Big news here!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debrinha GT

I'd like to be able to explain this to you in English but I don't think I'm able to put it into writing. It's about this new technique developed by Brazilian doctors from the state I live in, by using stem cells taken from the pateint's bone marrow and also cells removed from a muscle in his leg. They're then joined together in the lab. I think this is very interesting and I'll try and get Robert, my husband to translate this article for me when he has some spare time. For the time being, whoever's able to understand some Spanish, should be able to read and understand it a bit, and if possible, explain to the other members what it's all about. Have you read about it before?
Débora

Sáb, 28 Mai - 09h27
Técnica pioneira de transplante celular regenera coração

Agência Estado

O Laboratório de Engenharia e Transplante Celular, do Núcleo de Miocardioplastia Celular da Pontifícia Universidade Católica (PUC) do Paraná, está desenvolvendo uma técnica de recuperação do coração lesado que usa duas células diferentes do próprio paciente, cultivadas em laboratório juntas. O método foi aplicado no primeiro paciente humano e os resultados preliminares animam o grupo de pesquisadores, que acreditam ser uma alternativa ao transplante cardíaco.

O cardiologista Paulo Roberto Brofman, professor da PUC e pesquisador do laboratório, explica que o método utiliza células musculares e células-tronco adultas para regenerar o músculo cardíaco e formar novos vasos sanguíneos, essenciais para que o tecido do coração seja alimentado.

Início em 2002

A equipe de pesquisa, que começou a trabalhar em 2002, recebeu neste ano da Comissão Nacional de Ética e Pesquisa, do Ministério da Saúde, a autorização para testar a técnica em dez pacientes. O primeiro deles, J.L.V., de 40 anos, morador de Joinville (SC), apresentava seqüelas de um enfarte do miocárdio e foi tratado há 20 dias. "Ele está muito bem", afirma Brofman. "No primeiro exame de pós-operatório, já deu sinais de recuperação da função contrátil na área da cicatriz, o que demonstra a possível assimilação do coração por essas novas células transplantadas."

Brofman acredita que nos próximos seis meses já estará concluída a chamada fase de segurança da pesquisa, com a apresentação dos resultados do procedimento realizado nos dez pacientes para a comissão de ética. Depois, eles esperam expandir o trabalho para um número maior de pessoas, abrindo espaço para a participação de outras instituições médicas interessadas "para que possa ser adotado como mais um dos tratamentos oferecidos para a insuficiência cardíaca".

Longo processo

A nova terapia celular tem sido desenvolvida desde o início dos anos 1990 por pesquisadores como o cardiologista paranaense Márcio Scorsin, que realizou experiências na França, onde trabalha. Ele utilizou células do músculo esquelético, retirado da perna de um rato, que tem capacidade de se regenerar. Em laboratório, as células foram isoladas e multiplicadas para posteriormente ser injetadas na região lesada do coração do animal.

Os bons resultados obtidos na regeneração do músculo cardíaco permitiram que, em 2000, o comitê ético francês autorizasse experiências com humanos. Na mesma época, a pesquisa com células-tronco começava a despontar no tratamento de cardiopatias.

As células-tronco possuem a capacidade virtual de formar qualquer tipo de tecido do corpo humano. Contudo, durante testes para a formação do tipo cardíaco, só uma pequena porcentagem dessas células cumpriu a função, explica Brofman. No entanto, elas criavam novos vasos sanguíneos no órgão.

"Como são fundamentais os dois componentes - regeneração do tecido muscular e novos vasos -, tivemos a idéia de uni-los", diz. A célula-tronco é obtida da medula óssea do paciente, que vai resultar na formação dos vasos cardíacos, e a outra vem de uma biópsia no músculo da perna, que possibilitará o retorno da função contrátil. Em laboratório é realizada a co-cultura para que ambas se multipliquem em conjunto. "Na literatura não há nada publicado sobre esse método", afirma Brofman.

"Padrão ouro"

A insuficiência cardíaca é um quadro clínico que pode decorrer da falta de capacidade de as células do músculo cardíaco se reproduzir e substituir as lesadas por enfartes, doenças inflamatórias ou mal de Chagas (que provoca a dilatação do coração). Nessas condições, o órgão tem a função contrátil comprometida, o que dificulta o bombeamento do sangue para o corpo.

"O tratamento que nós chamamos de 'padrão ouro', neste caso, é o transplante cardíaco", diz Brofman. Contudo, ele lembra que, no Brasil, País em que aparecem 240 mil casos de insuficiência cardíaca por ano e onde são realizados apenas 150 transplantes no mesmo período, se torna urgente a busca de uma alternativa. No mundo, a situação não é diferente: calcula-se em 25 milhões o acréscimo anual de pacientes com esse quadro clínico, dos quais apenas 3 mil conseguem um órgão para transplante.

Problemas cardíacos são a quarta causa de internamento no Sistema Único de Saúde (SUS), consumindo R$ 260 milhões dos cofres públicos anualmente, e respondem por 35% dos atestados de óbitos. "A maioria dos pacientes fica à mercê de tratamento clínico, que é muito eficiente, porém não resolve a causa-base, que é a falência do coração", lamenta Brofman. "Mas nós acreditamos que o transplante celular também ajuda."

Deborah is this it??

Cities

Cell-trunk
Cellular therapy regenerates muscle cardiac

Been Evandro Fadel-Agência

The Laboratory of Engineering and Cellular Transplant of the Nucleus of Cellular Miocardioplastia of Pontifícia Universidade Católica (PUC) of the Paraná is developing one technique of recovery of the heart injured that uses two different cells of the proper patient, cultivated in laboratory together. The method was applied in the first human patient and the preliminary results liven up the group of researchers, that believe to be an alternative to the cardiac transplant.

The cardiologista Pablo Robert Brofman, professor of the PUC and researcher of the laboratory, explains that the method uses adult muscular cells and cell-trunk to regenerate the muscle cardiac and to form new sanguineous vases, essential so that the fabric of the heart is fed.

The research team, that started to work in 2002, received in this year from the National Commission from Ethics and Research, of the Health department, the authorization to test the technique in ten patients.

The first one of them, J.L.V., of 40 years, inhabitant of Joinville (SC), presented sequels of an infarct of the myocardium and was treated has 20 days. "It is very well", affirms Brofman. "In the first examination of postoperative, already he gave signals of recovery of the contrátil function in the area of the scar, what he demonstrates the possible assimilation of the heart for these new transplantadas cells."

Brofman believes that in next the six months already the call will be concluded phase of security of the research, with the presentation of the results of the carried through procedure the ten patients for the ethics commission. Later, they wait to expand the work for a number bigger of people, opening space for the participation of other interested medical institutions "so that she can be adopted as plus one of the treatments offered for the cardiac insufficience".

The new cellular therapy has been developed since the beginning of years 1990 for researchers as the paranaense cardiologista Márcio Scorsin, that carried through experiences in France, where works. It used cells of the esquelético muscle, removed of the leg of a rat, that have capacity of if regenerating. In laboratory, the cells isolated and had been multiplied later to be injected in the injured region of the heart of the animal.

The good results gotten in the regeneration of the cardiac muscle had allowed that, in 2000, the French ethical committee authorizeed experiences with human beings. At the same time, the research with cell-trunk started to blunt in the treatment of cardiopathies.

CAPACITY - the cell-trunk possesss the virtual capacity to form any type of fabric of the human body. However, during tests for the formation of the cardiac type, a small percentage of these cells only fulfilled the function, explains Brofman. However, they created new sanguineous vases in the agency.

"As the two components are basic - regeneration of the fabric muscular and new vases -, had the uniz idea them", say. The cell-trunk is gotten of the óssea marrow of the patient, who goes to result in the formation of the cardiac vases, and to another one she comes of a biópsia in the muscle of the leg, that will make possible the return of the contrátil function.

In laboratory the co-culture is carried through so that both are multiplied in set. "In literature it does not have nothing published on this method", affirms Brofman.

WEAK HEART - the cardiac insufficience is a clinical picture that can elapse of the lack of legal capacity of the cells of the cardiac muscle if reproduce and substituirem the injured ones for infarcts, inflammatory illnesses or badly of Chagas (that it provokes the dilatação of the heart). In these conditions, the agency has the compromised contrátil function, what it makes it difficult the bombardment of the blood for the body.

"the treatment that we call ' standard gold ', in this in case that, it is the cardiac transplant", it says Brofman. However, it remembers that in Brazil, country where they appear 240 a thousand cases of cardiac insufficience per year and where are carried through only 150 transplants in the same period, if it becomes urgent the search of an alternative. In the world, the situation is not different: the annual addition of patients with this clinical picture is calculated in 25 million, of which only 3 a thousand obtains an agency for transplant.

Cardiac problems are the fourth cause of internment in the Only System of Saúde (SUS), consuming R$ 260 million the public coffers annually, and answer for 35% of the death certificate ones. "the majority of the patients is at the mercy of of clinical treatment, that is very efficient, however does not decide the cause-base, that is the bankruptcy of the heart", Brofman laments. "But we also believe that the cellular transplant aid.

Great!

Great!

Thanks Yaps, that's it!! Where did you find it? Don't tell me you've translated it yourself!?? If you did, congratulations!!
Débora :)

Hi Debora:

Intentional thread hijack here!! Although I'm glad Yaps found this article for you, and I will read it a little later, I have a question. Have you read the last private message that my wife sent you? She's waiting for a translation of her message in the form of a response!! I'm just playing Miss Debora, but please do read it if you haven't already. Cindy enjoys your emails. Okay.

One comment about the article. Portugeuse looks like a combination of spanish and french. I tried to decipher some of it, but Yaps made it much easier.

Wise (& Cindy)

I just cut and pasted the entro and googled it, lol it take me years to translate... :eek: glad I could help..

Just in case this happens again, AltaVista has a translation page that will translate words you type in, or whole web pages. It works for many different languages and is free. The web address is http://babelfish.altavista.com/

- John

Back