Better than before?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rehab was walking as much as I could up to the 8 week mark and then getting back on my road bike. Within a year, my cycling times were back to what they were. Then I had a big crash and ended up in a wheelchair for 8 weeks; that was about 1.5 years ago and I'm not quite back to where I was, but close.

The only thing I've noticed with the valve is that my resting heart rate is a little higher than it was pre-surgery. But I had an aneurism repair and a Maze procedure too, so it is likely the Maze procedure has increased my resting rate. It went up from the mid 40's as a 57 year old to the high 50's as a 61 year old.

Do what your body tells you is okay to do and you'll be better than ever.

Hello all,

I'm 5 weeks post op and feel better in most ways than before, still some tenderness and I KNOW when I've over done it as my body just screams for sleep.

Pre surgery I couldn't work out or swim or run or ride a bike at any decent pace without fainting or almost fainting with chest pains. Now I feel allot stronger and just want to get out there to the gym and start my new life and new heart.

I start cardo rehab within the next 2 weeks and am told I should breeze through it and move onto my local gym within 4 weeks. Fingers crossed.

I was a MVR repair aged 27....

I definitely feel better than I did prior to surgery. I do not have any data to back it up but I feel better, look better and am generally healthier (touch wood) and I hope to stay that way. I had a valve repair and an enlarged heart also. My doc was the same and gave me no restrictions on activity and encourages me to be as active as possible. It sounds like your surgery was a success and I would guess that over the next year or so you should feel stronger and stronger. Best wishes with the new parts, sounds like you are making good use of your new found health.
John

Back