Bleeding Precautions after AVR...riding, climbing, hiking, etc.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan CA

Hey Everyone, a question for those with mechanical valves that participate in physical activities after surgery. I plan on getting back to mountain biking and hiking.

Do those of you who ride bikes or climb, etc. take any extra precautions against injury such as knee pads, elbow pads? Also, do you carry anything specific in your first aid kits to deal with the risk of bleeding?

Thanks,
Ryan

My experience is that the extra bleeding is pretty minimal. My INR is normally 2.5-3.0, and I can't really say that I feel that any of the cuts and bruises I have had the last year has been any worse than they used to.
So unless your INR is really high, I don't think you should worry to much.

I have not had any serious injuries though, but live a pretty active outdoor life on my spare time.

Hi

Do those of you who ride bikes or climb, etc. take any extra precautions against injury such as knee pads, elbow pads? Also, do you carry anything specific in your first aid kits to deal with the risk of bleeding?

I second Ola's views and that is also my experience. I've been using power tools in my home reno work and I reckon the circular saw will do as much damage as before. I've scraped myself on things that were sharp (nails) and things bled as they always have ... I didn't find any "Monty Phthon - Black Knight" moments.

I fell a few times this ski season (shh ... don't tell) and the bloody icy tracks are just as sharp and hard (from the previous days impressions which froze over night) and nothing seemed any different to a few years previous.

Hiking we carry a basic medical pack (bandages, tape and gladwrap) and we use a metho stove so disinfection is always handy.

Life is as before (well with one obvious exception for me)

Live life and worry about falling over simply because its not smart to fall over anyway...

No and no. I fall off at least once every mtb ride (once a week), haven't bled to death yet. I didn't even start mtb until after I got my mech valve. Go forth and smash it!!!

I have a "wound care kit" in my purse, my car, my desk at work, and my medicine cabinet. It has WoundSeal (topical powder to stop bleeding), sterile non-stick pads, and a roll of tape. Havn't had to sue it, but it's there and it makes my husband more comfortable.

The only change I've made is for kayaking - I always wear foot protection (water shoes), I used to be barefoot all the time.

I just make sure that I always wear my helmet when riding my bike.

I keep a couple of large band-aids in my gym bag, mostly to keep me from bleeding on my clothes if I cut or nick myself. Don't think I've ever used them.

(I also keep a Tide-to-go stain stick in my desk at work in case I have a shaving nick that bleeds on my collar.)

Mark

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I wasnt planning on giving up riding or anything, just thought some extra precautions might be a good idea. Looks like helmet and gloves, just like pre-surgery may be he best bet. Thanks again.

.......Looks like helmet and gloves, just like pre-surgery may be he best bet. Thanks again.

I've never been a bike rider, so I stayed out of this thread......but your above comment "says it all"....warfarin use requires no more than using common sense while living a normal life.....you can survive even when you don't always use common sense...been there, done that LOL.

Ryan,

As everyone says, you can most likely continue to do the things you love while on Warfarin. Extra precautions means just use common sense. I am a hiker, mountain biker and spend some of my free time with construction work. You may find that you bruise a little more but not bleed. I don't think the increase in risk from falling is as high as many doctors and nurses make it out to be. I however, would avoid sports where you know there's a good chance you will be regularly hitting your head, even with a helmet - full contact football, doing skateboard and snowboard tricks in a half pipe etc... However, some on this site may do those and are just fine!

Thanks Chaconne. I appreciate the input. I know every case is different, but how long did it take for you to get back to 100% on your bike?

Hello, I had OHS last July on the 29th. i had Aortic valve replacement and have ben on Warfarin since, my INR sits between 2.5-3 MOST of the time.
I play Futsal ( indoor soccer ) as a goal keeper and Semi pro outdoor soccer as goal keeper also... i have taken a lot of hits with the ball, kicked, elbowed, and hit the ground hard from pretty high up during dives ( Wood floors for indoor & grass for outdoor ) and i have seen maybe 2 or 3 bruises at the most... even cuts i dont notice they bleed any more then they used to before OHS.

hope this helps.

i have also been kicked in the nose, No bleeding noted at all... i am aware of the dangers and generally very careful in regards to my head, but as a keeper its gonna happen from time to time!

I now use a helmet for biking...didn't ever before.

I find the small cuts from gardening and pulling weeds to be a little bit more annoying, since they bleed about 2x as much and look a little weird. I live in the city on a corner, so blood trails on your arms and legs get looks from passerbys. I now wear gloves while gardening, and if it's rough work a long sleeve T-shirt and long pants.

I've always carried a band aid in my wallet since I was a day camp counselor.

Ryan,

I was back on my bike in 3 months. I waited this long to make sure the sternum was healed. However, I was walking more than a mile after 1 week, running after 3 weeks, back to part-time work in 4 weeks, driving and full-time work after 8 weeks.

I still ride my bike but I no longer ride in traffic and I've never been into mountain biking. I'm also hesitant about getting up on tall ladders to work on the house. I don't worry much about cuts and scrapes. It's trauma, broken bones, head injuries and internal bleeding I'm trying to avoid. Internal injuries in the back-country would be riskier if you couldn't apply pressure to stop the bleeding and weren't within easy access of an ambulance ride to the ER.

Uh, yeah, about that internal bleeding thing and coumadin. Here's a shot from several years ago. I tore a calf muscle running sprints on a track and it took a few days to reach this stage. The tear was actually higher up the leg but it drained down, swelled and discolored the whole thing.

foot1.jpg

Uh, yeah, about that internal bleeding thing and coumadin. Here's a shot from several years ago. I tore a calf muscle running sprints on a track and it took a few days to reach this stage. The tear was actually higher up the leg but it drained down, swelled and discolored the whole thing

Wow Sumo....thats unfortunate. Any lasting effects?

Latest posts

Back