Bjork Shiley "investigation"...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans

Hi everyone,

I´m a frequent reader of this excellent site, and as I´m an "old clicker" with a Bjork Shiley aortic valve I am curious to find out how many of you out there have any experience with this valve. I had my surgery in 1990 and have been doing well during this time. Now I´m trying to find more information on the net about this valve (durability and/or other problems) but it seems very hard, so I have to do my own investigation. So if you have any experience with this valve, please let me know.

Hans

Hi Hans!

Have you entered "Bjork Shiley" in the Search option? If you don't get replies right away, the Search button may be a way to find more info also. Take care and post again!

Hans,

Please note that the following is only for the Bjork-Shiley CC valve so, if you do not have a CC valve, the problem might not exist for you. There is a C in the serial number if you have the CC valve.

I had a Bjork-Shiley CC valve implanted in the mitral position from 1980 until 1994. As you may know, this valve is subject to strut failure but it seems to be limited to the larger sizes (27mm and above).

I had a 25mm and was told there was little chance of failure. However, my surgeon and I decided in 1994 we were not willing to take any more chances and I was having symptoms which could have been attributed to strut failure so we went in and replaced it with a St. Jude. I have never had the valve examined (still have it) because I don't trust Shiley to return it to me so I may never know if the strut did fail.

The durability of the valve otherwise seems to be fine and we have a few members who have had theirs for many years withouth issues.

There is a website that deals with the class action suit against Shiley that has a lot of info about strut failure. You might want to check it out.

http://www.bowling-pfizer.com/documents.htm

Hope this helps some.

Hi geebee,

No I do not have the recalled Bjork-Shiley CC valve.I´v been reading all about this recalled one. If you search the net for Bjork Shiley, all that comes up is about the "Bjork Shiley valve recall". There are no new follow-up information about these valves.
Thanks for your answer.
Take care
Hans

My husband Joe had a Bjork-Shiley aortic valce implanted in 1977. He recently passed away (Dec. 2006) with the BJ still in place and working well until his last second on earth. He did not die of valve failure.

For him this valve was excellent, rugged , however large and clunky by today's standards. He just missed the recall situation. It did give him many anxious moments before it was determined that he did not have the recalled valve.

Have no fear Hans

Have no fear Hans

Hans said:
Hi everyone,

I´m a frequent reader of this excellent site, and as I´m an "old clicker" with a Bjork Shiley aortic valve I am curious to find out how many of you out there have any experience with this valve. I had my surgery in 1990 and have been doing well during this time. Now I´m trying to find more information on the net about this valve (durability and/or other problems) but it seems very hard, so I have to do my own investigation. So if you have any experience with this valve, please let me know.

Hans
In my many years of researching valves, I have never come across a case of Bjork-Shiley valve "wearing" out. There are case studies where they have been replaced around 27-32 years, but only because "they were in there for something else". It was noted by the pathologist who examined the explanted valve that they were remarkable only in the fact of how little ?wear? they had! These are not the recalled
CC Valves Geebee mention, but the early models that as Nancy said are still
going great today. In the case of my last surgery 3 years ago, my doctor decided to leave mine in( now 25 years old last month and doing great). There are better valves for the aortic valve, but since the aortic valve tends not to throw clots, they are just marginally better.

Take satisfaction in your choice that you have had the valve for 17 years and your not facing another surgery - enjoy life!:)

Of course, keep in mind this is just my opinion- but who else would be writing this than me.:rolleyes:

RCB said:
In my many years of researching valves, I have never come across a case of Bjork-Shiley valve "wearing" out. There are case studies where they have been replaced around 27-32 years, but only because "they were in there for something else". It was noted by the pathologist who examined the explanted valve that they were remarkable only in the fact of how little ?wear? they had! These are not the recalled
CC Valves Geebee mention, but the early models that as Nancy said are still
going great today. In the case of my last surgery 3 years ago, my doctor decided to leave mine in( now 25 years old last month and doing great). There are better valves for the aortic valve, but since the aortic valve tends not to throw clots, they are just marginally better.

Take satisfaction in your choice that you have had the valve for 17 years and your not facing another surgery - enjoy life!:)

Of course, keep in mind this is just my opinion- but who else would be writing this than me.:rolleyes:
Well for your information sir, some of us are glad that you ARE writing!

RCB - great info on the valve! Thanks for giving us your opinion.:)

Shiley Valves

Shiley Valves

Hans, Thanks for the post! I have, what I'm told is one of the recalled valves. My understanding is that Shiley is no longer in business in the USA due to this valve. I did talk with a number of ex Shiley employees. One expressed great surprise that I was alive, another was more reassuring, and said strut failure my be linked to surgeons tweaking the valves, and perhaps mne didn't require that, and retained it's original strength...Who knows? In any case, it's still functioning beautifully after 22+ years, so they must have had some good design too. My guess would be that their other valves are quite durable. All the best, Brian

Back