Brand new member needing help

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't let the depression get the best of youl. Call your doctors and talk with them.

You can not believe what a wus I was as I first confronted all the stuff about my heart and surgery.

I can only tell you that the anxiety and waiting were far more difficult than the surgery and recovery. Some have a very tough time but the majority here get through. And many find it easier than they ever expected. I had conventional surgery in a small but very caring hospital. A great young surgeon and team.

I obsessed to my surgeon about not having time to lose my extra weight, etc. His words brought me up short " Look let's just play the hand we are dealt and not waste time on the what might haves and what ifs" He was absolutely right. By all means try to quit smoking and try walking. But, you are right just go forward one day at a time. The grandchildren should make it easier.

Take care,

Hooah

Hooah back atcha Bill

Hooah back atcha Bill

You made me smile.
False
Event
Appearing
Real

You are so correct we tend to make things worse in our head than what really happens.

I am going to call and make my appt now.

Thanks

Hi Maj Kathy-

I just wanted to remind you that there are people with all kinds of valve and heart problems on this site. Not everyone has major happenings with their surgeries. The vast majority of people have a normal surgery with a normal recovery and go on with their lives, changed a little, but for the better for sure.

This surgery is done to save lives. Years ago, when folks had these problems, they didn't live. But now, there are ways to fix things. The surgeons are in and out of people's hearts like a "jack rabbit" LOL. Everything you might have in there, they've probably seen before and know how to handle it. If you do something all day, every day, you know the task exceedingly well. I think you will find your surgeon to be calm, cool and collected, while we as the patient and their families are sitting there with our teeth chattering. The reason they're so calm is because they know they can do the job.

It's important for you to study about your condition, even if it makes you nervous at first. The more you learn, the more you realize that there are answers for about 99% of heart problems. Some of the answers might be hard to do, but they are doable, either with meds or with surgery.

My husband has been through a ton of horrible things, and there are others on this site who can match him. The importance of reading posts about the major problems is that it makes you realize that your body is miraculous and can heal from almost everything. It's truly amazing. But don't, for a minute think that these bad problems will happen to you. Most of these bad things happen after many years of quite severe illness.

You'll be just fine. You're in otherwise good health, and I'm sure in good condition. You'll be a winner. Hang in there with us, we'll get you through.

Thanks Nancy and all

Thanks Nancy and all

I finally got the courage to call the law firm to double check the 81 EF rating. They said that was correct. So thanks

I also called my regular Dr and have an appt Monday to get medication to help stop smoking and find out why my arms are asleep every morning I wake up.

Today I will call and make my Cardio Appt.

Thanks so much for all the support.

Maj Kathy:

Read your posts over the past few days, and just want to add my short words of encouragement.

I might suggest, that on Monday when speaking to your PCP, you should mention the depression. Heart patients often experience depression, and there are many on this board who have been on meds to help them out. Do a search under the words "depression" and I think you might find a lot of posts. It is a symptom of heart problems, as is anxiety.

Wishing you the very best. - Marybeth

Thanks Marybeth

Thanks Marybeth

Funny you mention that. LOL my PCP has known I have depression for years and years. I also have been on depression meds for years.

I have been reading and was really surprised to find out the link between heart disease and depression.

Also what is INR?

maj kathy

maj kathy

I have been reading your posts over the last few days and I also wanted to give my 2 cents worth. I have had 4 open heart surgeries and believe me the waiting is the hardest part. I had easy times and hard times with my surgeries. I came through 3 of them with flying colors. One was a little more difficult. But in the end I made it through. The way medicine is today, they will make sure you have as little pain as possible. The success rate is unbelievable. You have to find a surgeon and a hospital that you have faith in. The recovery isn't as bad as you would think. I think what amazed me more than anything, and still amazes me, is the cardiac ICU. They are so skilled. They take care of patients. Put tubes in and take them out. Check stats ecc. ecc. ecc. All while trying to ease the fears of very scared family members. The depression you have is completely understandable. Whenever there is a physical health risk it is bound to become emotional. Knowledge is the best way to combat it. You are more afraid of the unknown. So get as much info as you can. This sight is a great place for that. Take care, Peggy

Kathy,

I'm also new member here. What a beautiful site. right?

As for possible surgery - they will test your heart right after
the surgery, then they will insert electric wires to help it to
work for a couple of days, they will monitor it all the time
while you are staying in the hospital and they won't let you
go home if something is wrong.

Just a couple of thoughts that calmed me down

Good luck,
Alex

best sight ever

best sight ever

thanks peg and alex

I do feel much better the more I learn and knowing I will be getting a little money also helps.

Don't know how much or when but it will help getting something from the phen fen law suit.

maj kathy

hi, just thought I would tell my story about overcoming the smoking habit. I told myself that I would allow myself to do anything I wanted to do EXCEPT SMOKE. I was a pack a day- 30 yr. smoker. (16 yrs. ago )
I started by buying 10 packs of cinnamin chewing gum and 5 different bags of hard candy.
In two weeks I had put on 5 lbs. , BUT said to myself I DON'T CARE IF I WEIGH 500 LBS. At least I'll be a 500 lb. non-smoker:D
Just a tidbit for you-- hang in there and smile-- you are special!

great ideas

great ideas

this hand to mouth thingie is going to be the hardest to break. That is why I think I may try the Nicotrol inhalers if the Doc allows it.

and lollypops, pretzels, carrots, lots of water

Back