Big surgery coming up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't comment earlier because I "only" had a valve and one CABG done in 2013, but happy to say that, broadly, all went fine. I wasn't expecting the CABG but they decided to do it as there were signs that artery was going to need bypassing in the future, so decided "whilst we're in, let's do it". I am not knowledgeable enough to comment about whether risks of all-in-one surgery increases risks, but it does seem logical to me. The alternative is further surgery sessions, which come with their own repeated risks of course.

The caveat is that I had a complication that can happen to anyone having valve surgery on it's own even: I ended up needing a pacemaker as well. Apparently this affects less than 3% of people, and is why they put in a temporary external pacemaker anyway: just in case it does happen. Inserting the pacemaker was done a week later, and is very minor by comparison. Overall, post surgery I was in hospital 18 days. That was all 10 years ago now, and I am on my second pacemaker.

Jase - I don't know about your hospital. When I had my surgery at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, USA, they sent some text msgs to my brother's cell phone during the surgery.
Thanks 3mm I will see if this is possible as I know some hospitals may have different rules regarding this but I will ask so my wife can be kept updated if its possible.

I didn't comment earlier because I "only" had a valve and one CABG done in 2013, but happy to say that, broadly, all went fine. I wasn't expecting the CABG but they decided to do it as there were signs that artery was going to need bypassing in the future, so decided "whilst we're in, let's do it". I am not knowledgeable enough to comment about whether risks of all-in-one surgery increases risks, but it does seem logical to me. The alternative is further surgery sessions, which come with their own repeated risks of course.

The caveat is that I had a complication that can happen to anyone having valve surgery on it's own even: I ended up needing a pacemaker as well. Apparently this affects less than 3% of people, and is why they put in a temporary external pacemaker anyway: just in case it does happen. Inserting the pacemaker was done a week later, and is very minor by comparison. Overall, post surgery I was in hospital 18 days. That was all 10 years ago now, and I am on my second pacemaker.
Thanks Andy, I will just put my faith in my surgeon who is to perform this lengthy operation, in the hope that I pop out the otherside. My Cardiologist say's I should just focus on the recovery part and try not to over think the surgery as this is out of my control.

Thanks

My Cardiologist say's I should just focus on the recovery part and try not to over think the surgery as this is out of my control.
This is really good advice. The truth is, valve surgery is easy.............for the patient anyway. They give you something that will make you feel very relaxed and comfy and then the next thing you know, you wake up with a new valve. It could not be any easier from the patient side. Best to focus on the recovery when it's your turn to do your part, but for now just relax and let the incredibly skilled team do their thing.

Latest posts

Back