Calling in results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pat Hicks

I was trained on my new QA device a couple of weeks ago. Last week when I did the test for the first time I called the telephone number given to me and entered my Social Security number. It wouldn't take it. The written material also stated I was to call in results ONCE A WEEK. When I called the company they said since I am not on Medicare, I can't call in results to them, but rather I should call my doctor's office. When I called my doctor's office and spoke with the PT nurse she said she thought I was to call it in to the company. Why can't I call the company to report my INR (it would be so much simpler for me and the PT nurse) and does anybody know why they require the test be done once a week? Seems to me it might just be a way for me to use up the supplies faster so they can sell me more. If it sounds like I'm frustrated, you're right, I am.

Pat:
When I began testing, I tried calling in the results, too. Was told to just call my PCP.
My PCP's office preferred that I call results in directly to his office, rather than another party. Made sense to me -- cut out the middleman.

I no longer call results in to my PCP. I log them in booklets he gives me, then take booklet in every so often for them to photocopy. I adjust my dosage now, thanks to Al Lodwick's chart (available for purchase at www.warfarinfo.com). My PCP has quite a few patients on Coumadin, so he has a CoaguCheck and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable about managing warfarin. Only 2 other patients in his practice do home-testing.

Testing once a week gives you a better heads-up in case you go too high or too low.

I was wondering about this too. When one goes in to the clinic for a test there is a charge (mine is about $35 for finger stick and consult) - if one tests at home and calls in the result to the doctor/nurse - do they make a consult charge?

I'm sure QAS will have a better answer, but, perhaps this will help until they respond. If you obtain an anticoagulation machine, such as the ProTime or the Coaguchek, either by paying for it yourself or by having your insurance pay, you own that machine. If you get the monitor through Medicare, you do not own that machine and Medicare rules apply......and there are many.
Medicare REQUIRES that you test once a week and report results to a specified provider. QAS MIGHT be that provider.

It's rather like the difference between owning and renting. If you need Bridal wear, you can get it from Sears. You can choose to buy or rent the necessary underwear. Personally, I would rather own my own underwear (oops!) anticoagulation machine.

Albert has had a ProTime machine since 2001, before Medicare coverage began. He tests every week, not because we wish to use supplies which we pay for 100% out of our pocket, but because he had a stroke which even the doctors now say might have been prevented if he had tested more frequently than once a month. Al has chosen not to go with Medicare, although their coverage is generous, because he would prefer to have his INR monitored by his physician, rather than the voice of an unknown person over the phone. Frankly, without apology, I call that "medical care" by a ghost in a machine."

Regards, Blanche

JimChicago said:
I was wondering about this too. When one goes in to the clinic for a test there is a charge (mine is about $35 for finger stick and consult) - if one tests at home and calls in the result to the doctor/nurse - do they make a consult charge?

My PCP does not charge me -- he just wants to keep tabs on what my INR is.
I've been going to him for about 20 years.

Pat

Pat

Hello,

Medicare's coverage policy states that one must test every week, and report those results to and IDTF (independent diagnostic testing facility). QAS, get's the results from each patient and if someone is out of range, the physician receives the results in minutes. Medicare does require weekly testing because their studies showed a great reduction in hospitalizations and complications resulting from out of range results. If you are not on Medicare's program, it us between you and your physician on how to report the results. We would be glad to service your calls and report them on your behalf, so call me if you wish to pursue that option. Thanks,

Lance, QAS
800-298-4515 ext 2865

My cardio is the one who signed for me to get a home tester.....He knew that Hubby and I are retired..and wanted to enjoy the good years of traveling, ect. :) I call his nurse once a month..she returns calls the SAME day...Never NO charge...Even, tho, I will be 3 years the 25th of this month..VR.surgery..He still likes to see me every 6 months... :) No problems..Just a nice 5 minute chat...Bonnie

Latest posts

Back