Bicuspid valve or Rheumatic Fever ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
For 42+ years, I thought, and doctors never corrected me, that my heart valve damage was the result of misdiagnosed Rheumatic Fever. Recently I changed Cardios(my first change in 42 years) and in reviewing some of my old medical records, noticed a one line sentence in a checkup I had in 1997 by my old Cardio....."most likely a bicuspid valve, not rheumatic fever". My new cardio, who I saw for the first time today, confirmed that it probably was a bicuspid valve. He said that back when I had the surgery, because of the science at the time, they blamed most heart valve damage on rheumatic fever. He said the only way to know for sure would have been thru testing of the removed valve. He and I agreed that, for me, the true cause of my problem is no longer a big issue, but he thought I might suggest to my sons that they be checked if we want to be sure the problem has not been passed down to them. My mother and sister both died at 69 of "heart attacks". Needless to say, this new news, after all these years, floored me.

I guess I'll have to start reading the "bicuspid valve forum":p.

Since I had rheumatic fever, and my brother often had strep, when he started experiencing heart problems in the late 80's, the doctors assumed it was as a result of misdiagnosed rheumatic fever. However, his aortic valve was actually a tricuspid valve with a shriveled leaflet (congenital). It wasn't diagnosed correctly until they opened him up. Is it possible that your pathology report from your original surgery could be obtained? I would think that even way back then, the pathologist would have had to examine the valve and would have noticed if it was BAV. I worked for a pathologist in the early 80's and every tissue removed was sent to him for at least a physical examination.

As far as we know, no one else in our family has this problem, although since it wasn't a true BAV, I'm not sure it would be considered genetic.

Dick...Im sure your taken aback by that news but just because you may have had a bicuspid valve doesn't mean you necessarily handed it down. When I was diagnosed I had my boys checked and both were cleared with no issues.

Latest posts

Back