busy day-rehab, lunch, pulmonary appt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

I went to rehab this morning as usual about 10:15. My blood pressure was high which has not been a problem. In fact it has been running low. I realized that I had not taken my beta blocker or ace inhibitor. I have not forgot my meds in a long time. I have been on the beta blocker for a couple of years because my heart rate was running high because my right ventricle was so enlarged. I did my exercise routine as planned. It was much more difficult then usual. I had to quit before I finished the bicycle. I was so tired and out of breath. The staff knew I had forgotten my meds and said they would watch me closer. Before I left I asked how high my peak heart rate had been. They told me 137 on the arm bicycle and the stationary bicycle. That was above my target heart rate. I would have thought they would have slowed me down. I was surprised I got so out of breath because before the beta blockers I had never gotten that out of breath while exercising. My VO2 only went up slightly after I was put on the beta blockers.

I then had lunch with a friend I had not seen since surgery. Yeah!!!!

I then went to see the pulmonary doc. I was diagnosed with cough variant asthma a couple months before surgery. Since surgery my cough is almost gone. One of the nurses in Boston and the pulmonary doc said something about my pulmonary artery causing the cough. My question is do I really have cough variant asthma if the pulmonary artery was causing the problem. My lung function studies do show mild obstructive disease, but it does not improve with albuterol. I also have problems with bronchitis in the winter and spring particularly in April. I did ask him if I could decrease my asmanex dose from 220 2 puffs twice a day. He agreed 220 1 puff twice a day. He was able to get out of the room before I could ask all the questions. At least he agreed without difficulty to do a sleep study when i told him Boston wanted me to have one. I will see him again in 3 months with a spirometry. I will try to ask him the rest of the questions then if not before.

I feel much better now that I have had my meds.

Debbie

Rehab Stuff

Rehab Stuff

Yeah, a good dose of beta blocker does tend to cap your heart rate. I noticed that when I was doing rehab and taking beta blockers. It sure is easy to jump your heart rate up if you don't take your meds.

Sounds like the folks running your program need to watch those monitors more closely.

-Philip

before my surgery i was on beta blocker and ace inhibitor.i couldnt get my heart up high enough for the stress test.my cardio said beta blockers
are like a govenor on a car engine.it wont let your heart rate get very high.

Latest posts

Back