Breathing problem

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star54

Is it normal to get out of breathe easily? It sometimes happens when I walk,from room to room, or take a shower, I feel like 109, I have stayed in AC (I now have COPD),,,when I walk outside it is really bad. (Humidity).I am still using the spiromater they gave me, but it gets hard when I try to force myself..I am 2 weeks out of 5cm aneurysm surgery...This really just started happening, or maybe I was too much in pain to notice....

Linda

For a few weeks, or even months, it is fairly normal to have some SOB after surgery. If it appears to be getting worse, or even not getting better, you should call your Cardiologist to get their opinion.

The heat and humidity were very hard for me until just recently and my surgery was almost 6 weeks ago. I was very anemic and that may have been part of the problem but I avoided walking outside for those first few weeks especially in the heat. I did lots of laps around the house and at 2 weeks I can even rememeber getting sob in the air conditioning. You are still healing so take it easy.

Yes, it is normal, especially in humid weather. I felt like that and I live in Arizona!

Here is a breathing exercise that may help you more than the spirometer. My Dad teaches this exercise to his patients.

Exhale all the air you can from your lungs. Concentrate on pushing it out from every "corner" of your lungs.

As soon as all the air is out, inhale with an open mouth. It may feel like the air is rushing in and bouncing from the bottom of your lungs upwards, like jumping on a trampoline. That's good! Be sure you fill all of your lungs, bottom, middle and top. Concentrate on filling your whole chest.

(Yes, I know that most people say "concentrate on the poor, neglected diaphragm area." But after surgery people skip their chests because it hurts.)

Hold that breath for as many slow counts as you can do. Then exhale and start again. Repeat five times. Then do the five times many times a day.

Thanks all I will certainly do those excercises! In the hospital they said I was anemic,pre-diabetic,vitamin D difficient..this was wierd to me as I am a tanner, eat every green vegetable to excess, and yes diabetes is in the family but I get checked every year. I had been on a diet (off red meat for a month). so, now I am on enough meds to have my own pharmacy at least for a month. But, no complaints just questions....Thank God I am alive, as my aneurysym started to dissect (they said)...I'm a lucky gal!

Hi Linda, I'm 6 weeks today and have had my lungs tapped twice due to excess fluids around them which made me very short of breath. When was your last chest xray? You could be building fluids also. I had my left lung drained on Tuesday and I'm still having difficulty breathing but it has gotten slightly better. I am definitely going to do the breathing exercise Ponygirl has given because the spirometer just seems to be getting harder. I too have been told I now have COPD. Really annoys me since my lungs were good before my double surgeries and I know what you say about feeling 109! I'm with you. We just have to stay positive and believe that we'll be normal before we know it. My doctor told me this week that he thinks I'll be better in about 3 weeks. I know he was just trying to get me out of my funk but hey, I'll believe him for now :)

Hang in there and you can complain to me any time you want since our surgeries were so close. A year from now we'll be smiling!

Hi Laura, I had a fever the other night, so I took car service to Mt. Sinai, they gave me an echo, chest x-ray,ct scan,and all other imaginable tests. They said my lungs are fine, I think that since I wiened myself off the percocet, to only one before bed, that I did not realize that I was breathing heavy. I am waiting for my portable nebulizer to come to treat the COPD, along with the excercises that Ponygirl posted. A 90 year old could do better. I can't wait for us both to be better....I have vacations to book! (I had a goal of returning to work Oct 1, we will see,,,I may go to a spa in Arizona first. Now if I could just breathe...
Take care..you are in my thoughts..
Linda

How true! We both need vacations now. A spa sounds really good since we can't really be in the sun for a few months. Glad Mt. Sinai gave you the workup so at least you know it's just a matter of recuperation. A pulmonary doctor in the hospital sent me home with Advair. I used it for about two weeks but really didn't notice any improvement in my lungs. Then I filled the prescription and Horizon Blue Cross wouldn't pay for it since it's not available in generic. It cost something near $200 for one month so I told my cardiologist I'm not using it. I can see if I noticed any improvement in my breathing but I didn't. I read the side effects and one of them is heart disease. Unreal..... just what we need, right. LOL.

In the hospital they said I was anemic,pre-diabetic

My doctors told me it is common for people to be diabetic for a little while after the surgery due to the shock to the body. All is well now, but I had several insulin shots in the hospital, and had to take Januvia (sp?) for a few weeks. Never had any trace of diabetes in my life.

Back