body changes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikiVix

Hi everyone
After having surgery, I have had two strange things occur. One is that my nose is constantly dripping and the other is a dry patch on my scalp at the top front of my hairline. Anyone had this happen?
Viki

yes..had the dry scalp patch..Thought it was a shampoo buildup, ect...went to Derm..afraid it was a mole, ect..he just scraped it off...:D ......Bonnie

Granbonny said:
yes..had the dry scalp patch..Thought it was a shampoo buildup, ect...went to Derm..afraid it was a mole, ect..he just scraped it off...:D ......Bonnie

You mean I can get my scalp scraped in Georgia??????:D :D :D

Sorry, I have not had these problems so I can't be of much help.

Tom

Nope. Never had those issues.

Although I did have a million, minnie, tiny pimples form around my forehead and shoulders...

That lasted for about one month post-op.

Were you put on a beta blocker after surgery, which you had not previously been on? Atenolol, and possibly other beta blockers, can cause autoimmune responses in some people.

Best wishes,

VikiVix - How long has it been since your surgery? Maybe you picked up some kind of fungus in the hospital, which is certainly not unheard of, accounting for the dry patch, in which case a shampoo like Selsun Blue or Head & Shoulders might help. If that doesn't work, a Derm could probably prescribe something. The drippy nose could just be a sign that your body is not quite healed yet. Hospitals have lots of germs floating through the air and people sometimes come away with things they didn't go in with.

Neither of these things happened to me, but I did have a friend who went in for a minor surgical procedure and came away with a major Staph infection.

scalp issues

scalp issues

First a disclaimer -- I don't color my hair so I don't know if the following is safe on colored hair:

An excellent rinse for hair following shampooing is distilled white vinegar and water. One part vinegar to about two parts water and KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED and dribble it on your head and hair and thoroughly massage it on your scalp and in your hair and be sure you still KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED and let it be for a minute or two and rinse thoroughly. Your scalp will be much healthier and your hair will be very soft and shiney. You can use it once a week or once a month and you'll probably see immediate positive results. This can end dandruff and other itchy head issues.

Leftover beer, definitely room temperature, also makes a very nice hair rinse.

Susan BAV said:
First a disclaimer -- I don't color my hair so I don't know if the following is safe on colored hair:

An excellent rinse for hair following shampooing is distilled white vinegar and water. One part vinegar to about two parts water and KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED and dribble it on your head and hair and thoroughly massage it on your scalp and in your hair and be sure you still KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED and let it be for a minute or two and rinse thoroughly. Your scalp will be much healthier and your hair will be very soft and shiney.

I have a book "100 Plus uses For Vinegar" It is amazing what people use it for.

If you use it as a rinse doesn't your head smell like an Easter Egg??:p :D

terrific group!

terrific group!

You all are awesome! And I love the humor here!
Did a lot of you have the silly little questions like me after surgery. Sometimes I feel childish about things.
It's so nice to come home after a hard day at work and read the posts...lots of caring people here with a lot in common which helps a person like me know I'm not the only one in the world who has had this intense event in life.,
Love you all for the responses!
Viki

Viki,

Never, never feel that something is silly if you need an answer. Yes, there is a great deal of humor here but just under the surface is concern and caring. We all were new at one time and had question after question. Please don't ever feel embarrassed to ask anything about anything.

Tom
VikiVix said:
You all are awesome! And I love the humor here!
Did a lot of you have the silly little questions like me after surgery. Sometimes I feel childish about things.
It's so nice to come home after a hard day at work and read the posts...lots of caring people here with a lot in common which helps a person like me know I'm not the only one in the world who has had this intense event in life.,
Love you all for the responses!
Viki

I have the drippy nose. I was told it was the medicine. I have had it for about 10 yr. Mine is so bad that my family keeps a watch for me and tells me quickly it they see it coming before I feel it. I have many of the side issues associated with the medicine. Maybe some of it is just stress or something we just haven't figured out. I have noticed that when my INR is higher that my nose drips more. But this is also supposed to be associated with lanoxin.

What I find strange is not all of us take the same medicine but we have some of the same things happen to us. Maybe the coumadin is the most common bond. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wish you luck and hope that you don't have the drippy nose forever like me.

From time to time, I have the runny nose. It's only slight and not all the time. I'm not on coumadin but take Lipitor. I seem to remember reading runny nose is a possible side effect of statins.

I too have a drippy-nose which I didnt have before surgery...at 16 months it still hasnt dried up...dunno what is causing it ..I always keep a tissue handy.

and YES...I think many of us have what we think are silly little questions after surg., I kept thinking my eyes had been affected by surgery until my Optometrist explained to me that it was regular/boring aging that had caused my need for reading glasses.

Viki?

Viki?

I'm more than 20 years post op, and am still asking this wonderful band of characters questions. I wouldn't feel "at home" without my VR.com. Besides, laughter is good medicine, and between Tom, Ross, Danny, and some of the girls, I do a lot of laughing here!

Latest posts

Back