Beta Blockers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodi

A running friend asked this question and I certainly don't know the answer. I know there have been several comments on this forum so thought I ask it for her. "How do Beta Blockers affect running and fitness in general?"
I'd really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

Hi Kodi,

I would think how a person responds athletically to a beta blocker will have to do with the dosage as well as the specific activity in which they are engaged. I used to be a runner and did a lot of 10Ks (about 38min). I have been a cyclist for the last 10 years and had my valve replacement surgery 15 weeks ago. I resumed my riding about 9 weeks ago. I'm on a beta blocker now and should be for at least the next 6 weeks. It prevents me from reaching the max HR I could hit before my surgery, which was about 180 (it's165 now but it seems to be working it's way up). I'm finding it's not nearly as limiting as I expected. I also lift weights and have not noticed any problems. About 30 years ago, I was put on a beta blocker to try to reduce migraines. At that time I was playing football and there I had some difficulty. I was unable to do the pure sprinting, quick, explosive movements required for that sport. Now, I ride very hard, climb hills and even do sprints. I can spin the pedals at about 170 rpms. I expect I'll do even better when I get off the beta blocker but for me, it's really not a problem. What kind of running does your friend do?

Hi Kodi,
I've read many of those same posts about beta blockers, but I don't know that I've found the pill to be an issue with my running. Admittedly, I'm on a small daily dose, but I can easily get my heart rate up when running hard or lifting and have no problem hitting my max (about 188) when I push (don't intentionally do that often, though--pass it accidentally consistently, however).

On the other side, heavy fatigue is certainly more common since surgery and can influence my workouts. That, of course, can't be ascribed to just the beta blocker. Being tired at times just seems like the deal for now.

One last thing worth noting: I did have to try several pills before finding one that allowed me to exercise in the way what I wanted. That may be the best thing for your friend to consider. Make sure it's clear to the physicians that he/she wants to try out a few options until finding the best possible choice.

Hope that helps.
--Brad

Depends on the dosage but any amount will slow you down. The purpose after all is to lower the max HR. It can be counteracted by caffeine. One's making your heart race, the other trying to block it, so stay away from caffeine and other uppers entirely.

i'm pre-op so just trying to stay in shape, not going for max hr. with my aortic valve
going in the crapper, i've gone from 75-mile training weeks and a 3-hour marathon
to 2 miles 2-3x/week. 2 miles is my max now. i'm not out of breath, can still chat
with the hot chicks on electric scooters as i'm passing them while running, but at the
end of 2 miles i just have no energy to go on.

was put on 50mg atenolol (2x25 daily) and noticed a definite decrease in speed,
although no change in endurance. 2 mile time was 16:30 with a final hr of 130.

got permission from the doctor to drop the bb and double ace-i from 5 to 10mg.
2 mile time immediately dropped to 15:00 with a final hr of 155-160. no change in endurance,
body is still too tired to go on, not out of breath.

don't know if bb has affected my cycling. i'm used to long-distance touring with a
175-pound bicycle (front+rear panniers, bob trailer, 5 gallons h2o), 100 mile days,
5 days/week, through the australian outback. off days usually did 10-15 mile hikes.

haven't tried that recently, but no problems leisurely climbing hills for 2-3 hours.

Thank you all for your responses. I forwarded them to her. She runs most distances but does more marathons and 1/2 marys than the others.

Latest posts

Back