Bicuspid Aortic Valve Replacement - Tissue vs. Mechanical for a young guy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sue,
Now it is all fitting in place. The very first visit that I had with my surgeon, his words were "you are going to be hurtin"...LOL..dam I hate it when they are always right. He told me because of muscle tone, that they don't like being stretched and put in the positions during surgery..so what you have just told me reminded me totally. I guess that is what he was talking about. I was thinking it was going to be more in my pec area where most of the pain was going to be. But you are right..Oh well not a big deal..I'll get through it and get through it well..just a little discomfort as compared to what things could have been...I'll take this scenario any day..

Thnx again,
BA

Brian,

My muscle spasms post surgery were actually in my right chest. I had my surgery via a heartport procedure and spasms are not uncommon following that.

Several years ago, in the months prior to back surgery, I had horrible spasms in my right leg, thigh, and hip so I can relate to that as well. The worst pain of my entire life! Far worse than labor. I sure hope yours clear up soon.

When did you all notice the change?

When did you all notice the change?

Hi again,
It has now been 3 weeks and 2 days since my AVR and in the last 4 days have I ever noticed a huge change in how I am feeling. I am really getting back to my old self in the way I feel and energy level..lack of aches and pains, etc. Of course I am not going to get goofy and start doing things that I know I shouldn't, but never the less it is a good feeling to really feel like my old self again. My question to you all, when did you begin to kick into high gear as far as the healing goes? I can tell the sternum has begun to heal up, any stinging sensations have more or less deminished. I am drinking a lot of milk, eating my normal amounts of yogurt, so the calcium intake should be helping heal the bones. I am not a coffee drinker, just a cup fo tea in the morn (green and black tea blended)..Ya I know...LOL...Warafin..green tea...LOL...
Anyway I just was curious on how everyone else's recovery was and when the changes began.

Have a good one, :cool:

Brian

Hi Brian

It takes 6 to 8 weeks for the sturnum to completely heal. Don't lift anything heavy or try to pull a heavy door open. You should start your strenghth training at 3 weeks and use light weights and more reps. Don't be afraid to exercise. Just be carefull and add weight very gradually along with increased reps. Rest days between workout days.

I followed the above and my sturnum was healed at 8 weeks. I was then able to do push-ups with little or no discomfort.

You should be able to do cardiovascular exercise by walking briskly. Add to your distance gradully. Don't try to overdo any one workout. If you feel up to it you can add light jogging short distances at 8 weeks.

How fast you recover is also determined by the shape you were in prior to surgery. I was able to run a half marathon at 12 weeks.This was my second OHS and I am 60 years old.

Good Luck,

John

Some Funny thoughts

Some Funny thoughts

Through all of this, I have tried to make the best of things and not let any of this get me down. Here are a few more things that have made me laugh the other day. A friend picked me up to get me out of the house and give me some new scenery. We went into the city to do some errands last Friday. We were in Costco and I was standing at the tills...I looked around and said Oh My God..they are all out to get me..this Vitamine K epidemic is going to cover me up and smother me. The lady ahead of me had a box of lettuce, the people beside me had fresh brocolli and an other had a bag of fresh spinach...LOL...too funny..it was like a conspiracy...LOL... Before I had the surgery I would have never noticed any of it..LOL.. :D
Then we stopped at a small restarant for a quick lunch, we sat down and the picture of the drink special had a sprig of asparagus sticking out of the glass, just like celery with a Cesar...LOL.. then I asked what the soup of the day was..answer...Cream of spinach...LOL.. Way TOO FUNNY..and this was all in the matter of an hour's time :eek:

I still giggle about it, it's almost like we have been invaded by the aliens..only they come in the form of Dark Green vegetables.... :D

I think laughter is the best medicine through this all and I am going to continue..so far it seems to be working..

Have a Grrreat day!!!! ;)

Brian

Bill's comment about aortic valve repair

Bill's comment about aortic valve repair

Hey Bill,

FYI--I had my aortic valve repaired at the Cleve. Clinic by Cosgrove in 1992. I think I was #60 something in the US. At least that is what I remember. I was one of the better stats. because I got 9 years out of the repair. Lots of turbulance out of the aortic valve-Swoosh when that left ventricle squeezes. I guess after 12-15 million hear beats the stitching came apart and that was it for me. Now, I have a Carbomedics mechanical.

Someone else made a comment that no matter what decision you make, your life is changed.

So, so true....

Greg

Welcome Eddie

Welcome Eddie

Welcome to this wonderful site. I myself am going through somewhat the same situation as you. I am a 40 year old very active male who needs to have my aortic valve replaced and my mitrol valve might be able to be fixed. Still hemming and hawing over valve selection. I am into martial arts and a meat cutter as my profession so bleeding is a valid worry for me. The clicking thing is a issue also because i am a thin guy. Only about 130 lbs. At this site i have gotten alot of support and information that has helped me immensley. In the next two days i am meeting with two surgeons to discuss my situation. I am very confidant with these guys and haven't even met them yet. The first one is Dr. Baumgartner, head cardio surgeon at Johns Hopkins hospital. The other one is Dr. Gammie from the University of Maryland Hospital. Some of you may have seen his webcast of a minimally invasive mitrol valve surgery. So both doctors are da man, lol. Anyway, welcome Eddie. Look around :eek: , dig in and good luck, Jed P.S. thanks Hank for this site.. :)

I have read that the sternum heals in 10-14 weeks. The limit on lifting (and driving) is because of the sternum, not the muscles. The sternum is held together with wires from the beginning, and too much force on it can pull it back apart, if it's not fully healed. It takes a while to fuse back together properly. Note that the way the muscles are anchored, they tend to pull the sternum apart when they are tensed for pulling or pushing.

Fortunately, the muscles also hurt, and that helps keep most people from overdoing it.

I have been over the lifting limit a few times, but did so slowly and carefully, and I was prepared to just drop things immediately if I felt anything untoward.

I'm five weeks out today too, Brian. Happy anniversary.

Bob,
Thanks for the info regarding the time lines for healing. They keep saying 6 weeks..6 weeks..6 weeks, but what you said has confirmed it with me. I know that 6 weeks isn't long enough totally for it to be completely healed. I can feel that. I am a firm believer in making things tougher though by use. It is a proven fact that osteperosis (I likely spelled that wrong) is somewhat reveresed by stressing the bones..i.e. excercise..weights... I have been holding small weights (4 LBS) in my hands when I do my walking and running excercises and am thinking that it is also toughening up the sternum to a certain extent. All I know, it doesn't sting as much after I started doing this regime' than it did before..not that it was a big problem..but the stinging sensation got me from time to time. We all know, everyone heals differently..it might not work for the next person.. :)
Yes..happy anniversary...it sure feels good to be at this stage of the game. I go and see the cardiologist on May 20th and the surgeon on May 25th...LOL..then they'll tell me after I have been back to work for 2 or 3 weeks..that I can go back to work.... :eek: :confused: :eek:
Back to work has been great, it really feels good to get back in the grind..my job is some what physical, I have to pump oil by hand from drums daily into other tanks, and by going slowly, it has been no problem. Lukily it is only 1 or 2 gallons at each stop. I had some farmers/ranchers close a barbed wire gate that I had to go through the other day...I sat outside of it in my truck on the phone for about 15 minutes..working up the courage to carefully open it back up..it went OK and I was DAM CAREFULL. We can do things, it just takes a little more caution and thought before we tackle the job or task..we can't rush into things like we used to..no more reflex tasks until everything is completely healed. One thing I am surprised, I am not tired at all and my days have been as long as 10 hrs +, I was trying to pace myself, but it seems that things are a lot better now than what they were pre-op...and THAT is a GREAT THING!!!!! :D

I can't disagree with the light weights and careful training. I'm also a firm believer in move it or lose it. And, I'm exersizing myself, carefully, so I couldn't talk if I wanted to.

The key is not to do something that is wrenching, or a sudden, powerful move that might separate the still-fusing sternum. Most weight training doesn't involve sudden movements (forget the clean-and-jerk), so it's probably doing exactly what you and John B. suspect - strengthening the bonds in the bone, as well as the muscles.

And those chest muscles definitely need to get back in shape, as those pecs have been first damaged, then coddled for a few weeks.

This is going to sound weird, but I swear that, uh, "certain parts" of my chest fell an inch or so from the surgery. I mean, in a way that would be devastating to a lady. I'm definitely exersizing to bring that part of my chest back to where things were. Oddly, the strength still seems to be there. Things just shifted in a disappointing way. Note, gals: It makes a guy look older, too...

Bob

Bob

Maybe you need a Wonderbra or an 18 hour Playtex :D :D :D I burned all my bras after my surgery. Didn't need them anymore. :D :D My chest incision brought them in and up.. :p :p :p ....and out. :D :D Only wear light weight sport bras now..and soft Barely There. :D Oh..how I don't miss bras..even at my age. :D Thank you Dr. Brown (My surgeon)... :D Bonnie

Bob,
About the statement about the falling...chest muscles...Yes you are right. I used to have a weight lifter's chest. Now it is a pensioner's chest...LOL..if you know what I mean :mad: . I can't wait until I can get back to the weight bench and do some flys and push some weights as well as do my regular routine of push ups...yes looking in the mirror has made me go YUK!!...LOL..No offense to anyone else..it just isn't how I am used to seeing myself. In time.... I lifted 5 gallon jugs of water today with out using my arms very much..it is amazing how creative we can get when we have to. I rolled each jug onto my knee and then used my leg and knee to get it up where I needed it and then rolled it onto the counter with my hands & arms..now how is that for being creative?..LOL.. :D

OK here it goes

OK here it goes

Hello to all new people and hey there to the many longtime friends I have met!
I am now 52, have a mechanical valve and I can truey say the only thing I have changed was to make my diet consistant. I still pla sports, but watch my head. I still party, I still rock, I still fish.
Instead of being concerned about the future and type of valve ( I had no choice in the make and model), become comfident in your medical staff and hospital. I saw it mentioned the it will affect your life. I have been absent from the site for a few months because frankly the experiance was overwhelming and it finally caught up with me.
Coumadan? Ha! not and issue. Ticking, drives my nuts sometimes but just like when you have a car with noisy lifters, turn the radio up. Dude, it's cool and life is great. Use it and live it.
carbo

Bonny
I could have used those bras as my chest muscles are still SORE SORE. My strenum is a little sore when I deep breath. I guess driving, clipping dogs dosnt have any effect on being sore. I pay everytime I get behind the wheel and do other stuff so I just suffer through the pain. I am BORED BORED. But at least I am sore and bored at home AMEN for that. :)

Lee,
You are still pretty fresh off of the operating table, you'll find from here on in, that each day and definately each week, you will find big changes, by leaps and bounds. I reached a certain point that I could notice daily the changes of improvement..little yes..but they all added up daily and at the end of the week..they were great improvements.. I notice my sternum is a little more sore, when I don't do the walks with my hand weights..I've gotta keep excercising to toughen it up..LOL..

Lee,
Can you tell me , what is the Maze procedure and what is the paracardial window? I'm just wondering is all.

Thnx,

Brian
Just to make it short. Maze is where they cut open the atrium and burn scare tissuse to stop a-fib. That has been a great success. The pericardial Window was when the went back in a cut open the sack that your heart is in and they drained all the fluid and blood off of me. 1.5 liters to be exact.

Thats just the way I understand it someone else may commint that knows more than me.

New Non evasive Aortic Replacement done last week.

New Non evasive Aortic Replacement done last week.

Hi Eddie:
I'm 35 had an AVR 2/3/05. Have a Carpentier-Edwards Bovine valve. I Work in longtermcare and see what coumadin does to the elderly, not pretty. Being in Bands my self (vocalist). I've known many drummers and know the abuse you guys put your hands and fingers through. Coumadin not only thins the blood it may make u swell in your hands, with the intense force you may use while u kit the skins. Alot of drummers joints get sore which could possibly lead to bruising. Hopefully in a few years the less-invasive AVR procedure will be widespread for us. Rock on Dude. Hope my perspective helps.
Efrain AKA Tucsonmoovalve

Tucsonmoovalve said:
Hi Eddie:
I'm 35 had an AVR 2/3/05. Have a Carpentier-Edwards Bovine valve. I Work in longtermcare and see what coumadin does to the elderly, not pretty. Being in Bands my self (vocalist). I've known many drummers and know the abuse you guys put your hands and fingers through. Coumadin not only thins the blood it may make u swell in your hands, with the intense force you may use while u kit the skins. Alot of drummers joints get sore which could possibly lead to bruising. Hopefully in a few years the less-invasive AVR procedure will be widespread for us. Rock on Dude. Hope my perspective helps.
Efrain AKA Tucsonmoovalve

Can you explain what you see on the elderly? I thought that the problems with Coumadin only exist if the INR is not very well measured and maintained.
From my understanding self-testing should solve all problems.

Dirk

Response to Dirk

Response to Dirk

Yeah sure I will tell you what I see. The skin gets very thin almost see through. Skin tears are frequent, bruising is frequent, Razor shaving for men is dangerous. They get labs on a regular basis. I've worked in Occupational Therapy for 9 years mostly in Longtermcare. This is just what I've seen, possibly they haven't monitored their medication. 97% of the time I can look at a Resident(patient) and can tell that they are on coumadin or a blood thinner just by how the skin looks.
Thx.

Latest posts

Back