Bridge comadin for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt C

Christ Hospital Oak Lawn IL Dr. Papps Dr. Brestic
Well today is a year since I had my ticker fixed with a clicker I have to have a 2 stage hernia repair thats been bothering me. Is the bridge easy 2 shots lovanox a day weight and height diciticate I think they said but want some feedback of those that have done it thanks.

Hello MattC,

I had to bridge for 2 different surgeries within my first year after having had my native valve replaced with a mechanical one.

The bridging is not a big problem, but you do have to give yourself the injections in the stomach. Frankly, I never thought I would be able to give myself an injection, but when it needed to be done, I was able to do it. Yes, the amount of Lovenox in each shot is prescribed based on your weight. I forget the formula, it's something like 1 mg Lovenox per kilogram of body weight, but someone else, including your doctor, will undoubtedly have that.
The Lovenox is quite expensive, so hopefully your insurance will cover it.
Each doctor may have a slightly different protocol, but in my case, the warfarin was stopped 5 days before the surgery. The Lovenox was started 3 or 4 days before the surgery and not taken the morning of the surgery.
After the surgeries, I kept doing the Lovenox injections twice a day until my INR got up to 2.0 from the resumed warfarin. For me it took well over a week to get my INR back up, but your results may vary.
I got some slight bruising at the injecction sites, but not too much. I also found that pushing the plunger slowly minimized the slight burning as the Lovenox entered.

Yes, the dosage is 1mg/kg body weight for a mechanical valver.
I found that if you lay flat, and stay that way for 15 or 20 minutes after each injection, you minimize the bruising. Also, do not PINCH the tummy. Instead, spread the area flat between fingers of non-dominant hand, and inject in stretched area.
Also injections start when your INR drops below 2.0, last dose approx 16 hours prior to surgery (more than 12 is recommended!)
It's easier if you have a home monitor, 'cause you can take your INR daily once you start withholding. It ususally takes me 3 full days to drop below 2.0

Although I agree with Laurie's (AgilityDog) recommendation to lie flat, or at least extremely stretched out on a recliner, the instructions I was given by the nurses, and also the instructions from the Lovenox manufacturer, stressed that it was extremely important to pinch the skin (actually more a broad bunching of the skin) to build up a thick mass of skin and fat into which to inject the Lovenox. They made it very clear that it was important _NOT_ to inject the Lovenox into the muscles of the abdoman, as this could cause complications. Spreading the skin flat rather than pinching it would seem to increase the risk that the needle would penetrate into the muscle rather than staying within the skin and fat as desired.
I would recommend you ask your doctor or nurses about the proper method of giving yourself the injection, specifically regarding the necessity of bunching up the skin at the injection site before inserting the needle.

I've had to do a Lovenox bridge three times for colonoscopies. Was a little apprehensive injecting myself the first time, but it became second nature very quickly. Now it's no big deal.
My insurance covered the cost, but the most aggravating thing was that the pre-loaded syringes came packaged in boxes that had more than I needed and my pharmacy wouldn't sell me individual syringes. Since they have an expiration date, I couldn't just keep the extras for the next time, whenever that might be. I ended up donating the extras to my Coumadin clinic - I found out that they distribute extras to folks who don't have insurance and/or can't afford them.
Mark

Newmitral, you must be skinny! Even at 132 lbs and 5'7" the last time I bridged, I still had PLENTY of flab around my navel into which to inject. The needle's not that big, and i'm not trying to bury the thing!
Pinching leaves big bruises on me.

Mark, I keep the extras in case I dip below 2.0 for some inexplicable reason (I tend to have seasonal shifts in my INR, so it HAS happened, and I have a standing Rx at the pharmacy just in case).

Hi Laurie,

Well, at the time I had the valve replaced I was extremely emaciated, having lost more than 55 lbs as a result of the endocarditis that necessitated the valve replacement in the first place. Over the intervening 17 months I have put back the lost weight and, sadly, a bit more, now having about 10 pounds of excess blubber that I could stand to lose.
However, I did want to point out to MattC and others that the official recommendation from the Lovenox manufacturer is:
1. Keep the injection site at least 2 inches away from your belly button.
2. Pinch the site to create the fold of skin/fat for the injection.

See the website of the Lovenox manufacturer for proper injection technique at:
http://www.lovenox.com/consumer/prescribed-lovenox/self-inject/inject-lovenox.aspx

In the "Do's and Dont's" section they specifically say:
2. Do be sure to hold the fold of skin on your abdomen until you are finished giving the injection. This ensures that the medicine enters only the fatty tissue and not the muscle.

You can watch the slideshow or download the instructions as a pdf.

Not trying to be argumentative, just wanted to urge caution when deviating from the drug manufacturer's explicit instructions. My own doctor's/nurse's instructions echoed those of the manufacturer. Your own mileage may vary.

One quick thing, too, is that the injections are not 'into the stomach.' They're lower abdomen, where most of us can find enough flesh to pinch and create a target for the Lovenox.

I've only bridged once in my life - and that may not be actual bridging - after having a TIA (the doctors called it a stroke), because my meter said 2.6, but the labs were actually around 1.7. My INR was too low for too long and I sort of paid for it.

That said -- for a couple days under 2.0, I still wouldn't bridge -- I'd just increase my warfarin dose and check again in a day or two (and more) to be sure that my INR was back in the comfort zone.

Thanks guys this is absurd a two stage surgery 14 to 21 days apart they want you to stop comadin 5 days prior. So lovenox for like 25 possiably 30 days expensive stuff. What a pain in rear. I have a call into cardilogists nurse that manages my comadin anyone have to take lovenox this long? Hopefully it is safe lol...

Thanks guys this is absurd a two stage surgery 14 to 21 days apart they want you to stop comadin 5 days prior. So lovenox for like 25 possiably 30 days expensive stuff. What a pain in rear. I have a call into cardilogists nurse that manages my comadin anyone have to take lovenox this long? Hopefully it is safe lol...

Sorry to hear that must be a pain anyway as for is it safe..Pregnant women with mech valves usually take Lovenox for months at a time if that helps at all..AS for the cost, if it still is expensive even with insurance you can try to get the generic lovenox it is supposed to be quite a bit less I believe..Good luck with everything

Thanks for all the replies...

I have my dosing day before surgery on injection 9am day of surgery no shots and day after none.. If this is a 12 hour lifespan drug. How am I protected day of surgery and day after?

Sorry my first surgery on a mechanical valve and since its a two stage surgery it is a little complicated.

Hi MattC,

Anyone know about holding lovenox day of and after? How would you be protected ?

The short answer is:
You're not, but intentionally so.

The longer answer is that your surgeon is balancing the risk of bleeding from the incisions associated with your surgery against the risk of an adverse thromboembolism forming on the artificial heart valve in the one or two days you are not anti-coagulated. The first thing to understand is that falling below the target INR range does NOT mean that a clot is guaranteed to form immediately. Rather, if you never used any anticoagulants at all, and your INR was always 1.0, you have about a 10% risk per year of having a clot/stroke. That's only 10% per year, not 100% happening immediately. So, a 10% risk of stroke per year for you being without ACT translates simplisticly to (10%/365) = 0.0274% or less than three hundredths of a percent per day that you go uncoagulated. The actual probability is slightly higher per day (0.029%) if you do the calculation more rigorously.
The surgeon is balancing that very small risk against the undoubtedly larger risk of complications from the surgery if your body is not allowed to clot normally for those one or two days while you heal from the incisions of your surgery.

These numbers are approximate, and the more accurate numbers would depend to a large degree on the specific valve design you have (ball & cage, tilting disk, bileaflet) and also the position (mitral, aortic), but the principle is the same.

For more info, I recommend the paper:
OPTIMAL ORAL ANTICOAGULANT THERAPY IN PATIENTS WITH MECHANICAL HEART VALVES
which you can download from
http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM199507063330103

It is also important to note that even with optimal anticoagulation, your risk of stroke is not zero, but is reduced from about 10% to about 1% or 2% per year. A significant reduction to be sure, and a strong reason to stick with the anticoagulation regimen, but still not an absolute guarantee against stroke. Even in the general population with no heart problems and native valves, people still have strokes. All you can do is minimize the risks, you can't eliminate them entirely.

Nothing is a guarantee, and it's all about managing the risks to your best advantage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so during the days of no protection the chances are that slim basically.

Yes, the odds are in that range.

There are many people who mistakenly believe that a dip below their target INR will guarantee an immediate (or at least a fairly quick) stroke.
I have researched this topic extensively in the 18 months or so since I had my mitral valve replaced, and the reputable scholarly studies I could find simply do not bear this out.

The 10% per year risk in the absence of any anticoagulation therapy (ACT) that I quoted came from this article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oral anticoagulant treatment in patients with mechanical heart valves: how to reduce the risk of thromboembolic and bleeding complications.
Cannegieter SC, Torn M, Rosendaal FR.

Journal of Internal Medicine, 1999 Apr

The risk of thrombus formation on the valve and subsequent
embolism without any antithrombotic treatment
averages about 10% per year

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The paper I referenced previously in the earlier post, and the ones referenced below are in that same ballpark range. If you search the literature, you will find risk values which vary over the years, mainly as valve design has improved.
But, to give a few references:

----------------------------------------------------

1. PROSTHETIC HEART VALVES

The New England Journal of Medicine
Volume 335 Number 6 1996

WANPEN VONGPATANASIN , M.D.,
L. DAVID HILLIS, M.D.,
AND
RICHARD A. LANGE, M.D.

In patients with mechanical valves, the incidence
of major embolization (resulting in death or a persistent
neurologic deficit) is roughly 4 percent per
patient-year in the absence of antithrombotic therapy
2 percent per patient-year with antiplatelet therapy,
and 1 percent per patient-year with warfarin
therapy
, with the majority of embolizations manifesting
as cerebrovascular events.
The risk of embolization is increased with mitral-valve prostheses,
caged-ball valves, and multiple prosthetic valves.

--------------------------------------------------------
2. Caring for patients
with prosthetic heart valves

CLEVELAND CLINIC JOURNAL OF MEDICINE VOLUME 69 • NUMBER 1 JANUARY 2002

Patients with mechanical valves are routinely treated with
anticoagulants because without this therapy,
they have a lifetime risk of thromboembolism
that may be as high as 34%

[my note: at 10% per year, a lifetime risk of 34% equates to an average patient lifetime of about 4 years post valve implantation. At an assumed 4% per year risk, it equates to a 10 year post-valve implantation lifetime.]

---------------------------------------------------------
3. Oral anticoagulant therapy in patients with mechanical heart valve
and intracranial haemorrhage

In the absence of antithrombotic treatment,
patients with mechanical heart valves are exposed to a
very high thromboembolic risk: the cumulative incidence of
valve thrombosis
, major and minor embolism in patients with a
bileaflet valve ranges between 8.6 and 22% per year

----------------------------------------------------------
4. Thromboembolic and Bleeding Complications
in Patients With Mechanical Heart Valve Prostheses

S C Cannegieter, F R Rosendaal and E Briët

Circulation Vol 89, No 2 February 1994

We found an incidence of major embolism in the absence of antithrombotic therapy of 4 per
100 patient-years
. With antiplatelet therapy this risk was 2.2
per 100 patient-years, and with cumarin therapy it was reduced
to 1 per 100 patient-years
. This risk varied with the type and
the site of the prosthesis. A prosthesis in mitral position
increased the risk almost twice as compared with the aortic
position. Tilting disc valves and bileaflet valves showed a lower
incidence of major embolism than caged ball valves.

----------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to add links and possibly more references if time and the impending hurricane permit.

Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor, and I'm not offering medical advice, but, my personal research on the topic indicated that while the ACT is important to reduce the risk of stroke, which would otherwise have a higher risk of occurrence at lower INR values, you are not guaranteed certain death or stroke immediately upon going below your target INR range. Neither are you guaranteed absolute freedom from stroke if you stay within your INR range.

Of course, this is of little consolation if you happen to be among the 2 or 3 percent who do have a stroke when you get below target INR for a short while, but many of those might have equally been among the unfortunate few who would have had the same stroke had they been optimally anti-coagulated.

Thanks stay safe during storm I am actually traveling to Clevland for my surgery first one is Wednesday. From my Understanding comadin would last 3 to 5 days and have yoir INR up but lovebox 12 hours. Haha I know I sound paranoid I thought Lovenox thins in a different way and wont last over 12 hours at all. I trust my cardiologist and nurse said the way they did it was by the textbook guess I have to trust them.

Back