Bleeding while taking Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

I had my INR tested Tuesday and it was 6.2..The highest its ever been. I stopped taking it for 2 days and yesterday had to go to the ER due to a ovarian cyst and they checked my INR and it was at 5.2..Well in the middle of the night I awoke to a nose bleed and when I blew my nose I had a stringy clot the size of a plum come out and I've been spitting and coughing up clumps of blood all day. I called my cardiologist and he said to withold the Coumadin for 2 more days and have it rechecked in his office on Monday. Does this pund normal to you guys? I think on Monday evening I took 2 Coumadin pills by mistake and thats what caused the high #. Advise please. Im really worried.

In the Er they were concerned with the pain I was having in my lower abdomen I may have had blood pooling up but an ultrasound showed that I had a 3x3 cyst on my left ovary and they gave me Morhine thru my IV and sent me home with Tylenol with codeine. Im hoarse now from coughing up so much blood.

I know it sounds as if its alwyas something with me here lately. Im falling apart here.

The problem here is that we all metabolize the drug at different rates and also we have a wide swing in diets. By all means, follow the Doctors advice, but I think he's going to have it too low when it's checked again. Not a big deal, so don't worry. They need to get you back on track.

As far as the nose bleed, I seem to get them when my INR hits 5. I've been told that the coumadin isn't the problem and they're probably right. I have this oxygen nasal canula stuck to my face 24/7/365 so it has to be drying the passages pretty badly. :)

My coumadin nurse would have prescribed a vitamin K tablet in such a situation -- at least she has threatened to in the past.

I have five cans of V-8 which will lower my INR quickly -- but I have no idea how much.

Alicia,

I am sorry to read of all of your troubles and hope things will improve soon.

Taking extra meds by accident can be very dangerous. I suggest getting a pill box and filling it at the beginning of each week. That should help with taking more meds than prescribed! I know before I had my pill box, I would get into bed and think, "did I take my meds??" It became such a habit that I sometimes just grabbed the pills and didn't really think, "okay, I tooks my meds!" The pillbox would confirm to me (if the section for that day was empty!!) that I had indeed taken my medication.

Hi Alicia,

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I can relate to your 'female issues'. Good to know your cyst did not burst. Keep an eye on that.

On your INR...I would not wait until monday if you have been bleeding. Test again today if you can. Holding 1 day sends me to the bottom. We all metabolize differently....not to say holding two days will do that for you. It is a possibility.
Take care and keep us posted.

PS. Kims idea for the pill box is excellent. I could not do it any other way myself. There have been days when I said "OMG did I take it"?

Last edited:
Alicia,

A pill box is definitely the way to go so you don't "forget" or accidentally take too much. And I agree with trying to get your INR done today, holding coumadin for more than a day could cause the bottom to drop out, I know it did for me a while ago. But, since then (knock wood) I have been within limits.
Hope everything is improving with the bleeding from the cyst.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers
:)

alicia

alicia

You are on a lot of meds, no wonder you got them mixed up, i'm just on 2 meds coumadin (7.5 & 10.0 mgs) and sectral and have to keep to a strick schedule and a pill box.

You are having a rough time of it, when I'm feeling a bit down, before whinning to my family, I think of some of the ones here on the VR board who are going through a lot worst and it shuts me right up.

Your in my prayers,

Terry40

Hey Alicia, I am sorry you are having all these problems. I really hope they get better...What did they say in the ER about your nose bleed? I know in the past when my mom was on a blood thinning med, she had to get her nose cauterized to stop the bleeding. I am glad you went in though. Did you say you had an appointment early march at Duke? I think you should bring it up then, and see what they have to say. Take it easy, alright?
Try to relax, if you need to chat, I'm always online...my address is [email protected], and my name on yahoo and AIM is Kjipaulson as well.

You were right Ross. Now my INR is 1.2
I do have a huge pill organizer and I still managed to overdose on the Coumadin. I had all the symptoms of overdose on it. The bleeding, the fatigue..Even the cyst had blood in it caused by the Coumadin. Im soooo careful with the doseage now.

:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back