Can cholesterol lowering drugs delay aortic calcification in a biological valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading that warfarin usage has been linked to arterial calcification (atherosclerosis) and valve calcification. My dad has had 2 heart bypass surgeries so I assume I may have inherited a tendency to collect plaque in my arteries but I don't know if that always leads to calcification. I have read that mitral annular calcification is associated with atherosclerosis and my last echo noted mitral annular calcification (different than mitral valve calcification). My tissue aortic valve replacement is 10 years old and my last echo showed some signs of stenosis. I'm getting lost in my point here but if I have a tendency towards calcification, would warfarin make that tendency worse? The last time I had to have a valve replacement, I didn't have much time to think about my options. If I have to have another replacement sometime soon, I'd like to be more prepared this time and have a sense of what type of valve would be best for me and my situation.

Nocturne;n866340 said:
Speaking of educating ourselves... This isn't a statin, but it does seem to be a drug that halts or even reverses aortic stenosis in mice:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130718101242.htm

My guess it that they'll finish all the required testing and find some way to mass produce the drug for public consumption JUST about the time it's too late for it to do me any good.

That's a glass half empty way of looking at it.

cldlhd;n866362 said:
That's a glass half empty way of looking at it.

The nice thing about being a pessimist is that sometimes, the world gets irritated enough with you that it goes out of its way just to prove you wrong.

Nocturne;n866368 said:
The nice thing about being a pessimist is that sometimes, the world gets irritated enough with you that it goes out of its way just to prove you wrong.

very true ... and one is less prone to being disappointed because one expected the worst.

Seldom however do I meet a happy pessimist.

Nocturne;n866368 said:
Don't sweat it. I bet I'm more annoying than you are. Especially, now that I have a new weapon. I'm developing an interest in Opera... front row seats.

:Cry:

Back