't feeling sick or anything like I did when I had covid...

I'll put my money on something you "pigged out on" increased your INR a little. It may be the food or the seasoning or the amount consumed.......or none of those. Not one of the INR values you list would concern me......just don't eat that much very often.....it will make you fat and that is a bad thing LOL.

Was that the SwedenHaus? Or something more local? Seems like those buffet joints got real popular in the 1980’s and 1990’s. We had one called “The Royal Fork”. So bad but so awesome. Especially as a teenager when we could burn it all off just breathing. Don’t know that I could do them more than once a year though.

I went out with some relatives to a "world famous" smorgasbord place in Pennsylvania Dutch country (a little east of Lancaster, PA)
Was it Shady Maple perhaps?

How much alcohol, if any, did you drink to wash down all that food (however, if it was indeed Shady Maple, they don't have alcohol or allow you to bring it in)?

To confirm it was indeed eating all that food, you might have to go back a few times, eat the same and then retest.

OK this is weird regarding my INR. Doesn't make much sense to me although I have a guess that might explain it..

Last Saturday June 8th I went out with some relatives to a "world famous" smorgasbord place in Pennsylvania Dutch country (a little east of Lancaster, PA), about 45 mins from here.

I had never heard of the place but it is supposed to be famous, perhaps the biggest smorgasbord in the world (or at least the US) with an incredible array of fresh foods from the area. We went primarily for the beef brisket which is something I love but have not had since my sister cooked it for me about 9 years ago when I was recovering from OHS. Prior to that I've only ever had it when I was young, cooked by my Mom. Cooking it myself has always seemed way too involved/difficult and I've never tried it. And I know of no restaurants that serve it (aside from this one place I was at last weekend).

My cousin & his wife who I went with told me that when they go they eat so much that they do not even need dinner. And to not eat b4 getting there etc. So that is what I did - didn't get there until around 2pm and didn't start feasting until around 2:30. The food there was out of this world, with some main dishes cooked to order right in front of you (or at least sliced for you); fresh brisket (wow!!!!!), roast beef, multiple types of fish, burgers, fried shrimp (amazingly good). Tons of veggies/sides.

I ate like 5-6 platefuls. Felt and looked like Paul Newman (or at least his stomach) in Cool Hand Luke after he ate 50 eggs in one hour (we ate for 2 hours though, didn't finish until about 4:30). As my cousin said I did not need to eat a dinner or anything later. In fact the next day (Sunday) hardly ate anything at all.

I then tested my INR on Monday around dinner time. I did eat a normal lunch on Monday. I had not yet taken my daily dose of warfarin (which I usually take around dinner or after dinner). And my INR was the highest it has been in over a year (3.2). I'm usually around 2 to 2.6 or so. Highest I've been this year was 2.9 in March when I was sick with covid/flu again. Highest I've ever been was around 3 over a year ago when also sick with covid followed by a sinus infection and going on antibiotics.

Am wondering...

- Or maybe - maybe the meat I ate - totally pigged out on the brisket and sampled like everything else - maybe those cows (or fish or shrimp) were raised on antibiotics. And the antiobiotics survived in their tissue post cooking (is that even possible?). And that is what caused my INR to increase???

Any comments??? I wasn't feeling sick or anything like I did when I had covid...
Food has nothing to do with INR. Now if you have been sitting around for three weeks and suddenly decided to walk for a week, it will affect your INR. Now medications can affect the INR like antibiotics, or other meds.

Who knows? I don't think INR and food has been tested much. We're all familiar with the misinformation about eating greens. You made several changes to your eating schedule as well as the pig-out menu. Too many variables. Since you're back in range, why be concerned?

I’ve heard the vit K diet and grapefruit can mess with INR. Personally have gorged on pizza and various meals from time to time and only feel it in my belly.
My personal INR target range is 2-3.5 and I move all within that window.

Well, if antibiotics affect INR, then I do have a guess/suspicion about shrimp. Bloomberg ran an article on this topic. I think it's this one. My takeaways from memory:
- The implication is that most of the shrimp volume sold in the USA comes from China.
- The way the shrimp are raised there, in large farms, they are very much polluted with antibiotics.
- It's hard to stop this business, since the supply chain runs through shady company, which are skilled at relabeling themselves. And relabeling the source of origin through 3rd countries.

These are indications for the US. There are usual caveats - the journalistic findings are not a "proof", and the article already seems to be dates. So YMMV. I just stopped eating the shrimp.

Hope other countries have it better.

You say Cool Hand Luke. Years ago there was a thing regarding the effect of a smile. To demonstrate, they used the famous Farah Fawcett red swimsuit poster covering and exposing her smile. Cool Hand Luke almost always had that grin. Paul Newman was a work of art. Cool Hand Luke may be his greatest performance but I am partial to The Verdict. The Verdict was the swan song of Paul Newman's heart and soul. He should have received an Oscar that year. It is a tragedy that they attempted to make up for it by giving it to him for The Color of Money. By then his heart and soul was no longer in it. There is a point where the subconscious cannot distinguish between physical reality, memory and imagination. Before drawing conclusions, scientific studies of the effect of a smile on INR are in order. That and smorgasbords which offer hard boiled eggs......cannot say I recall ever seeing them. Also cannot say I would choose hard boiled eggs given typical offerings at a smorgasbord, fried chicken is my go to.

:)

Last edited:

Am wondering...

Since they don't really know why INRs fluctuate, (unless you skipped a dose, threw up, or ate a bushel of greens) it's best not to draw causal relationships when your INR changes. Your INR change and heavy eating could just be coincidence.

Was it Shady Maple perhaps?

How much alcohol, if any, did you drink to wash down all that food (however, if it was indeed Shady Maple, they don't have alcohol or allow you to bring it in)?

To confirm it was indeed eating all that food, you might have to go back a few times, eat the same and then retest.

Yes, bingo, was Shady Maple's smorgasboard place.

https://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord/
No alcohol for me that day. Haven't had a drink in over 20 years.

two questions
  1. how often do you measure your INR
  2. do you have stats on your data
I'm going to second this

Test weekly or thereabouts. Go through stretches where don't test that often (my Dr only wanted me testing every 2 or 3 weeks btw) but sometimes test more frequently if going out of range & making adjustments.

Yes I write down all my self test results.

For 2023 went like this:
------------------------------
1/12 - 2.4
1/21 - 2.1
2/10 - 2.2
2/20 - 2.3
3/5 - 2.3
3/15 - 2.9
3/22 - 2.2
4/3 - 2.2
4/12 - 2.2
4/26 - 2.3
5/10 - 2.0
5/24 - 2.4
6/14 - 2.6
6/20 - 2.4
7/3 - 2.6
7/10 - 3.2
7/14 - 2.3

Was that the SwedenHaus? Or something more local? Seems like those buffet joints got real popular in the 1980’s and 1990’s. We had one called “The Royal Fork”. So bad but so awesome. Especially as a teenager when we could burn it all off just breathing. Don’t know that I could do them more than once a year though.

It was this place, near Lancaster, PA.

https://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord/

Back