calcium supplements

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bethanne

I have discovered that by taking calcium/mineral supplements at night help me get a better night's sleep...
I was wondering if this was a psychological thing or have any of you heard of that?

also, I was wondering sense calcification is a concern for valve patients does increasing your calcium intake raise your risks? I would like to learn more about "calcification and vegetation of the valves" any suggestions?

thanks, beth

Hi Beth,

I too wondered the same thing. I asked my cardiologist and she said not to worry. She dosn't think taking supplements adds to calcification of the valve.

I also take my calcium at night (I can't get my act together to remember to take it during the day). I have always slept great at night so I haven't noticed any difference that way.

Heather

Beth,
When I came off hormore replacement therapy a couple of years ago, my ob/gyn put me on Fosamax and Viactiv (calcium supplement) to protect my bones. Having the same concerns as you, I asked my cardio if this kind of calcium could add to the calcification of my valve. She said the two were not related at all and to take my supplements and Fosamax.
Sue

I have read that it is important to have a good calcium to magnesium balance. I also read somewhere that some believe magnesium supplementation can minimize calcification problems. It is something I want to research more as the problem with my valves was calcification.

The only negative thing I've heard about calcium is that it can decrease absorption of medcines so some recommend taking it at least 2 hours after or 1 hour before taking medicines.

I also asked my doctors this question because I know osteoporosis runs in the family and I wanted to start taking a calcium supplement. My cardiologist told me to go ahead that the two weren't related, but my surgeon said to not take any extra supplements because studies showed that they were related. So, I don't know who to believe.

HI EVERYONE

HI EVERYONE

GOOD QUESTIONS, I THINK WE ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH ON THIS ONE.

I ALSO TAKE A CALCIUM/MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENT, 'CAUSE THERE IS A HISTORY OF OSTEOPROSIS, BUT I'D STOP IT IN A MINUTE IF I KNEW IT COULD CAUSED PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW VALVE.

THIS MIGHT BE A CASE OF D#$ED IF YOU DO AND D#&ED IF YOU DON'T.

TERRY40

I was told by my cardiologist to begin taking calcium suppliments. (She's a DO and always does a quick once over of my general health and those needs). She, too, said that it was a different type of calcium that the channel blockers target and not to worry. I believe magnesium helps in the absorption of calcium, which is why they are often packaged together. I heard that a 2 to 1 ratio (calcium to magnesium) is recommended.

I have discovered that by taking calcium/mineral supplements at night help me get a better night's sleep...
I was wondering if this was a psychological thing or have any of you heard of that?
Hi Beth,

I've suffered chronic insomnia pretty much all my life and have had countless conversations about this with my fellow night-owls. Many people find a warm glass of milk before bed helps them, which is probably due to the calcium. Personally it didn't do much for me, however, I found magnesium really helped keep me from waking up so much during the night (from 8+ times to 2-3). B6 is also supposed to be helpful, as it has a "calming" effect on the nervous sytem, but taking too much can also be toxic.

As far as the effect of calcium on valves, I don't have anything to add, but it's certainly an interesting question.

Cheers
Anna : )

Back