Blood Pressure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalteser

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well. Quick question. I have been on atenolol for some time now, and recently my cardiologist increased my dose, from 25mg to 1 in morning (25mg) and 1 in the evening (25mg).

I bought a BP machine to test at home, and the readings vary between. 100 - 130 / 40 - 55 with a heart rate of between 49-60. Is the diastolic number not a bit low? I don't feel dizzy or faint, just a bit tired at times, but I can jog and feel good. Should I be worried ?

Can you kindly let me know your thoughts please.

Thankyou all

Well sometimes BP machines can be a little off. 40-55 is a bit low and should be brought up to your doc just to be sure. I would check your BP 2 times a day at the same time everyday for a week and record an average for both times. Make sure when you do your BP it is in a controlled environment and your calm.

Good thing your not feeling dizzy or faint. Being a bit tired would make sense if your BP is that low and being on any kind of drug like that will make you feel "not right" unfortunately, pretty common complaint from people. I'm on metoprolol and I think my BP is a little low and I also think its contributing negatively to my energy and mood levels overall. Hopefully eventually you will be able to get off the drug.

I've been on Atenol for 5 yrs, 25mg/day prior to OHS now 12mg. The distolic seems low but I'm no doctor. Ask him or her. Take your monitor to appt, calibrate with the doctors its more accurate. Also take 5 or more readings at various times-its the average thats more important. Consider your own monitoring is affecting your stress level. Don't worry you're in good hands! Bob

There may be a period of adjustment. I would record it twice a day for a few weeks, and definitely be in touch with the doctor in the interim. You don't want to get dizzy because of low bp. I remember when I was on a double dose my diastolic readings were in the 50s and I didn't love it. But like I said, I think there is a period of adjustment. I am now on 1 dose (25mg) and not convinced that's enough, but I generally am at 120/80 on that...

Latest posts

Back