blood clots and coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

I have a question on behalf of my next door neighbor. SHe had blood clots in her lungs and is on coumadin. Her and her husband are still young, and wanted to have kids later after she graduates from law school. They don't know what caused the blood clots. What should they do? Is it possible for her to have a baby?
Thanks.

I am a pharmacist who specializes in warfarin therapy. Please look at my website www.warfarinfo.com

Having a blood clot and being on warfarin does not 100% rule out having a baby but there are many questions which need to be answered about what caused the blood clot etc.

After looking at the site, please have them contact me [email protected]

Joy

Joy

I was told that in no way to have children while on coumadin. It can cause birth defects. Best way to find out is ask a doctor. My surgeon gave me my information on the coumadin and after surgery, the pharmacy people told me the same thing. So ask and find the answers.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

coumadin & pregnancy

coumadin & pregnancy

It's m y understanding that coumadin is contraindicated in preganacy . ONe would have to inject themsleves with heperin:mad: I was told this by my surgeon .
Tricuspid vale repalment
Dr Valentin Fuster ( my angel )
Dr Randall Greipp
MT Sinai hospital ( New YOrk City)

Warfarin and pregnancy usually do not mix well. There are some problems with birth defects. Weeks 6 to 12 seem to be the worst. Unfortunately with many women this is the time that they discover that they are pregnant.

The Italians have reported that women who take less than 5 mg of warfarin daily have a much higher chance of having a healthy baby than do those who take more. This is about the only thing that I know of involving warfarin where the dose is more important than the INR.

The trouble with injecting yourself with heparin during pregnancy is that nobody knows what dose is sufficient. The National Library of Medicine's Pub Med posted an article today about a woman who was using heparin and clotted off her valve and had to have emergency valve replacement surgery during the pregnancy. The baby was later born without problems and the mother recovered well.

What it boils down to is that each woman who becomes pregnant while taking warfarin is running an experiment on herself. Almost every time it happens, the outcome is reported in a medical journal. Usually it is like the report above - here is what happened and we would try to avoid this in the future. But nobody knows for sure what works.

The question, as posed, did not say that the woman had a heart valve, and the question was being asked by someone else. I supposed that she might have a possibility of having the warfarin stopped after a year or so.

Hey guys, this woman had clots in her lungs and they thought it was bronchitis(military doctors of course), and she ended up in the hospital for like a week. SHe has to take coumadin for it so she doesn't have this happen again. THe problem is, they don't do adequate testing in the military hospital system to find out what could have caused this. I was just wondering if I should tell her to go to a pulmonologist at the UW. I have high respects for that hospital, and no respect for the military health care system.

THat is just what I was wondering about.

If you do not get a better response, contact

U OF WASHINGTON MEDICAL CENTER (206)548-4874
1959 PACIFIC ST-BOX-356015, SEATTLE, WA 98195

This is the anticoagulation clinic. Their director Ann Wittkowsky is one of the leaders in the anticoagulation field.

Latest posts

Back