Big gaping hole!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post-op I had some problems with my chest tube incisions healing-esp
one of them,it must have taken about 6 weeks or more. It kept on
granulating,then scabbing over,but it didn't look right,so I would press
on it and drainage would seep out. So, initially I would clean it, give it
some more time but the drainage(purosanguinous-half pus,half blood)
was still there so I had to pull the whole scab off and start over and
I had to do this a couple times before it finally healed. What I did was
cleaned it out with a betadine /peroxide mix,dry it with sterile pads,and
then cover it with the real thin layer gauze so it will dry out-unless I
was going outside or going to be cleaning or something. I also had to
dab it with betadine a couple times a day and not let it stay damp after
a shower or if sweating. I am an R.N. graduate and it took all of my so-
called skills to heal this 1/2 inch wound!:eek: Just make sure to note what
type of drainage it is..so you know if it is getting infected,you may need
some antibiotics to help it along.
My Best-Dina

BTW-what Nancy said about helping it to granulate is a good idea,
with large wounds you can 'pack it' with a little sterile gauze,but
with smaller ones you can pull the edges together.

dang these small holes would be a thrill for me! Had colon/hernia surgery 2 months ago and I still have a hole in my chest that is 1 3/4 inches long and 1 inch wide. This is after it has been healing for 2 months. Have to pack it with gauze twice a day, look at the biological mesh at the bottom of the hole an wait for it to heal on its own. Been to the plastic surgeon every 2 weeks, finally he said it was looking good enough to wait 3 weeks for the next visit. I am wondering if this thing will ever fill in.

dang these small holes would be a thrill for me! Had colon/hernia surgery 2 months ago and I still have a hole in my chest that is 1 3/4 inches long and 1 inch wide. This is after it has been healing for 2 months. Have to pack it with gauze twice a day, look at the biological mesh at the bottom of the hole an wait for it to heal on its own. Been to the plastic surgeon every 2 weeks, finally he said it was looking good enough to wait 3 weeks for the next visit. I am wondering if this thing will ever fill in.

I had one of those 3 years ago. Not fun.

I'm going to post a photo. So for the feint of heart, don't look at the next post! ;)

My BIG gaping wound. After it had been healing for a month already! :eek: Thank goodness this one doesn't look like that!

Niki,

These are a bit expensive but you leave them on for up to 4 or 5 days. You can shower and bathe without worrying about the wound. You need to give it plenty of time to heal.

Oh, the pic is not of the current gaping wound. That's from 3 years ago (and eventually it closed MOST of the way, but a tiny corner kept breaking open and I finally went to a plastic surgeon and had him close it up for me). The one I have now is much smaller (thank goodness). I know it will close eventually. It's just annoying that it keeps oozing when all of the other incisions are doing great. I wish they'd put a stitch in. Then I know it would be closing up by now!

I'm planning to leave the butterfly strip on for a few days and see how that works out. It says it is "water proof" so hopefully it will stay put in the shower.

How long did it take before the thing was gone? It seems like this is taking forever.

I don't remember specifically, but I know it was several months (and yes, it felt like it was taking forever!). I was opened up the last week of January and finally gave up on that last little bit closing in early June. But it was "mostly" closed by May, I'm pretty sure.

The first 3 weeks I had a "wound vac" which had a constant suction going at the site to help speed up the healing process. Once it got to where you could actually see the back end of the hole (like it is in the picture), they stopped with the vac and went to just packing it and changing the dressing every day. My husband was in nursing school at the time, which is why he decided to take the picture. He wanted it for show and tell. ;)

Hope that gives you some helpful perspective on your situation. I know it's not fun dealing with wound care for so long after a procedure!

My wife is going to be thrilled she as to do this twice a day for the next 4 months lol. I have been told till the hole is completely healed I can't lift anything heavier than about 10# which is somewhat of a problem. Makes a lot of things difficult to do.

Latest posts

Back